thirty bees forum

Customer password when Admin Created

Mark

If I create a customer account in the backend, I have to do so with a password. There's no system generation of passwords, so I make it something simple, like "password", very silly, but Im not creating an individual one every time. But no matter what it is, I know their password and I should not.

Then the customer gets notified of the new account, but doesn't know the password. I tell them the password outside the system, not cool. They will invariably think this a bit dodgy.

This is a bit marginal in terms of professionalism and data security.

The process should probably be that if an account is admin created, that the customer receives an email including an encrypted system generated password that they are encouraged to change and that only they know what it is from the email.

I realise sending the password via email isnt perfect for security either but it has to be given to them somehow, this is the best way I see

Normally when a customer orders by phone we use a firstname.lastname@our-domain.com. So just a fake email. If the customer really wants his email, to be stored, we use a manual password. Same as you, but we tell the customer that he should use the "Forget password" to set a new one...

• Like 1

We tend to create the order on the front, not back office. Our welcome email says "if this account has been created for you please use the forgot password link to re-set the password"

For payment we have an "office use only" payment. We take the card details over the phone and use Paypal virtual terminal for this situation. 

5 hours ago, datakick said:

How does PayPay virtual terminal works together with 3D secure cards? Or with upcoming SCA?

Hmm, good question I will ask them. Is SCA not just for online sales though? Perhaps if someone is talking to us directly on the phone / in person then it is not the same system

9 hours ago, datakick said:

I'm curious, when you create order from back office, how do you handle payments? 

I too use the front end and just sign up for them.When it comes to payments I just do it though the checkout like a customer

1 minute ago, AndyC said:

I too use the front end and just sign up for them.When it comes to payments I just do it though the checkout like a customer

You type in their card details onto your checkout? What if 3D kicks in and asks or their password details (Visa / mastercard) We were warned not to do that. Apart from anything you need to be fully PCI compliant. Even so, you will not be able to do that after Semptember as that extra check will be much more widespread

If it does happen , I will stop. I wouldn't go that far as asking for passwords .. I only do it for people that really really need to ..Even then I have warned them against it and said I am not PCI compliant etc and they were happy for me to carry on.. I think in the 8 years I've been selling I've only done it about 4 or 5 times 

@datakick
If the order is with a customer with an unknown email I will create the order etc by fake email as @wakabayashi suggests but any payment gets handled outside the system then the order updated manually.

Also slightly related to this topic, but possibly deserving of its own topic is customer addresses.

Having a default customer address would work well, save time establishing admin created customer accounts.

It might sound odd having no address data for customers.... I deal with the details they give me outside the system, usually private messaged on social media.Until fairly recently I've just been using the site as just an inventory keeping thing plus a public display of stock.

People actually can't be bothered signing up and just want what they want. As good as the site is, people just want to flick money into a bank account or pay cash because this way it takes just a 20 seconds to pay direct credit

People are lazy, but forcing them to do things they think are unnecessary can lose sales.

Edited by Mark

Yep I agree Andy. Date of birth is a shocker because giving the right info can lead to privacy issues and I'd rather never know that info then noone can get suspicious. Unless we are selling age restricted items... But let's face it people would just make up dob if they weren't the right age anyway, who are we kidding?

Mr and Mrs is not all the options

Telephone is still good though as an option should we need to discuss the order.

We are only selling stuff here, and we want to sell as much as possible with minimal hassle for them. Need to remove all unnecessary things that prevent sign up or order.

Having a Google api to auto add addresses would be a nice to have but probably a bit of an unnecessary luxury against all the other higher priority things.

Edited by Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t you just send them an invoice or a paypal link asking for payment. It’s at the bottom on my order screen. We only take prepayment so nothing ships if they don’t pay  

Talking on the phone is so 1990.  Don’t you just text your customers...

I am kidding btw. Humor to get the weekend going...

On 7/30/2019 at 9:25 PM, Mark said:

There's no system generation of passwords

This is the main issue.  If you create an account manually the system should generate a working password and send it to the customer OR generate a link to send to them to create their password.  All other billing systems do this.  It should not be left to the Shop person to create one.  Reset should be treated the same way if the customer call for a password reset they should be directed to the link online.

Edited by Factor

Yeah.

Anytime admin manually creates a password for someone, then admin has to tell them what it is, it screams arrrggghh at the customer.

All my sales seem to be to admin created accounts and there's lots wrong with the process when it's done that way.

Those things include:

Address: everything time I have to create the same dummy address

Two unecessary and very slow js screens of address management

Having to create false emails is understandable but not really right.

Edited by Mark

I am in a hurry but I think the following information might be relevant. It is about the way how passwords are sent via email. Might be that Thirtybees handles this now different than Presta did once but I do not know. I use this Module form Saxtec :

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiDsiwDQzLM

https://addons.prestashop.com/de/sicherheit-brechtigungen/31295-rechtssicheres-kundenkennwort.html

Edited by Pedalman