thirty bees forum

Forcing customer to choose an attribute

wakabayashi

@wakabayashi this is a feature that should be part of the core and not a module. Having the ability to force the customer to make a choice is good as too many customers go with the default, not realising they've got to actually select the one they want and then complain 'that's not what I ordered'. It should be a toggle on the product page admin with 'Use Default Combination YES/NO'. It doesn't need to be anything complicated. If you select NO then put up that message that you've shown.

Making this a module just adds an unnecessary layer of complication and something else to update when the core updates.

@DavidP I agree. But it's hard to just change it the core. It was designed with the idea of a standard combination. I guess changing this bevahiour, would break some things. But I am looking forward to @yaniv14 concept. Maybe he has a better idea than manipulating the html code.

• 3 months later...

@wakabayashi said in Forcing customer to choose an attribute:

It's an old pain, which was reported for years. Many merchants wish, to force the customer, to choose an attribute. I wondered what would be the best solution?

How should it look like?

I made a first attempt: https://clean.genzo.ch/de/gifts/soap

How do you like it?

I think that can be a quick solution about that problem, but a module that forces and guide customers is better.

@wakabayashi i don't know why you mentioned that topic, and it is still a hack. I already contacted developer to make me custom solution about this, that's if I ever run tb shop. And it will be paid service if that's your or any other's concern.

@MockoB Why would you belittle someone that tried to help you for like 2 hours or something? Why would you act so un-appreciative, I dont understand. Plus you dont even use tb, so whats the point? @wakabayashi is a good member here, please don't drive him out.....

Wow. @SLiCK_303 i don't want to belittle no one's efforts here. Every one here is important because we are small community, and I NEVER said anything to hurt his feelings. And why you think I drive him out, I always treated him with respect and whenever he deserves I pointed that. The only thing I said (and it is not against him personally) that this trick about the attributes is a hack. Isn't it? Try to add item to the cart from the products listing ... what if I ever need that warning message he changed ... it's not elegant solution and I just shared my opinion about it. I don't want to engage anyone with it, it just doesn't do the job for me. I always had and still have great respect for @wakabayashi and his work and I never wanted to offend him. If I said something wrong I'M SORRY! And with saying good luck, I really meant that! Don't blame me for that either please.

@mockob said in Forcing customer to choose an attribute:

NEVER said anything to hurt his feelings.

Here you did:

it is still a hack. I already contacted developer to make me custom solution about this, that’s if I ever run tb shop. And it will be paid service if that’s your or any other’s concern.

Calling a gift to be bad and turning it down in favor of something costly is about the shabbiest one can do with such a gift.

Still no big problem. Next week you'll hire that developer, spend $1500 for a "proper" solution and donate the result to thirty bees, right? After turning down wakabayashi in public you have to stand to your word.

@Traumflug that gift is on the ps forums long time ago, even me, without any programming knowledge came up with the same solution. And if that's what bothers you and you think that I could help with it, I will share it. But other thing I find more important here and it is concerning you! You know my opinion about you, but let me say it again. I think you are here not to help the community but just to ruin it. Many valuable members left it because of you! It's not said and thought just by me. Personally I believe that the value you bring to the project is much less than the one those ppl could did ... and you are continuing and you just don't quick. Every your sentence here is to insult some one. You suffer from serious lack of communication skills and should work about it. And if I care about @wakabayashi or any one else here, your opinion doesn't mean nothing to me, so better stop bothering me with your non needed conclusions. Just hide again where you were last months and find something else to do than nag with ppl. And that I would tell if I wanted to insult someone!

I believe this is a good solution.

My idea of implementation would be: - Make this a extra property of an attribute: obligatory choice or not. This means part of the core. - An alternative would be to make it a product attribute but that would automatically involve all attributes. Here you run in the same limitation that causes trouble when a product has too much attribute options: the Prestashop code knows no product-attribute combination as a useful concept. - The best implementation would require that the template is adapted for it so that it can handle that extra flag and insert a class and a "please choose" text (with the option for translations). You could make it template independent but that would involve some extra overhead. - Defaults might still be used when you put the product in the cart on a category page where there are no select fields.

I don't believe that this is complicated to do. The main action happens in javascript on the product.tpl template. In the core you only need to add the option to set an extra flag and to transfer that option to the template.

Of course, as this a core modification, the ultimate decision is with Lesley and Michael.

I wonder how Yaniv14's code would work. Do you have to select a product and an attribute? And how do you insert the changes into the template?

I'm not telling that it is the correct way doing it but the developer I spoke with, told that it should be template implementation and that could not be a module. If I ever get to that, I will share the solution with the community (if the developer agrees of course) because the template I plan, will be just remake of the native one, and I hope the implementation will work on it also.

It's really interesting how this thread goes on... Btw my example up there, was a template solution. Once you have posted yours solution, I will compare it ;)

@MockoB you really should get more realistic about @Traumflug importance for tb. He was committing a lot of code to github. Who do you think will solve bugs like the one from zimmer-media? I guess this plattform has three active and really skilled coders (mdekker, datakick and traumflug). If we lose them, the project is dead as you would say. We both don't want that, right?

That doesn't make him better person @wakabayashi and still I think that all those ppl, he made leave the project and the community could bring much more value than him. And since it is "was" committing and not "is" committing, that makes him the person who only works against the interests of tb.

I realy don't get why there is so much hustility. If you don't agree with someone just ignore him and do what you want to do. There is no good or bad person in here. If someone goes way out of line it is the moderator's job to take action. So please everybody keep calm and do what you need to do.