thirty bees forum

Localization Pack German (de)

gwasch

Question

To all those in the German market, thirtybees could use your help to make sure thirtybees is compliant with all of Germany's unique ecommerce laws and your needs! Just saw they posted this, try to help them out if you can, it is for you... :) https://forum.thirtybees.com/topic/17/german-support-for-thirty-bees

Great job gwasch! I plan to start German shop in near future but I don't know a word in German. I plan to hire people for the job but your translations are excellent start point! I saw you are from Austria and you are familiar with German online market. Which means you should be familiar with the laws also. Please support the community by participating in that topic Lesley just posted: https://forum.thirtybees.com/topic/17/german-support-for-thirty-bees Thanks once again for your translations!

@MockoB said in Localization Pack German (de):

eat job gwasch! I plan to start German shop in near future but I don’t know a word in German. I plan to hire people for the job but your translations are excellent start point! I saw you are from Austria and you are familiar with German online market. Wh

If you want to hire people for your german market ready shop - Just feel free to hire us :-D

Good job, but you should know that parts of my translations you use here are outdated. And btw menu tabs (Tabs.php) are missing. AEUC translations are fragmentary. Would be helpful to grant upload permission at Github.

backend Menu tabs are in database and can not be translated through PrestaShop Backoffice. Used many translations from original PrestaShop 1.6 Version (where possible), but also improved a lot of translations.

AEUC was and is fragmentary. Moreover there are some differences between German law and Austrian Law and permanent legal changes - so you can't use any module out of the box...

@gwasch said in Localization Pack German (de):

backend Menu tabs are in database and can not be translated through PrestaShop Backoffice. Used many translations from original PrestaShop 1.6 Version (where possible), but also improved a lot of translations.

I wasn't talking about the Back Office translation functions. Due to a bug in 1.6.1x newer releases tabs cannot be imported/exported though the file is still part of the translations offered at the PS download page.

AEUC was and is fragmentary. Moreover there are some differences between German law and Austrian Law and permanent legal changes - so you can't use any module out of the box... 1) I'm sorry, but AEUC is fully translated. You should trust me because I'm the proof reader for the German translations. :) 2) And as far as I know AEUC is ready for Austria, too. There are no permanent legal changes. AEUC complies to the Richtlinie 2011/83/EU, which means to the German Verbraucherrechterichtlinie (VRRL) as well as to the Austrian Verbraucherrechte-Richtlinie-Umsetzungsgesetz (VRUG). Or can you provide different informations about these permanent legal changes you assume?

Sorry. Didn't mean AEUC is bad translated or something like this. I work daily with it. But i never had an austrian shop where i had nothing to do to be legal save.

Differences are how the single countrys interpret the eu regulations.

You have the difference between EU Law and EU regulation (Richtlinie). I hope the following is understandable to read... Law = EU says something. Every Member country has to do it like this. Regulation: Every EU Member has to implement this in it's law. But how they interpret it is different.

For example: In Germany there is a "Widerrufsrecht" (revocation / Cancellation). In Austria it is called "Rücktrittsrecht". If an austrian shop owner writes "Rücktrittsrecht" in his legal terms: The german customer is not informed about his "Widerrufsrecht". (Maybe it was too easy to call it "Widerrufsrecht" in Austria or one of our politicians said "No, we can't have the same word for the same thing as the germans" -- Sarcasm END)

To be absolutely legal save In Austria you also have to set 2 agree buttons in checkout: One for the Terms and one for the Cancellation (relatively new). In German Shops: one can write "I agree to the terms and cancellation".

In Germany you have to provide one free payment method. The Austrian Law says: Every payment method has to be free And yes i had a customer who ignored this and got mail by a lawyer - he paid a few hundred Euro because the lawyer was "nice" and only let him pay his (unwanted) consultings - because he made him aware, that he is not allowed to have the payment method "cash on delivery with fees". (After that we made a special carrier for cash with fees. Now the consumer pays for the shipping not for the payment method - and that's allowed)

That's because the austrian and the german interpreted regulations different.

Rarely anybody knows this small differences and much less integrate this correct in their shops. The most Lawyers still don't know the differences. I'm also knowing some of these things only because i made a Seminar about Legal Compliance last week. Also Trusted Shops says nothing if you don't have 2 Buttons in your shop ;-) So my Source: WKO (Wirtschaftskammer Österreich) Lawyer - specialized in E-Commerce between Austria and Germany.

You often have to look at very small differences which sometimes make a big change. Most of them are hardly (or not) logical to understand.

And in some cases there are differences between Spelling in Germany and Austria: Rücktrittsrecht vs. Widerrufsrecht Kasse vs. Kassa Tomaten vs. Paradeiser Konfitüre vs. Marmelade Quark vs. Topfen

So at the end i close my speech and say thanks to our politics. They make such discussions possible. :sweat_smile:

I downloaded it, i rename the file to de.gzip The upload works now but i geht this error: errors Validation failed for: modules/authorizeaim/translations/de.php Validation failed for: modules/paypal/translations/de.php Validation failed for: modules/stripe/translations/de.php

Thanks, just signed up.

A question to all: Do we want to translate using "Sie" (formal) or "Du" (informal)? Perhaps it would be best to have one pack with "Sie" and one with "Du". I think the current pack mainly uses "Sie". Could we rename it "German (Sie)" and once it's complete we duplicate it and use that as a basis for "German (Du)"?

This is a problem when many translates. I see the same in the Swedish translation where cart is translated in 3 different ways. But having lived in Germany for seven ears I know how sensitive the use of Sie or Du can be. So both should be there and perhaps be used depending on the customer group. If you sell toys or sportswear fex I think Du is OK but if the customer group is retirees then Sie is more appropriate

Isn't it always best to use formal speech with your customers and employees? I am just finishing translating whole back office and error messages in Bulgarian and I think that 80% of the translations are google translated... For me it is best to translate it through back office so you could see the live change of translations. There are many words in Bulgarian which could be translated or interpreted in wrong way if translated directly. I hope it is easier in German because it is close to English. According my English teacher English is 40% German and 60% French or vice versa ...

I think it's a question of style. IKEA only used informal speech in Germany, and people love it. Banks, on the other hand, are typically very formal. That's why I think having two localization packs is a good idea. Let the merchant decide whether they'd like to use formal or informal speech.

It would be a pain to maintain two full translations.

An interesting approach would be to allow a translation to extend another one.

That way you could have one base german translation using the "Du" form, and an extension translation using the "Sie" form just overriding the little subset in need of change.

I don´t know how technically difficult this is for Crowdin and thirty bees, I´m just throwing it out here as an idea...