thirty bees forum

Express Cache 3 v3.4.0 - by Express Tech

haylau

Question

Anybody using Express Cache 3 v3.4.0 - by Express Tech?

Worked great on PS1.6. On 30bees 1.07 I can install and it thing the caching is working, but there are no settings in the back office to configure on the module page. Browser console shows:

Can anyone spot if this is 30bees or module related? Uncaught SyntaxError: missing ) after argument list at new Function (<anonymous>) at n (riot+compiler.min.js:2) at e (riot+compiler.min.js:2) at re.I (riot+compiler.min.js:2) at j (riot+compiler.min.js:2) at re.M (riot+compiler.min.js:2) at re.<anonymous> (riot+compiler.min.js:2) at re.<anonymous> (riot+compiler.min.js:2) at re.I (riot+compiler.min.js:2) at j (riot+compiler.min.js:2) index.php?controller=AdminModules&token=e5043ce61628124c6b91af98a12a3280&configure=expresscache&tab_module=front_office_features&module_name=expresscache:3797 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'replace' of undefined at genPreCacheURL (index.php?controller=AdminModules&token=e5043ce61628124c6b91af98a12a3280&configure=expresscache&tab_module=front_office_features&module_name=expresscache:3797) at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> (index.php?controller=AdminModules&token=e5043ce61628124c6b91af98a12a3280&configure=expresscache&tab_module=front_office_features&module_name=expresscache:3843) at j (jquery-1.11.0.min.js:2) at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (jquery-1.11.0.min.js:2) at Function.ready (jquery-1.11.0.min.js:2) at HTMLDocument.K (jquery-1.11.0.min.js:2)

19 answers to this question

@dosbiner said in Express Cache 3 v3.4.0 - by Express Tech:

full

Yep I looked at that but was not sure how to use it. Do I need something installed on the server?

It looked like I had to enable serverside caching and then filesystem?

And then enable full page cache? I did that and got a 500 error. Also I read on this form that the full page cache was broken and to leave it for now

Also - how do we control that cache and its size etc. The module in very transparent with the size of the cache, how to flush it etc

@traumflug

This is why I was asking about the module and not the full page cache

https://forum.thirtybees.com/topic/2225/thirty-bees-1-0-7-full-page-cache-errors

This is a recent comment about the full page cache not working

Should I add to that thread or start a new one?

@haylau said in Express Cache 3 v3.4.0 - by Express Tech:

@the-rampage-rado said in Express Cache 3 v3.4.0 - by Express Tech:

Many variants and none of them is as problematic as the inbuild static cache and this module.

And all probably way beyond the knowledge of a simple merchant

If he/she can't handle the administration crap as I do - rent a virtual server running them. I doubt he's using own hardware or VPS and asking such questions...

Guys I am the maker of Express Cache. I am done with maintaining this module and moved from PS to WordPress/Shopify. I have open sourced it at https://github.com/ExpressTech/expresscache. Free free to fork and send PR if you want to. 

PS: Fun fact, thirty bees copied a lot of express cache code line by line. You can checkout their full page caching code and compare it with mine. Its not a coincidence that mine stopped working and theirs too with new release of PS/TB :-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vikasprogrammer said:

Fun fact, thirty bees copied a lot of express cache code line by line. You can checkout their full page caching code and compare it with mine. Its not a coincidence that mine stopped working and theirs too with new release of PS/TB 🙂

I don't understand why your module will stop working on the PS update, and "theirs too". What or who is their this Time , sorry but it's a bit confusing.

@zen He means, that some of his code (from express cache) was integrated into core of thirtybees. Meaning, it will not cause conflicts - i think.

Anyway, @haylau You do not need this module with thirtybees. It does exactly same thing as OnePage Cache system implemented into thirtybees (regardless if copied or not). You just don't need this module for TB. Prestashop does not have this functionality so it needs a module.

9 minutes ago, Kashir2000 said:

Anyway, @haylau You do not need this module with thirtybees. It does exactly same thing as OnePage Cache system implemented into thirtybees (regardless if copied or not). You just don't need this module for TB. Prestashop does not have this functionality so it needs a module.

@Kashir2000

I know. This thread is over a year old and we have moved on. TB OnePage cache does not work. However upon testing we now do no caching at all and find the website faster and more stable (because of the way our advanced search filter module works I think)

1 minute ago, haylau said:

@Kashir2000

I know. This thread is over a year old and we have moved on. TB OnePage cache does not work. However upon testing we now do no caching at all and find the website faster and more stable (because of the way our advanced search filter module works I think)

I'm sorry... I saw topic in "recent" posts. Did not check first post date and it was active!

6 hours ago, haylau said:

TB OnePage cache does not work.

I wouldn't say that it doesn't work. It does work quite nicely. The problem is that many modules are written in a way that just prevent any caching. 

For instance, consider module that implements hook 'displayHome'. Thirtybees assume that, since this is displayable hook, its output can be cached. But this assumption might not be true. The hook can have 'side effects'  if the hook is not called every time page is rendered, the module will not work as expected. For example, this hook it can insert or update data in database, perform webservice call, do captcha validation, etc...

TB, of course, have no way to know which hook implementation are 'pure', meaning its output is based solely on input parameters, or which are impure (with side effects). So it can't automatically decide what output should be cached, and which not.

Unfortunately, merchants have to step in, and do this decision -- they have to mark which hooks are cacheable, and which aren't (using those red and green toggles). The problem is, of course, that merchants don't have this information as well. Then can only experiment, and see what works and what now,... and hope for best. So, it's pretty easy to come to the conclusion that the OPC is broken 

These are the reasons why usage of OPC is not encouraged. It exists only because some very tech-savvy merchants use it to fine tune their store, but for general audience it's not really useful.

Thankfully, tb is pretty fast even with this cache disabled.

I would, actually, vote for removing this from core to separate module.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 7:28 AM, datakick said:

I would, actually, vote for removing this from core to separate module.

I am for that direction too... no need for almost all users of TB.. so it's more a source of problems than anything else, someone who wants to use it should understand really what is going on and how to configure it properly and find it under module section is preferable.

2 hours ago, zen said:

I am for that direction too... no need for almost all users of TB.. so it's more a source of problems than anything else, someone who wants to use it should understand really what is going on and how to configure it properly and find it under module section is preferable.

I'm against on the other side. It's a great feature. It does not shine without heavy traffic. But all modules that add this option mainly break shops. So it's good its implemented as core feature. Such complicated things should not be done via modules. Or core should be designed with that type of module in mind.

15 hours ago, Kashir2000 said:

I'm against on the other side. It's a great feature. It does not shine without heavy traffic. But all modules that add this option mainly break shops. So it's good its implemented as core feature. Such complicated things should not be done via modules. Or core should be designed with that type of module in mind.

Totally agree. It should stay in Core. One of the main features that used to be "advertised" for TB was its great and fast caching and Page cache functionality.
This is not just for "advanced" users, and provides an immediate and measurable site speed boost for most sites (including those that use custom templates), with no issues in most cases.
+ Very simple and easy to configure. I still use it and I'm sure many others still use it too.

Edited by Theo