thirty bees forum

Default country AND postcode

haylau

Question

Our default country is the United Kingdom

Our shipping methods are based on Postcode (zip code) so we have states disabled.

This means when a customer goes to the shopping cart they get the generic "no shipping options available" until they add their address.

Can anyone think of a way of setting a default postcode (hidden) so that some shipping methods are shown. They will be automatically updated when the customer adds their own address

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Signut said:

We have a similar issue.  Have you found a method of displaying some available shipping methods?

The "no shipping options available" can be off-putting to some potential buyers.

Not at the moment. I have changed the message to read "

- Please enter Postcode (or Change Country) then click RELOAD button to see shipping options to your location

4 minutes ago, datakick said:

I don't think there is an option to restrict carriers by postcodes in the core. I guess you are using some module that does this? If so, then you should probably ask the module developer to make an exception for when the address is missing 

Correct. It is actually a micture of a third party OPC and a thrid party module for postcodes. I am actively looking at ditching the post code system and switching to your module! It will mean is some cases the customer will not pay enugh postage, but I will look at the overall picture.

And your OPC is gorgeous!

• Like 1

I think I have sorted it out for us now.

The problem is that our shipping methods are based on post/zip code. The shipping options and costs in the UK vary considerably by postcode

So, we use a brilliant module called "Shipping Costs Based On Zipcodes Pro v3.0.0 - by ProQuality" which basically creates new zones that contains the various postcodes. So, we disable the United Kingdom Zone, and enble postcode1Zone, postcode2zone etc

Problem is that in OPC the default country is United Kingdom for the address which in not in a zone, hence the problem

Simple solution ( i am furious it has taken me so long to realise this). I simply keep the United kingdom zone enabled (with associatd carriers). So as soon the OPC is active, the zone is United KIngdom and the customer sees some options. They add their postcode and the options are revised

Perfect

• Like 1

You could try Geolocation to see if it works for you. As it works on Country and City basis, so I assumo postal codes could work.

But never tried it, as I only need Country for me to display Tax Exc./Incl prices for unlogged customers.

Edited by toplakd