thirty bees forum

Say hello to release 1.0.5!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We changed an encoding system out in the back office with how data was submitted, that was the only bug looking at it now.

But since we are testing / fixing the automatic build tools, that is where a lot of the current work is coming in. They are essential for the new updater where we do not have to manually package releases.

@doclucas re your comment about the release, a couple of bugs is not enough to pull a release. The only option we have is to present a more stable build and push it. I don't think you understand how software works in this regard.

As for the nightlies, they are there. Clone the repo, use composer for the dependencies. The repo should always be in a working state where nightlies are not needed and people can edge update if they want.

As far as betas, they are really useless. No one tests them. So beta builds are really a waste of time if only 2 users install them.

@doclucas

Such a project must be [...] managed by a serious CEO.

Let me express I'm thrilled how well it works without such a CEO.

A CEO means a hierarchy, hierarchies mean people working on stuff they're not convinced of, people not enthusiastic about their work mean a lot less productivity. Doesn't happen at thirty bees.

@traumflug (Before I start, I have a lot of respect to all the people involved in this project, I am here voicing my own opinion and only trying to help.) Plenty of examples in history that completely contradict these claims. Of course people who are not convinced of something and/or not enthusiastic about their work should simply not be there, IMHO. Plenty of talented programmers, QC and other personnel are available on the market to take their place. A proper hierarchy and smart & experienced people in charge to direct the project can take it to amazing heights. I don't want to hurt anybody's feeling, but a project that is on the market for over 1.5 years with such a small adoption rate and backers isn't really a great progress. I have some great ideas (IMHO) and I would be happy to invest nice money in the project, if the founders are interested in a brighter future.

@lesley We both know that the release doesn't have only a couple of bugs, but I generally agree that a few bugs are not enough to pull a release, yet it depends on which bugs. If we are talking about so obvious bugs like the AJAX "add to cart" not working at all, that's a major and obvious bug that doesn't reflect well at all on the development team, the software and the project as a whole. 2 users installing betas brings me back to the small adoption rate discussed above. If the software gained a lot more popularity (as it deserves and able to, I believe) - then betas could have been tested by far more people...chicken and egg, again. :)

We currently have tracked around 15,000 sites using thirty bees. We are just 18 months old, this is a great number for considering what kind of software we make and what installation numbers our competitors have. Sure, it can be better, but for a 3 man team, we are growing pretty well as compared to the other 100 person plus companies we compete against.

@doclucas "Leaders hold a position of power or influence. Those who lead inspire us" Although not stated specifically I interpreted the statement of @Traumflug that the developers inspire each other and they have certainly inspired me to make the switch from PS to TB as well as contribute to both crowdfunding campaigns. A serious CEO doesn't mean his is inspiring.

I can't imagine open source project with CEO, I think that both are completely incompatible conceptions. The thing I believe the project needs mostly is a schedule. Simple list, with what will be released in next versions and the developers concentrate doing that. And of course @mdekker :)

@MockoB There are practically zillion open source projects with CEOs/CTOs etc. (some are/were doing amazing job and some not so, but I digress). Here is one project you probably know: https://www.prestashop.com/en/press-releases/2018/03/08/prestashop-appoints-alexandre-eruimy-as-its-new-ceo-and-launches-prestatrust-a-traceability-system-based-on-blockchain-innovation

@doclucas i know of course. But the main reason for prestashop's issues recently is the inefficient administration (I think I read it somewhere). Look at their forum, full of spam, never can't find any help, I can't even open it on my iPad (safari) it crashes all the time... I still remember the time when I started with 1.5 it was nothing like that. I don't believe one person should lead such project, I think the community should be the voice to be heard. I hope that some day there will be few more developers to work on the project and they get filthy rich by doing that.

@MockoB Prestashop was just an example of a project that I know you are familiar with, which I listed because you wrote "I can’t imagine open source project with CEO, I think that both are completely incompatible conceptions." Not to vouch for their CEO's performance (which may or may not be good, I don't form opinions based on your forum or Safari experiences :rollingonthefloorlaughing: ) . Seems like most people don't know much about large & successful open-source projects and how they are being managed, so I will skip further public discussion about these matters as they seem to lead nowhere productive. If anyone really wants to learn more , I suggest you google projects like: OpenCog, Kubernetes, Magento, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Wordpress and many many more.