thirty bees forum

Difference between uninstalling and disabling modules?

30knees

Question

11 answers to this question

Doesn’t uninstalling also remove the installed module files?

I hope this happens one day. Having a separate 'delete' just adds confusion.

PS 1.7 removed the 'delete' menu item and added a modal dialog asking whether the module should also be deleted. That's certainly even worse than what PS 1.6/30bz does.

Yeah, having uninstall not actually uninstall is pretty odd. "Uninstall" should undo whatever "install" did. If "install" copies files and creates the db structure then "uninstall" should delete those same files and remove all created db structure.

"Delete" as an option should remove all traces of the module, including the originally uploaded zip file.

@Havouza said in Difference between uninstalling and disabling modules?:

But that is in many cases not the case either. I have tested very expensive modules, some with subscription fees that after I have uninstalled and then deleted still leave all db tables intact

I don't think PS does any testing or quality control on the modules sold in their store. I can imagine it would be a bit time consuming to do this but if they're taking a big chunk of the sales (30%?) a little basic testing doesn't seem like too much to expect.

But that is in many cases not the case either. I have tested very expensive modules, some with subscription fees that after I have uninstalled and then deleted still leave all db tables intact

Yeah. As I said, the coder has to add the remove lines. Some just don't add. I don't know if they forget, just don't care or do it by intention....

Can removing the db leftovers from deleted modules be added to the thirtybees cleaner when clicking on clean database?

@wakabayashi said in Difference between uninstalling and disabling modules?:

Yeah. As I said, the coder has to add the remove lines. Some just don't add. I don't know if they forget, just don't care or do it by intention....

@vzex said in Difference between uninstalling and disabling modules?:

Can removing the db leftovers from deleted modules be added to the thirtybees cleaner when clicking on clean database?

Doing this is possible but it would be all-or-nothing. There is no (realistic...) way for 30bz to know which modules have created which database tables. If you have some modules installed and configured that you want to keep using the cleaner would remove all of those tables, too.

Ah, ok gotcha @dynambee If you are comfortable deleting in the database I guess it's not a problem, not true for all of us!

Maybe it's best to ask the coder if they wrote a tidy module that removes ALL if it's uninstalled.

How about it being a requirement for new TB modules?

Or something written to catch it if it's not a complete removal before install?

Or something we can add to the module ourselves to remove everything it installed?

Is there a cheat sheet addon for such a thing? Not sure how that all works tough! Might be asking way too much :)