thirty bees forum

Merchant's Edition release 1.9.0

Traumflug

Hello everybody

Tired of waiting? You're certainly not alone. We read about hold backs after hold backs for months now, without any substance backing anything up. Even this latest post yesterday asks for yet another two months of waiting. No new code, but new paid plans, apparently giving up free forum support. One could even read it as if they're playing with the idea of going closed source.

Seeing this, I could no longer hold back myself and did what thirty bees should have done a year ago already: I made a release from what's there. That's more than 400 bug fixing commits since the last release, certainly not too shabby.

So say hello to Merchant's Edition 1.9.0

Technically it's a thirty bees release with a renamed installer package. It'll install as thirty bees 1.1.1.

Merchants with an existing shop simply upgrade to the latest Bleeding Edge 1.1.x, that's the same. And remember: 1.1.x as of half a year ago isn't the same as 1.1.x of today.

What's the plan? Well, there is no shortage of ideas, including:

• Rebranding, own translations & update server (obviously).
  • A Core Updater supporting both Merchant's Edition and thirty bees, allowing to switch easily between them.
  • Committing the dozens of bug fixes I already have on my plate.
  • Support for PHP 8.0.
  • Speed improvements.
  • Simplifying back office without giving up the feature richness. There are so many 'features' which barely make sense, just confusing merchants and slowing down operations. Tidying it up will improve the back office experience tremendously.
  • A patch system for third party modules. We all know there are many modules out there which leave room for improvement. Their authors are too lazy to update them, Merchant's Edition is not.
  • A usable version of the freaking freaky full page cache. Ever tried to configure it for best performance? It's currently a mess, and can be done much, much better.
  • Regular releases, like once a month. Of course!

About Merchant's Edition: there's a working business model in place already. No need to beg for money. Merchant's Edition may come up with things like Crowdfunding for larger improvements. From my own experience, merchants will happily pay if they get a substantial reward for their money, like fixed bugs and working code. Let me take this opportunity to thank those who did so far, it has been much appreciated!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Merchants with an existing shop simply upgrade to the latest Bleeding Edge 1.1.x, that's the same.
so once again for stupids: if I make in thirtybees with coreupdater an update to the latest version (1.1.x) then it is updating to merchants edition?

Edited by Sigi
need to quote

52 minutes ago, Sigi said:

Merchants with an existing shop simply upgrade to the latest Bleeding Edge 1.1.x, that's the same.
so once again for stupids: if I make in thirtybees with coreupdater an update to the latest version (1.1.x) then it is updating to merchants edition?

Well, merchantsedition is a fork of thirtybees. It has additional 23 commits that mostly changed formatting of files.

So the statement is (mostly) correct -- if you update your thirtybees using core updater to bleeding edge, you will end up with latest version of thirtybees. Which is the same codebase as merchantsedition is using right now (minus formatting) 

7 hours ago, Tomik said:

Great job @Traumflug 🙂
i do get a error during installation about the translation

And are there any improvements if we upgrade to PHP8 ? 

EVkFexD.png

As the error reads, it's non-fatal. As it's indeed just a build of thirty bees, just like @datakick said, it also attempts to grab translations from thirty bees servers. As there is no 1.1.1 release at these servers, translations fall back to 1.1.0. Which gives about all translations needed for either version.

Next steps include to get the Merchant's Edition server for translations up and running, so this irritating error goes away with v1.9.1.

PHP8 not before v1.9.2, as there's a serious roadblock to be dealt with: https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues/1265 AFAIK, this roadblock applies to all PrestaShop versions as well as all of its forks.

5 hours ago, datakick said:

It has additional 23 commits

Actually, just the first two commits of this list. The other 21 commits came in after the build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Briljander said:

Hmm, why another fork? 

Wouldn't it be better to gather all forces and try make TB better instead of two different versions?

I hope that all forces will be joined together, it's always better to remain a solid group than being seperated and alone in the jungle of the web 🙂

• Like 3