thirty bees forum

Community-Theme-Modded

toplakd

18 hours ago, Briljander said:

I think @zen initiative earlier was nice when he did some module where it was possible to change in a theme editor. 

Don't you think you two can put your thoughts together and make something really great here?

That could be nice, but I started this module for niara theme specially, it needs to be done differently if it's for the community theme manager. I'd love to have more people on the module thread for sure so we can "all together" but from far away.. do something usefull for both theme maybe.

last answer on the theme module was in : November 7, 2019

Edited by zen

👍 on the icons.  I took the exact same approach on a WordPress plugin I wrote.  It displays a simplified icon menu with the full menu available on the far right icon for mobile devices and the normal text menu for desktops.  User feedback was positive.

I am interested in your results for both the restyled cart and icons as I have three shops based on the Community Theme that I've modded and see that the changes you have so far would be beneficial.

Nice work! 

14 hours ago, zen said:

That could be nice, but I started this module for niara theme specially, it needs to be done differently if it's for the community theme manager. I'd love to have more people on the module thread for sure so we can "all together" but from far away.. do something usefull for both theme maybe.

last answer on the theme module was in : November 7, 2019

I will gladly help if you want to. I am not a coder but I do think that initiative was good. 

toplakd - the screen shots look great!   Some questions:

• Which template and css files are you changing? 
  • Any module files too?
  • When do you think you'll have files available for people to try it?

I've created override files that add custom variables to products.  One override adds a variable $hide_qty that allows hiding the quantity and forcing it to 1 for products such as annual membership.  This prevents people from changing the quantity for products marked as "Hide Quantity" but does allow the product to be deleted from the cart.  The product in the back office has a check box to enable or disable the cart quantity.  Modified files include:

• override\classes\Product.php
  • override\controllers\front\ProductController.php
  • override\controllers\admin\AdminProductsController.php 
  • override\controllers\template\products\informations.tpl (changes back office product page to provide a checkbox that enables or disables quantity in the front)

Theme files changed:

• product.tpl
  • shopping-cart.tpl
  • shopping-cart-product-line.tpl

If you are interested to include this feature with your mod, I'd be happy to post the annotated files.  In addition to that mod, I made changes to eliminate the "Save" button for text fields and uploaded images.  This only works for non-ajax carts and is based on previous documented mods for PS 1.6.

Edited by Rhapsody

55 minutes ago, VinceMax said:

@Rhapsody

I'm interested to have a look at the modified files you mentioned. Sounds like a great feature.

Could you please post a link to the files for trying out.

Thanks A lot.

Vince

Vince,

The attached zip file has all the hide quantity mods in a directory structure that includes overrides and modified Community Theme template files.  Looking at the files, I did not mod the shopping cart templates listed above as I thought.

You'll need to use phpMyAdmin to add the field hide_qty to the product table.  Make it field type TINYINT with a field length 1

Make sure you clear the cache and delete the cache file class_index.php

all_files_hide_qty_mod.zip

Edited by Rhapsody
Added clear cache comment

@toplakd

Thanks for your effort on the community theme!
Do you need the 'In Stock' labels on the cart summary?

A couple of thoughts if you are able to consider:

• Add to cart button on the product list page should show always, and not just show on hover. It is a major pain to add a product to cart on mobiles on community theme (Niara does this better).
  • The popup screen after each product added to cart is unnecessary. A simple message that disappears in a few seconds confirming the product was added to cart will be much more elegant. Some sites have a small animation that shows the product moving to the cart.
    If a customer is adding 10 products to cart now, he has to dismiss the screen 10 times - it is almost like encouraging the customer to stop shopping and go checkout.

I shall put these point somewhere on a dedicated thread but I wanted to raise them to you too. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chandra said:

@toplakd

Thanks for your effort on the community theme!
Do you need the 'In Stock' labels on the cart summary?

