thirty bees forum

Upgrade fail. Generating thumbnails time out

Havouza

Finally time to upgrade. In our case from 1.0.7 to 1.1. also from a customized theme to the community theme. This meant that all thumbnails , 1570 of them has to be regenerated. I have changed to max time in php but it does not help. It regenerates about 30% then stoppes. What to do?

1 hour ago, Kashir2000 said:

Are you sure your hosting provider does not block you from increasing php script timeout?

Maybe also.. Who is your provider for ex siteground has a limit and has caused me no end of hassle. Am looking for a new provider

It happened me also. But since this was test site then it ended for me with totally new install. I still have no idea what was the reason. Problem was with products pictures. All other were generated with no problems. I played with picture settings also, but this doesn't change much.

You can use Prestools to regenerate the images. It allows you to state which images to regenerate - which image numbers and which formats.

It amazes me that I cannot find an option in TB to generate only missing images - as Prestashop always had and still has. Am I missing something?

@musicmaster Acually TB is more sophisticated in this term. Image regeneration in TB is indexed 🙂 So TB does not need to have it. After product images are reset, then product is marked as "1" in database. And next "not regenerated" product is processed.

Prestashop has to check all images with file exists each time "Do not delete images" is used. Thirtybees does not need that and can resume where it left in an instant! Also, you can track how many images are regenerated already 🙂

11 hours ago, Kashir2000 said:

@musicmaster Acually TB is more sophisticated in this term. Image regeneration in TB is indexed 🙂 So TB does not need to have it. After product images are reset, then product is marked as "1" in database. And next "not regenerated" product is processed.

So if I understand you well Havouza should just have to run Image regeneration a few times more and all his images will be ready.

11 hours ago, Kashir2000 said:

Prestashop has to check all images with file exists each time "Do not delete images" is used. Thirtybees does not need that and can resume where it left in an instant! Also, you can track how many images are regenerated already 🙂

In that case the page could use some improvement in self documentation.

14 hours ago, musicmaster said:

It amazes me that I cannot find an option in TB to generate only missing images - as Prestashop always had and still has. Am I missing something?

Maybe you miss that missing images get generated on the fly. Just request them, e.g. by visiting the product page, and they're there.

• Like 1

@musicmaster You even have progress bar, that shows you how many were regenerated. Did you look into admin panel?

@Havouza How does it look for you? It's just a hunch, but I had simmiliar problem on my server.... acually CPU usage shot from 4% to 160% in usage summary, cause one image could not regenerate.
If i recall properly, the problem is that there was not enough time on server, it was able to regenerate 710 images... 711 was so big, that it couldn't generate miniatures from it and script was hammering server for same image whole day. No idea if I got throttled or something.

@Traumflug Images are regenerated in batch of 1 product, right? So if i have like 100 thumbs it has to do 100 in one run, right?

image.thumb.png.6a510828e6a51ed907917579e2dacc06.png

23 hours ago, Kashir2000 said:

Images are regenerated in batch of 1 product, right?

IIRC it's like 5 images per request.

23 hours ago, Kashir2000 said:

script was hammering server for same image whole day

This should be enough proof for the conclusion that there's something wrong with this image. I'd open it in GIMP, export it into a new file and try again.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Traumflug said:

This should be enough proof for the conclusion that there's something wrong with this image. I'd open it in GIMP, export it into a new file and try again.

The only type of image that could cause such an effect would be a very large image. But I believe that software should be capable of handling such cases.

If I remember well Prestashop used to downsize images to a certain size during upload. Michael took that out as it had a negative effect on image quality. Maybe there should be some other mechanism to handle this?

10 hours ago, musicmaster said:

The only type of image that could cause such an effect would be a very large image. But I believe that software should be capable of handling such cases.

Can't agree. http://www.dotsamazing.com/en/labs/phpmemorylimit

8000x8000 would require 334MB. So lots more than Default 256MB on most hostings. Some still use 128MB. Software cannot simply overcome this. Prestashop would fall here too.

Well its1570 images. First time 532 was made, second try 571. There is no limits set, its a dedicated server with a very big provider in Germany. 

The reason for the regeneration is that when the update was made to 1.1, which went without any problem, we also wanted to change to the community theme instead of using the old very altered one. The theme itself looks ok installed but about half of the pictures is missing. And they are NOT generated on the fly. So now I reinstalled the snapshot and just updated the shop without changing theme. We have to live with it it seems. A pity really

Btw I dont get any notifications about answers. Thats why I have not answered before

Edited by Havouza
Missed

No apache. But I have now installed pretools and php-imagemagic. I thought i i already had the imagemagick but I realised that the module dos not work in 1.1.

Anyway I wi!l change theme and then regenerate with prestools and see if we have more luck

7 hours ago, Havouza said:

No apache. But I have now installed pretools and php-imagemagic. I thought i i already had the imagemagick but I realised that the module dos not work in 1.1.

Did you install all three: the ImageMagick program, the Imagic PHP plugin and the TB module? Most hosting providers have it pre-installed, but when you need to do it yourself it can be a bit complicated.

On 1/22/2020 at 12:47 PM, Havouza said:

And they are NOT generated on the fly.

I don't know which TB version you have. This is a rather recent addition.

35 minutes ago, musicmaster said:

Did you install all three: the ImageMagick program, the Imagic PHP plugin and the TB module? Most hosting providers have it pre-installed, but when you need to do it yourself it can be a bit complicated.

I don't know which TB version you have. This is a rather recent addition.

Its update to 1.1. The TB module b Mikael Dekker does not work in 1.1 according to release note. I have php-imagick installed. I thought the module was an adapted version of the software. Anyway prestools use php-imagick så it should be ok

I can install what I need myself no problem

Well I have now regenerated all pictures using Prestools.  dont think it would have been possible with TB

1583 products, 3273 images.
I have a dedicated server with 10 cores and 64 Gb memory running only this shop, nothing else. Still I needed to regenerate the pictures in portions, all was not possible

On 1/19/2020 at 6:30 PM, AndyC said:

Maybe also.. Who is your provider for ex siteground has a limit and has caused me no end of hassle. Am looking for a new provider

@AndyCOn a Sitegroud Shared host you cant increase the vars by you self, siteground has to change that. We are on the grow big plan and they set mine up to 9000 and we have no problem with generating 2000 pictures.
Look at your php.ini file

max_input_vars = 9000
zend_extension=/usr/local/php56/lib/php/extensions/ioncube.so
zend_extension=/usr/local/php56/lib/php/extensions/ZendOptimizer.so

25 minutes ago, Kleijn36 said:

@AndyCOn a Sitegroud Shared host you cant increase the vars by you self, siteground has to change that. We are on the grow big plan and they set mine up to 9000 and we have no problem with generating 2000 pictures.
Look at your php.ini file

max_input_vars = 9000
zend_extension=/usr/local/php56/lib/php/extensions/ioncube.so
zend_extension=/usr/local/php56/lib/php/extensions/ZendOptimizer.so

Well if you read the post you will find out that I use a dedicated server with no limitations 10 cores 64 Gb memory. Only run this shop. And max input I have set to 10000 but I dont think it has anything to do with images. It has to do with text

1 minute ago, DRMasterChief said:

Why such a 'material battle' for only one shop?  Greta can't safe the world with this 🧐 

Is it of your concern what server I use? And what has Greta Thunberg to do with it? She has more important things to do, and do them well, then solving my server issues