thirty bees forum

Geolocation overhaul - Testers needed

datakick

Hello everyone,

as many of you probably know, geolocation feature in thirtybees needs to be fixed. In 1.1.0, this feature is based on MaxMind database v1, which is no longer maintained, or updated. It also contains a couple of bugs. Basically, this feature was unusable in 1.1.0 

Not anymore, hopefully.

This feature was not only fixed, but also extended. The main difference is that will will not depend on MaxMind database (or service) at all. Instead, core defines new services interface for any module that provide geolocation service. Merchant will be able to choose which service should be used. There will be new thirtybees native module that provides geolocation service based on MaxMind database v2. And hopefully, there will be more in the future. I personally will to extend my commercial CloudFlare GeoIP module to provide geolocation services as well. 

Now, I would like to ask you guys to test this feature before it goes out in the next release. If you are willing to participate, please follow these steps:

1. update your store to issue-828 branch

step1.png.64a12d57d5cab7d8b6ecab74d06710d6.png

2. Install maxmindgeoip2 module

You can download it here:maxmindgeoip2.zip

3. Configure this module 

- You have to download maxmind database, either manually, or by using Download button

step3.png

Result should look like this:

step4.png.1b04f3c29ebf2e724467066cf4732a9f.png

4. go to Preferences > Geolocation and select this new module as a geolocation service

step5.png.a094f0e616d89c5cadb2d74d1f9fba9f.png

5. Test, test, and test

Please test the feature and report any problems or issues you have encountered. Both with new module, and with core changes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, datakick said:

Thanks @zen for your testing, really appreciated.

Anyone else tried this, or has some input? Remember, once it's integrated and released, it's too late to complain... 🙂

Installing it today and will run a series of tests as I have a need for geolocation with several modules and it has been a bit wonky in a while.  Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, datakick said:

Yes, this is now in bleeding edge, and the maxmindgeoip2 module has been released as well. You can install it even in 1.1.0 and prior, but it will have no effect

Perfect thanks. Wanted to get this before the holiday purchasing season really kicks in.

• 2 months later...

How to add database manualy

1.Go to maxmind.com and create free account.

2.Login to Account summary

3.Click on Download Databases

4.Download GeoLite2-City

5.Unpack and rename to: db.mmdb

6.Upload to /tools/geoip

And you have succesfully updated the database manualy.

Edited by toplakd

• 3 months later...

As of April 30th, 2020 the issue-828 aforementioned does not exist, which one should we choose to get Geolocation working?

I was using the default config and geolocation was not working anymore with the max mind database, so I have been told to switch to Bleeding-edge, and geolocation is still not working. I do not get the error message about the database but geolocation does not work at all. I need to restrict access to US and Canada only and when connecting from other countries using a VPN for testing, I can access the catalog from anywhere.

47 minutes ago, ThierryC01 said:

As of April 30th, 2020 the issue-828 aforementioned does not exist, which one should we choose to get Geolocation working?

I was using the default config and geolocation was not working anymore with the max mind database, so I have been told to switch to Bleeding-edge, and geolocation is still not working. I do not get the error message about the database but geolocation does not work at all. I need to restrict access to US and Canada only and when connecting from other countries using a VPN for testing, I can access the catalog from anywhere.

Are you using cloudflare, by any chance?

Have you set which geolocation service should be used under Preferences/ Geolocation/ Geolocation Service?

As it works like a charm. And yes, Thirty bees Bleeding Edge is needed for module to work, together with database which can be downloaded manualy from maxmind (steps for download are few posts above)

If you access the shop from restricted country, than restricted-country.tpl gets loaded (which you can configure to show your own restricted info).

Cant add pics due to forum denying all images 😞

Edited by toplakd

Well, I am using TB 1.1.0-1.1.x bleeding edge, Geolocation service has only one setting in dropbox, so it is set to MaxMind Geolocation, I reloaded once again the Geolite2 city database and it still does not block restricted countries!! I will try to delete everything and start over to be sure but I am using cpanel to install TB so, I have little control.

I had a similar issue for the same reasons as you: are you using the old database or the new one you need to register for?  Things work well with the new one, you need to download it, change its name and put it in the geolocation folder yourself - the automated download is no longer allowed anyhow.  With the new DB, it works for me.  Did not with the old ones.

Oh! And some modules do screw up with it - I had to uninstall at least one.

Edited by movieseals

Here we go!!

I reinstalled from scratch using cpanel, then updated to 1.1.0-1.1.x Bleeding edge. Re-downloaded the MaxMind database and uploaded it in due folder. Restricted my shop to US and Canada, other countries should not either see my catalog or order anything and here are the results using an iMac with Mac OS 10.15.4 and NordVPN to simulate connections from other countries:

- Safari 13.1 never gets blocked whatsoever and whichever country I am connected to.

- Microsoft Edge Dev Version 84.0.495.2 for Mac OS and Firefox 75.0 get blocked with an horrible :

503 Overloaded

logo

You cannot access this store from your country. We apologize for the inconvenience.

So, since I am using mainly a Mac, I would never have seen it working.

Question 1 is, why can Safari bypass the geolocation module?

Question 2, is there a way to customize this horrible message? It should in no way display Overloaded!! Would be great to be able to customize this within the module configuration.

13 hours ago, toplakd said:

If you access the shop from restricted country, than restricted-country.tpl gets loaded (which you can configure to show your own restricted info).

Reading helps.

Edited by toplakd
  • Haha 1