A couple of thoughts if you are able to consider:

• Add to cart button on the product list page should show always, and not just show on hover. It is a major pain to add a product to cart on mobiles on community theme (Niara does this better).
  • The popup screen after each product added to cart is unnecessary. A simple message that disappears in a few seconds confirming the product was added to cart will be much more elegant. Some sites have a small animation that shows the product moving to the cart.
    If a customer is adding 10 products to cart now, he has to dismiss the screen 10 times - it is almost like encouraging the customer to stop shopping and go checkout.

I shall put these point somewhere on a dedicated thread but I wanted to raise them to you too. Thanks.

@Chandra

All good comments.  I made a slightly different approach before adding to cart and agree your approach for adding to cart would be beneficial.

• For Desktop Display each item in the product list page displays the label "Choose Options" or "Buy Now", depending if there are options to select.  Mouse over the product highlights the area with a link to open the product.  Add to cart is never shown on the product list page.  This was done via mods to product-list-items.tpl and translations. See screenshot #1 below showing the 1st item with mouse over.  Screenshot #2 is a phone display.
  • Once the product is opened, for any item that displayed "Choose Options" add to cart is not displayed until the customer makes selections using the dropdowns.  The product is setup with quantities and 0 stock values assigned to options that are not available to purchase.  Once values are selected that are available, the "Add to cart" button is displayed. See screenshot #3 displayed when product is 1st opened, and #4 when required selections made.

#1.png

#2.png

#3.png

#4.png

Just now, toplakd said:

There will be no overrides with the theme, so no such function that requires overrides will be added/included.

No problem! Just offering it up as an option people may use.  I like what you are doing and look forward to when files are available.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

@Chandra

All good comments.  I made a slightly different approach before adding to cart and agree your approach for adding to cart would be beneficial.

• For Desktop Display each item in the product list page displays the label "Choose Options" or "Buy Now", depending if there are options to select.  Mouse over the product highlights the area with a link to open the product.  Add to cart is never shown on the product list page.  This was done via mods to product-list-items.tpl and translations. See screenshot #1 below showing the 1st item with mouse over.  Screenshot #2 is a phone display.
  • Once the product is opened, for any item that displayed "Choose Options" add to cart is not displayed until the customer makes selections using the dropdowns.  The product is setup with quantities and 0 stock values assigned to options that are not available to purchase.  Once values are selected that are available, the "Add to cart" button is displayed. See screenshot #3 displayed when product is 1st opened, and #4 when required selections made.

Good stuff.

I have posted screenshots of product listing pages that consist the options/attributes and quantities on a different thread as below. I believe that is the best possible and fastest experience where one can simply enter required products to the cart without traversing any pages.

And if that is coupled with no popup after each product addition to cart, nothing like it!

Edited by Chandra

On 4/8/2020 at 12:08 PM, toplakd said:

Not yet. But soon 🙂

Have to finish some small things first.

Installing available modules one by one, to see what they show and what needs to be adjusted.

Hi @toplakd

I really appreciate your effort in updating this theme - especially the Mobile Responsive element.
The original theme is seriously lacking in this area, which is not what I expected. As during Live testing with a newly completed site, I discovered mobile layout issues especially on checkout and cart summary pages...
I know, I know... I just assumed it would be Responsive - my bad (I normally use Panda), but hey, money doesn't go on trees unfortunately...
So I thought I'd go for a 'quick win' and use Niara Community as it looked nice enough... 

The lack of 'working Responsive' on the checkout and cart summary pages is a serious drawback with TB.
This will affect all new users coming to the platform and surprise them in a not so nice way...

I now have to decide whether to rewrite certain sections manually (for responsive) or try to find a good free 1.6 responsive theme that works on latest TB + PHP...

So my question is:
How far are you with the theme? And is there a download link available?
Or are the checkout and cart summary sections ready in terms of Responsive - and can you provide these files separately so long?

Edited by Theo

Few more details from today. Grid, List and shopping cart view.

Product hover removed when mobile device is used.

414px wide pics (iphone size). It goes down to 360px width (most devices).

Screenshot_2020-04-14 Coffee and Tea - My Store.pngScreenshot_2020-04-14 Coffee and Tea - My Store(1).pngScreenshot_2020-04-14 Order - My Store.png

Edited by toplakd
  • Like 1