thirty bees forum

How to create a buy 3 and get the third one free?

alwayspaws

I want to offer certain products (not all of them) so that if they buy three, the third one is free.

How do I do this in an uncomplicated manner? If it's complicated and includes editing templates, I'm not up to it, so I'll drop this idea.

(Hello to all my friends. It's been a couple of years).

Stephanie

Edited by alwayspaws
update

@musicmaster - @wakabayashi is on the right track. :)

@wakabayashi and @FactorThanks for the welcome back! 

@Factor - no sales, but that was a nice observation! Thank you. It would be great if I can just use a cart rule.

@AndyC Let me know if you come up with a solution that doesn't require buying a module. 

I'll clarify exactly what I hope to do in the next post.

I'll start by saying: After thinking this through and working out the below, I see this is yet another losing proposition. There's no extra income to me, so I see no further need to add anything to my website. My original idea was to get people to look around and buy other items.

I own some products and I have others shipped for me. The items I'm trying to get people to buy more of have MAP pricing and a flat shipping rate. When someone buys one, I earn nothing because the shipping rate uses up the savings from the wholesale price.

Shirt: wholesale $6.00. I'm required to charge $12.00. Shipping is $5.00. I pay $11.00 for one shirt. The customer pays $17.00.

If I get them to buy three and the third is free, they pay $24.00 plus $5.00 shipping - $29.00.

I pay $18.00 plus $5.00 shipping = $23.00. I'll make $6.00 less Paypal fees.

The bottom line is another idea bites the dust. I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:29 PM, Factor said:

Can't you use a cart rule?

Exactly! This is a possible solution for the cart rule  Buy 3 Pay 2:

Information
Partial Use YES
Priority 1
Compatibility with other cart rules Choose if necessary

Conditions
Valid optional, choose any date or leave blank
Total available Should be  > 0, depends on the frequency of your shop
Total available for each user Minimum 1

Click on Product Selection
Choose at least 1 of Products, Attributes, Categories, Manufacturers or Suppliers [or combine them by clicking Product selection once again]

Actions
Apply a Discount Choose Percent
Value 100 %
Apply A Discount to Cheapest Product

This cart rule works like a charm since PrestaShop 1.5.

Edited by Occam
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2019 at 9:25 AM, musicmaster said:

Hi Stephanie

One option is not yet mentioned: attribute combinations. One option is one piece. The other is three pieces in whatever combination you like. 

I use something similar in a webshop where you have weight options of 200 gram and 1 kilo.

I read your reply and decided to hold off a bit because I'd probably complicate this. 

On 6/29/2019 at 2:22 PM, Occam said:

Exactly! This is a possible solution for the cart rule  Buy 3 Pay 2:

Information
Partial Use YES
Priority 1
Compatibility with other cart rules Choose if necessary

Conditions
Valid optional, choose any date or leave blank
Total available Should be  > 0, depends on the frequency of your shop
Total available for each user Minimum 1

Click on Product Selection
Choose at least 1 of Products, Attributes, Categories, Manufacturers or Suppliers [or combine them by clicking Product selection once again]

Actions
Apply a Discount Choose Percent
Value 100 %
Apply A Discount to Cheapest Product

This cart rule works like a charm since PrestaShop 1.5.

Hello Occam,

SOLVED! Thank you very much.

First time I ever created a cart rule. I followed your instructions and added / updated a bit, as I was creating the rule to buy two and get the 3rd free, as follows:

Solution for the cart rule:  Buy 3 Pay 2:

Open admin. Go to Price Rules > Cart Rules

Add new Cart Rule (press the plus sign above this statement)

Create a name. Description is optional.

Information
Partial Use YES
Priority 1
Status YES

Conditions
Valid optional, choose any date or leave blank. Required now.
Total available Should be  > 0, depends on the frequency of your shop
Total available for each user Minimum 1

Restrictions: Compatibility with other cart rules Choose if necessary

Click on Product Selection
Choose at least 1 of Products, Attributes, Categories, Manufacturers or Suppliers [or combine them by clicking Product selection once again.

I entered "3" for the "The cart must contain at least __ products matching the following rules.

I selected Add a rule concerning "Categories". Pressed "Add". Pressed "Choose". Chose two categories (dog dresses and dog shirts). Clicked to "add" them. Closed that dialog box.

Actions
Apply a Discount Choose Percent
Value 100 % (filled in 100).
Apply A Discount to Cheapest Product

Saved.

I attached the screenshots for each section and for the successful rule application in the cart.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I selected "Yes" for "highlight".  Where is it highlighted?

2. Total available Should be  > 0, depends on the frequency of your shop
What do you mean "frequency of my shop", please? I put "1" but I want this to be an ongoing rule.

Note: I'm using Transformer theme 3 for PS 1.6 and TB 1.0.8.

Cart Rule for buy 2 and get a 3rd free - rule overview page.jpg

Cart Rule for buy 2 and get a 3rd free - settings page 1 - information.jpg

Cart Rule for buy 2 and get a 3rd free - settings page 2 - Conditions - categories.jpg

Cart Rule for buy 2 and get a 3rd free - settings page 2 - Conditions.jpg

Cart Rule for buy 2 and get a 3rd free - settings page 3 - Actions.jpg

Cart Rule for buy 2 and get a 3rd free - verified working rule via shopping cart.jpg

Edited by alwayspaws
typo
  • Like 1

If you want this to be an ongoing rule set total available to at least 1000 or more.

Honestly, I really don't know where it is highlighted. 😊 I guess this is Franglais and means something different, but I didn't check it in the code yet. 

Edited by Occam
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wakabayashi said:

@alwayspaws this is maybe not so easily achievable. Which module is adding the "Contact" menu point?

The "Contact" link on the very top left is Link Group Name "Contact" and is hooked in "Top Bar Align Left".

Searched my mail and this is from two years ago so can I somehow create a blank image this size and add text? I have no idea how to create any image that is 1920px wide and only 65px high. 

Developer said:

"Your image is 1170px only, so it can't be full with, please prepare an image 1920px in wide to upload.

This way it expands and contracts depending on the device that a person is on."

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 4.49.58 AM.jpg

Well I don't know this module, since it's from a theme. Have you tried to make a second link group? Same settings but, sub-links alignment to center? Maybe you can use on display on (align center). thats probably even better. 

If this is not working you have to edit tpl files.

For the image you need a image editor. I am no more too much into this, but some years ago GIMP was the best free tool. Maybe now days something like https://pixlr.com does the trick too.

1 hour ago, alwayspaws said:

I used the sample banner to have an image where I want it but I want to add my own text.

This text is embedded in the image, here's the sample banner: https://github.com/thirtybees/blockbanner/blob/master/img/sale70.png (also in modules/blockbanner/img/ in your shop installation).

Accordingly, to create a different text, it needs a different image, made by GIMP or PhotoShop.