thirty bees forum

Emails in bleeding edge

datakick

Heads up for those of you who are running on bleeding edge.

We just committed a big change -- removed swiftmailer library from the core. This php library for sending was quite outdated and is no longer supported. In new versions of php it raises a lot of warnings. It just had to go. 

Instead of deciding on another library to put as a dependency, we simply removed email sending functionality from core completely 🙂 

To send emails, you will have to install some module that implements MailTransport interface.

For backwards compatibility, we have released a brand new module tbswiftmailer that does exactly this, using that outdated library we have just ripped from the core. 

So, if you update to bleeding edge, and install the tbswiftmailer module, you should be in the same situation you are now.

In the future, we will release a new mail transport library, that will implement sending emails using different third party library, probably symfony/mailer

image.png.f50966065c74b373e086cb8385ae8914.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this after installing the Bleeding Edge update.  Scratched my head on what broke the email until I figured it out.  Suggestion and comment:

Suggestion: If SMTP parameters were previously saved using Swiftmailer in Core Code, migrate them over to the tbswiftmail module settings.  I had to search my files to figure out what I had set the SMTP outgoing account as.

Comment: The Test Email that used to appear at the bottom of the Email setup page does not appear any longer when the tbswiftmail module is installed with Bleeding Edge.  This should be restored.

16 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

Suggestion: If SMTP parameters were previously saved using Swiftmailer in Core Code, migrate them over to the tbswiftmail module settings.  I had to search my files to figure out what I had set the SMTP outgoing account as.

That is the case. Module use the same configuration keys as core used before, so the configuration is reused as it is.

16 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

Comment: The Test Email that used to appear at the bottom of the Email setup page does not appear any longer when the tbswiftmail module is installed with Bleeding Edge.  This should be restored.

Yes, we will reintroduce this. I'm not sure where to implement this, though. It can be either in the core (then new email template would be required), or in individual transport libraries. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, wakabayashi said:

Hm, you haven't copied it manually from github before, right? 

Not sure, why it's not working for me as expected. Maybe related to the "tb_min_version" thing...

I didn't d/l via github, just used the TB Modules and Services..

This is what my test bleeding edge site looks like...

BO top left...

446888127_Screenshot2023-04-07113742.png.f33c24b824c0a6cd21be341077877e9a.png

settings.inc.php

Screenshot 2023-04-07 114050.png

Edited by SLiCK_303
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:04 PM, wakabayashi said:

Hm interesting I have 1.4.0 there, but upgraded my store yesterday to bleeding edge.

A new mail transport using PHPMailer library compatible with PHP 8.2 is now available.

2023-04-13_03-40.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, led24ee said:

I had to made changes in settings.inc to get these new modules. Without these there was no possibility to send emails. Previous version was 1.4 bleeding edge

I suspect that settings.inc file does not have write rights by user -rw-r--r--. Therefore, during the upgrade, version in settings.inc is not updated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 3:43 AM, e-com said:

A new mail transport using PHPMailer library compatible with PHP 8.2 is now available.

2023-04-13_03-40.png

where can I find this? I looked already at the marketplace and in modules in the backoffice and couldn´t find it anywhere.

15 hours ago, Sonni said:

where can I find this? I looked already at the marketplace and in modules in the backoffice and couldn´t find it anywhere.

If you do not see this module in list of all modules, then you have some errors in server configuration and list of modules is not updated.

• 6 months later...
16 hours ago, PeterPan said:

is it possible to resend all mail, wich weren´t send because of miss configuration?

On what server you are? Shared I don't thinks so, VPS and Higher could be and would depend on the configuration of your server.