thirty bees forum

Where are the modules???

prophoto

Question

I have attempted to install several modules using the "Add a new module button". I choose the zip file and click "upload this module" and nothing happens. The modules do not appear as being installed. Am I missing something??? Thanks. Bob

6 answers to this question

Which modules? Where did you get them from? Did you read the instructions?

Some modules come zipped but you need to unzip and upload only certain folders via ftp

Some are zipped which you unzip and inside there is another zip file to upload

Some are zipped and you unzip and rename the folder then zip and upload

Once you have successfully uploaded (shop says downloaded) your module, you still have to install it.

734559690_Screenshot_2020-03-18ModulesandService.png.2a4799cc317e328ffc12ad4582516805.png

As upload means what it says - Upload.

You can't see not installed modules if you are using filter "installed modules"

867654944_Screenshot_2020-03-18ModulesandServices.png.801acb1f2f533c8067f76de704376ae3.png

Edited by toplakd

I've had cases where a module gets uploaded - but afterwards is not visible in the "not installed" filter.
Checking the modules folder then reveals that the Zip file got copied there, but the extraction did not happen for some reason.
Once the Zip file is extracted and the module's folder is created, the module will appear in the "not installed" filter (after page refresh) as expected.

Also some module Zips like creating duplicate folders like modules/newmodule/newmodule/(contents).
If this happens, copy the module's contents into the modules's first folder, like: modules/newmodule/(contents).

Maybe not relevant here, just my own experience when I expected a module to appear after upload, but nothing shows to install. 

1 hour ago, Theo said:

I've had cases where a module gets uploaded - but afterwards is not visible in the "not installed" filter.
Checking the modules folder then reveals that the Zip file got copied there, but the extraction did not happen for some reason.
Once the Zip file is extracted and the module's folder is created, the module will appear in the "not installed" filter (after page refresh) as expected.

Also some module Zips like creating duplicate folders like modules/newmodule/newmodule/(contents).
If this happens, copy the module's contents into the modules's first folder, like: modules/newmodule/(contents).

Maybe not relevant here, just my own experience when I expected a module to appear after upload, but nothing shows to install. 

These kind of issues can be reproduces when you try to install zip file that is NOT a valid module.

Sometimes, developers give you zip file that contains another zip file (actual module) + documentation, license keys, etc..... If you try to install this zip file, the content is unzipped into /modules directory, and result is that you have inner zip file inside your module directory instead of module directory. 

Another common problem is when you download zip from github repository. Github will give you zip that contains one directory named modname_master, instead of modname. Because there is no modname_master/modname_master.php file (there is only modname_master/modname.php file), thirtybees does not recognise this as a valid module, and completely ignores this directory.

All these problems can be, and should be, detected during module installation process, and explained to merchants in some user friendly way. This is work in progress 🙂. The module installation process is being redesigned and unified (there will no longer be dependency on tbupdater module). During installation a lot of additional checks will be performed, and module installation will fail if any of these fail. And most importantly, if installation fails, there will be no residuals in /modules directory 

• Like 2

I have also experienced (since PS and now in TB) that to update modules usually i have to upload them like 4-8 times because it doesn't get it (it says upload correctly but it does not update). This only happens using the backoffice interface. If I use the ftp, they get updated intermediately. Is not big deal but...

Does someone else experience this?

Edited by rubben1985