thirty bees forum

Is thirty bees dead?

MockoB

@nickon said in Is thirty bees dead?:

elastics module

I do not agree with you. We divide the stores into tiny, medium and large ones. I know Prestashop from version 1.2, I'm still in version 1.6.x My store is growing strongly, currently this year I can have up to 30-40k of products. Elastic search is one of the main arguments of migration, why? Speed, expandability with real product recommendations! This means growth in sales for me. Of course, I am a developer and I can handle technology. Not everyone will benefit from elastic search, but as a medium store I am more willing to support the project financially than those who only want for free. Crowdfunding for such modules is the best option.

I am more worried about the pace of development, for me the migration of my eco system is 1-2 months of work. So a lot of time investment. I have not done migration tests yet, but I am looking at the project for quite a long time. From my perspective, the online store is just the front of the entire system. Ordering, customer service happens elsewhere.

Why do I think about thirtybees? - cache of entire pages (currently the store supports two servers behind the load balancer haproxy) for redis. - elastic search - tests - source code

@lutek said in Is thirty bees dead?:

elastics module

I do not agree with you. We divide the stores into tiny, medium and large ones. Elastic search is one of the main arguments of migration, why? Speed, expandability with real product recommendations! This means growth in sales for me.

yes exactly, elastic search is one of my strong reason to migrate to thirtybees.

Tried to connect manticore search (manticoresearch.com), it is Ok, but there's a lot of hand works of fine tuning and configs editig. Now i tend to try elasticsearch.

One important reason for elastic is faceted search/navigation, it should be much faster than native.

elastics module

I do not agree with you. We divide the stores into tiny, medium and large ones. I know Prestashop from version 1.2, I'm still in version 1.6.x My store is growing strongly, currently this year I can have up to 30-40k of products. Elastic search is one of the main arguments of migration, why? Speed, expandability with real product recommendations! This means growth in sales for me. Of course, I am a developer and I can handle technology. Not everyone will benefit from elastic search, but as a medium store I am more willing to support the project financially than those who only want for free. Crowdfunding for such modules is the best option.

I am more worried about the pace of development, for me the migration of my eco system is 1-2 months of work. So a lot of time investment. I have not done migration tests yet, but I am looking at the project for quite a long time. From my perspective, the online store is just the front of the entire system. Ordering, customer service happens elsewhere.

Why do I think about thirtybees? - cache of entire pages (currently the store supports two servers behind the load balancer haproxy) for redis. - elastic search - tests - source code

I also believe TB is a great alternative to PS 1.6 (and a step forward), but Just out of curiosity, aren't there available (paid) PS 1.6 modules for elastic and full page caching?

@doclucas

yes they are, but my having experience with many paid and free modules. I've seen a lot of bad code, I prefer a natively developed module. For me, it's a core module, better when is created and supervised by developers writing the main platform.

@doclucas said in Is thirty bees dead?:

full page caching

a great module for one server. https://codecanyon.net/item/express-cache-speed-up-your-prestshop, but now i need cache in redis (for better load balancer handle) after site updates.

Do you know how to verify redis is running well on our site? I've redis cache on my server and have enable on performance setting, but never sure what is the difference before and after

@dosbiner

i'm pointing this module as for prestashop (i'm still on prestashop). I can not speak about thirtybees, I have not implemented it yet.

test redis and his latency from web serwer: redis-cli --latency -h host -p port

if you're talking about cache to redis, forget it. thirtybees has a built-in caching option for the whole page, this is a good solution (my alternative in prestashop is the module given above)

Based on my tests, this full page caching built into thirtybees is not so solid, quite buggy (will post a github issue when I gather all the details), so I wouldn't rely on using that feature if I were you. EDIT: But, as pointed out by others here. TB is already quite speedy even without it.

@dynambee said in Is thirty bees dead?:

There are PS1.6 modules available for elasticsearch. One is free and one is very expensive. Neither is as good as what @mdekker created for thirty bees.

I could find 3, all paid (yeah, not cheap), but at least one of them seems pretty impressive to me, with cron options and additional features: https://addons.prestashop.com/en/search?search_query=elasticsearch

Why do you think none of them is as good?

@doclucas said in Is thirty bees dead?:

I could find 3, all paid (yeah, not cheap), but at least one of them seems pretty impressive to me, with cron options and additional features: https://addons.prestashop.com/en/search?search_query=elasticsearch

Why do you think none of them is as good?

There was a lot of discussion about this while the ES module was being developed but I don't have the time to dig through a year of forum posts to find the relevant ones. :(

From memory there were a few issues:

One was that the available modules do not offer faceted search which is the ability to filter search results by selecting options listed down the side of the page. Maybe you only want blue items, or maybe in a certain price range. You may have used this on sites like Amazon before. The free PS module, BRAD does have faceted search but BRAD isn't really supported and there are quite a few bugs. It's fast but not perfect.

Another issue was the way the queries were sent to the ES server and then how the results were managed. From memory there is an easy way to do this that is slower and a somewhat more complicated way to do this that is much faster. The thirty bees module uses the faster way.

There was more that was discussed as well, if you dig through the various Elasticsearch threads on this forum you will find the original discussions. Unfortunately @mdekker is on a leave of absence right now or he would be able to come in and explain things in detail. (You're missed @mdekker, I hope all is well and that you return soon!)

I must admit that overall I like the TB version. There are still a few issues with it that need correction, one I just fixed here: https://forum.thirtybees.com/post/20282 And the other one is the missing cron options, which are quite important in this kind of module. Hopefully @mdekker or someone else will add this feature soon.