thirty bees forum

What cache is the best and save to use ?

cdwebman

I am migrating a Prestashop to TB 1.08 , but i miss the module Page Cache (we used it at PS 1.6 ) , which isn't compatible with TB.

I want to use the option : "Server Side Caching" in TB but wonder which is the best one to choose to speed up the webshop.

There are the following options :

Memcache via PHP::Memcache (you must install the Memcache PECL extension)

Memcached via PHP::Memcached (you must install the Memcached PECL extension)

APC (you must install the APC PECL extension)

redis (you must install the redis extension)

I understand the server need to support that caching option, but i want to ask the server administrator
to install the needed extension.

I want to speed up the webshop for all visitors, so for guest, logged in users etc, but also for SEO,
but it must be save so that logged in customers not will see someones others shopping cart or anything like this !

@cdwebman Are you planning to use thirtybees Full Page Cache? If not, then it really isn't important what Server Side Cache implementation you choose. It's because FPC is the only functionality in the core that is actually utilising SSC. Of course, there may be some third party modules that uses SSC as well, but I would bet you don't have such module installed.

AS i read on the forum from TB, it's not "save" to use the build in "Full Page Cache " ?

But i do want the speed back what we have before with the external module Page Cache which isn't compatible with TB...

As i now understand, whatever i use ( Memcache, APC or Redis ) doesn't do anything without using the FPC from TB ! ??

So i don't win any speed with SSC ?

> Of course, there may be some third party modules that uses SSC as well, but I would bet you don't have such module installed

Do you mean third party modules for TB, or whatever extension module for the server ?

If for TB : can youn tell me what is available ?

If for the server : we are planning to get the new shop running at a new VPS, so the administrator can install anything needed.

1 hour ago, cdwebman said:

AS i read on the forum from TB, it's not "save" to use the build in "Full Page Cache " ?

Right. FPC is fixed in upcoming version, but if you are on 1.0.8 it's not recommended to use.

As i now understand, whatever i use ( Memcache, APC or Redis ) doesn't do anything without using the FPC from TB ! ??

So i don't win any speed with SSC ?

Correct. SSC is used only by FPC

> Of course, there may be some third party modules that uses SSC as well, but I would bet you don't have such module installed

Do you mean third party modules for TB, or whatever extension module for the server ?

If for TB : can youn tell me what is available ?

What I meant is that the SSC api is public so any thirtybees/prestashop module can use it to cache its data. I don't know about any module that do this, though. Modules usually uses smarty cache, but that's different technology.

"Right. FPC is fixed in upcoming version, but if you are on 1.0.8 it's not recommended to use. "

I read on the TB forum that this FPC has very low priority, so will it be available in the 1.09 version,
or do we have to expect a longer waiting time ?

But the conclusion at this moment is, that i can't do anything to speed up the webshop more ?

While i have to admit that changing the PHP version to 7.1 did gain some loadtime ! :)

When the FPC is save to use, what option will be the best :

APC ( or will APCu also be an option for TB ? ) - Memcache or Redis

I like to know this now before ordering the VPS server :)

15 hours ago, cdwebman said:

I am migrating a Prestashop to TB 1.08 , but i miss the module Page Cache (we used it at PS 1.6 ) , which isn't compatible with TB.

In all shops using Page Cache I migrated to far, performance was considerably better than before, without this module and without turning on full page cache.

This is my current release test installation in Chromium, with just Smarty cache and CCC turned on on an old Core2Duo server for a full reload of a product page:

1211700644_Bildschirmfotovom2019-05-1014-15-18-or8.png.40ca000ce6cd8b03e6226010375c7b47.png

With a load time of just 0.35 seconds for the base document (that's where full page cache kicks in) it's hard to imagine this can get substantially better. Remaining load time is loading pictures, CSS, JS and processing that in the browser.

The load time is in my test version about the same, but the First Byte time is slower than on  the
Prestashop 1.06 with that Page Cache module.
That's why i wish a good Caching module, not only to improve the First Byte time, but also
to make the TB shop more quick than ever before ! ;-)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'd like to pick up on this and ask what the recommended cache setting for the latest bleeding version are.

SMARTY - APPLICATION CACHE

Template compilation
Never recompile template files
Recompile templates if the files have been updated
Force compilation
Cache
YESNO
Caching type
File System
MySQL
Clear cache
Never clear cache files
Clear cache everytime something has been modified

CCC (COMBINE, COMPRESS AND CACHE)
Smart cache for CSS
YESNO
Smart cache for JavaScript
YESNO
Compress inline JavaScript in HTML
YESNO
Move JavaScript to the end
YESNO
Apache optimization
YESNO
Keep JS and CSS files
YESNO

Keep old JS and CSS files on the server, to make sure e.g. Google's cache still renders correctly (improves SEO).

SERVER SIDE CACHING
Use cache
YESNO
 Add server
Save
FULL PAGE CACHE
Before enabling the full page cache, make sure you have chosen a caching system in the panel above.
Use full page cache
YESNO
Debug mode
YESNO
Ignore query parameters
gclidxutm_contentxutm_keywordxutm_mediumxutm_sourcexutm_termx