thirty bees forum

Nginx friendly URLs

TobyMudito

Question

According to the software specifications, you can use Nginx as server.

But, if you want to activate the URL friendly option in the SEO & URLs tab, you see the following message: 1. Create a blank .htaccess file 2. Give it write permissions.

I have tried to activate it, but it shows the written message.

I don't want to use Apache as a server, since I consider Nginx a better server. So, What is the action to perform to fix this problem?

Thank you!!

22 answers to this question

Thank you. I just have created the empty .htaccess file that the page tells me, and everything worked fine. It would be great if a better description will appear just to clarify that is necessary to create the file even if you are using nginx.

By the way. The nginx configuration is the same as Prestashop uses, so, for those who want to use Nginx, you just have to use the same configuration.

Thank you and regards!! :dancers:

Ahh okay - hopefully one day TB is possible to figure out if it should serve webp or jpg, depending on the users browser/platform.

i would ad following to the nginx config, from my experience a few modules needs this rewrite.

rewrite "^/module/([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)/([a-zA-Z0-9-]*)$" /index.php?fc=module&module=$1&controller=$2 last;

just found a small article in my bookmarks i played with.

https://github.com/uhop/grunt-tight-sprite/wiki/Recipe:-serve-WebP-with-nginx-conditionally

had the other pice of code in a dir with different nginx config options.

Dont think there is 100% perfect solution since you have to check if there http_accept allows webp to be served.

If we did fit in the Recipe for WebP Nginx in to the base config file for TB documentation.

And added the htaccess counter part to the .htaccess file.

Then it should be possible to add webp image generation for TB, hopefully with a ajax driven image regeneration so we avoid the time outs that can give.

It's in the nature of HTTP that one can't push anything. One can only declare files as short lived, in the hope that the browser requests them again. Alternatively one can change the file name, so the next page request makes the browser requesting that other file. Third strategy is to deliver some JavaScript which repeatedly requests the same file.

Which raises the question: why do you feel a need for "pushing" CSS? Each of the strategies mentioned makes caching pretty pointless.