thirty bees forum

Affiliate code seems to be not working?

Mark

Question

In Stats/referrer/edit if I try to add an affiliate it says as per the attached image.

Its a terminal error, can't continue without it being fixed, but in all likelihood an easy fix due to a column/table name

IMG_20200720_204713.jpg

Edited by Mark

21 answers to this question

Yes of course...I always run the schema update..
Ive just done it again and same problem

As I said it's terminal... cant create an affiliate, no workaround.

Have you tried creating an affiliate in your system and found it works? Or fails?

@datakick Although there's no longer a fatal error when trying to register a new referral....

1/ Its not capturing click data even though I think Ive ticked all the options correctly in the Data Mining module. (For Request URI /include Ive added "mark" but clicking a product page/ ?%mark or ?mark does not count clicks

2/ When I try to login into the affiliate tracking at modules/trackingfront/stats.php , Authentication fails.

1386658006_Screenshotfrom2021-09-2914-54-30.thumb.png.a11e11f31920a1b782057b886d9a4c2a.png

On 7/1/2021 at 2:53 PM, Mark said:

@datakick when will modules/trackingfront/stats.php be fixed and this affiliate tracking finally fixed?

Been waiting about 1.25 years for this to be fixed @datakick. Has it been fixed in the 1.3 upgrade at all? Looks like the Stats module is the problem?

Referral agents also appear to not be working.... if I create jjj as a Request_URI key ... then access url?jjj then nothing gets recorded

Edited by Mark

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Been waiting about 1.25 years for this to be fixed @datakick. Has it been fixed in the 1.3 upgrade at all? Looks like the Stats module is the problem?

Referral agents also appear to not be working.... if I create jjj as a Request_URI key ... then access url?jjj then nothing gets recorded

It works properly, or at least it works as it was designed. 

There are couple of gotchas.

• make sure you 'Save direct traffic' enabled, otherwise your testing will not work. When you test by entering url into browser, it's considered direct traffic -- there's no referral http header.
  • When you define request uri include key, you need to surround it with '%', as it is basically a sql subexpression. For example, if you want to attribute links with &referrer=123, you should use '%referrer=123%'. You can't simply write 'referrer=123', because it would not match -- the resulting sql looks something like this 'AND url LIKE "referrer=123"'
  • Every time you change the referrer, you should rebuild the index. 
  • And you need to refresh the cache regularly, or the list will not display up to date informations.

I must say, this is one of the most f*cked up feature in the core. It's way too complicated, depends on caches and other transient data, it's hard to set up and debug,... and nobody is using it. This it the prime candidate for removal, or at least to transfer to 

1 hour ago, datakick said:

It works properly, or at least it works as it was designed. 

There are couple of gotchas.

• make sure you 'Save direct traffic' enabled, otherwise your testing will not work. When you test by entering url into browser, it's considered direct traffic -- there's no referral http header.
  • When you define request uri include key, you need to surround it with '%', as it is basically a sql subexpression. For example, if you want to attribute links with &referrer=123, you should use '%referrer=123%'. You can't simply write 'referrer=123', because it would not match -- the resulting sql looks something like this 'AND url LIKE "referrer=123"'
  • Every time you change the referrer, you should rebuild the index. 
  • And you need to refresh the cache regularly, or the list will not display up to date informations.

I must say, this is one of the most f*cked up feature in the core. It's way too complicated, depends on caches and other transient data, it's hard to set up and debug,... and nobody is using it. This it the prime candidate for removal, or at least to transfer to 

I definitely enjoyed that response cheers @datakick 🙂. The bit I was initially referring to is a login portal  where Affiliates go to see their clicks and referrals and so on, it doesnt work at all. As far as recording the data, Ive tried what you suggest but I couldn't get it going particularly easily.

I agree this should not be Core, it should be a module that people can pay for and it should be much better, more bullet proof and reliable than this. I see you use Affiliate tracking @wakabayashi how do you do it?, Which module?

Edited by Mark

@Mark The answer is almost the same in my case. It's: genzo_affiliate. Which means it's my own development.

While most of my mobiles are out of question, to be maked public. I could consider to release this one day. It's very small without a lot of features. But on the other it's very clean IMO. BTW it's really only affiliate and not referal.

Btw: How do you know I am using affiliate? Did you check my sites source code?

22 minutes ago, wakabayashi said:

@Mark The answer is almost the same in my case. It's: genzo_affiliate. Which means it's my own development.

While most of my mobiles are out of question, to be maked public. I could consider to release this one day. It's very small without a lot of features. But on the other it's very clean IMO. BTW it's really only affiliate and not referal.

Btw: How do you know I am using affiliate? Did you check my sites source code?

No lol I don't even know what your site is. You mentioned about affiliates being one of being the only modules you really use outside core a few days ago.  So I thought I'd see what module you used. Looks like Datakick is going to seriously consider dropping this from Core (understandably) and Im after an Affiliate module

Edited by Mark

haha ok. Probably i wrote it then unclear. I guess I wanted to say, that "revws" module is one of the few outside of the core. Almost all other modules I use these days are my own developements. 

We had en external module for affiliates before. It was one of the worst modules I ever bought. 

What features do you need from the affiliate module from?

Something that tracks a referrer code on any page like this soon-to-be-doomed core feature claims to and where someone can login and see what the clicks and resulting sales and user actions were (of those clicks) without logging into admin. 

Tracking clicks to sales might not be straightforward and neither might a login page.

This core feature does have that stuff but it's pretty complex like Datakick says... And pretty sketchy at best.