thirty bees forum

squoosh.app to optimize your images - new and easy

DRMasterChief

Yeah, it uses a different library. This runs under node, so people would need node set up and would need to run a node server in a different location.

As far as image optimization, most of the time you can do it locally for things such as sliders and graphics. For products using the imagemagik library works well. The savings are so minimal most of the time that it is really negated in connection speed these days.

I was curious and I wanted to ask you something for a long time because you know the inner workings.

When we upload product image the system makes couple of new files and when I check my site agains google page speed it always says they can be further compressed. Of course those advices are per their resolution and are most of those savings are from resizing them to lower res but this does not work for higher ones.

Can't we use such services like kraken.io or resmushit to file down few more kb off those newly generated jpegs? Something like this resmush module but with more details and probably ajax upload to solve timeout problems like we had with image regeneration was solved in TB?

Or can't we put those libaries in imagick module so those image metas be stripped by the module when generating the product images? And not uploaded somewhere and then downloaded - potentially speeding up image upload when creating products.

Now if we want to optimize those images we have to pay for kraken and upload the file structure in folders and FTP them back on our server.

There are already modules on the market that work with both of those, https://www.presteamshop.com/

Kraken is not an open source library, it is a closed source service.

As far as putting them in a module, it would likely be something we would not do, just because there is alternative that is not badly priced on the market.

Some can. It just depends on the library really. Imagemagik requires a php extension to be enabled that is only used on about 30% of live servers. So that is a big reason why we cannot put it in the core. But using other services other than GD can add new requirements too, so we have to evaluate that.

@lesley said in squoosh.app to optimize your images - new and easy:

There are already modules on the market that work with both of those, https://www.presteamshop.com/

Kraken is not an open source library, it is a closed source service.

As far as putting them in a module, it would likely be something we would not do, just because there is alternative that is not badly priced on the market.

I bought the Presteamshop module a year ago. Partly due to your recommendation at that time. But I did not know that it works with ImageMagick since both make use of the override image controller?! Except you would help us to merge them? And could you perhaps find the time to write a little 'best uses' of ImageMagick module since every few weeks the same questions come up. Nevertheless, I still do not think I use IM to its best if at all :(

First, I really appreciate that you are more visable active in the forum. That creates confidence and is very helpful! Second, as I said I think I do not IM to its best very likely since I do not know how :) Makes that sense? Ofcourse I know about the Kraken.IO service and the 3 or let's say 4 compression settings the Presteam module offers (I think Kraken's own web service offers more. Long time I checked). About IM did some recherche then and all I got was that it can be very good to resize/crop images, alas minimizw (white) backgorund color. I think I also read that I can use it to switch background color (talking about product images). E.g. from a more or less white background (real photography of a product) to a consitently gray or whatever? I can also make use of a radial? function to whiten the background to the corners? In a nutshell, I am in need of a brief tut on that module :)

Ahh, I would have to look into what the module actually does to be honest. I have never used it as I did not develop it.

My thoughts differ from a lot of merchants thoughts though. With me, I prefer to do everything offline in a dedicated image editor like Pixeluvo ro photoshop. That way you can set up templates to get things exactly right and work with files quicker. That is just my preference though.

Thanks, some time I get typed out. I answer 50-100 different emails a week with partners, people wanting to become partners, different opportunities for thirty bees to expand, ect. Like not two sentence emails, ones that require several paragraphs and lots of thought. It kills my brain sometimes.

And now I know that it is Lesley and not some new free lancer writing as a ghost writer for you ;) I and most certainly all the other shoprunners here know you are talking about. I know many how just quit their job or eccommerce site due to the time consuming answering of customer questions. So, I wish you to find the right balance here. Thank you and a nice start into the weekend.

@lesley said in squoosh.app to optimize your images - new and easy:

My thoughts differ from a lot of merchants thoughts though. With me, I prefer to do everything offline in a dedicated image editor like Pixeluvo ro photoshop. That way you can set up templates to get things exactly right and work with files quicker. That is just my preference though.

That may be practical on a shop that has a few products but on shops like mine with 9000 products that gets added/removed 10-12 products per day an online services like kraken or tinypng is the only way I found to be optimal.

• 3 years later...