thirty bees forum

The product selection cannot be delivered by the available carrier(s): it is too heavy. Please amend your cart to lower its weight.

Mark

Question

No matter what I do, items that weigh over 1kg are not eligible for free shipping as set by carrier settings.

I have checked: Zones, Countries, Carriers settings, Customer groups, Shipping Preferences, Product settings. They all correctly permit Free shipping by a certain carrier.

But in the checkout, the customer gets

"The product selection cannot be delivered by the available carrier(s): it is too heavy. Please amend your cart to lower its weight."

If I change the product weight to under 1 kg, its fine

There's multiple ways to set the shipping in the Shipping Locations and Costs in the Carrier Settings, but no matter which one I do and it appears to be set correctly, the result is still the same....

Capture.PNG

Edited by Mark

OK I tried that, disabling free shipping and handling costs, then setting them, then going back to Free Shipping.

This time the order came up as $7, when the delivery option stated it should have been free.

Capture3.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Edited by Mark

How many carriers do you have set up? Have you manually assigned certain carriers to certain items? Do you have more than one item in the shopping cart when you go to check out?

If you are basing your shipping on item cost, why not set the item weights to zero? 

Overall TB is a great platform but the shipping system inherited from PS is probably the weakest point. It's not very good at managing things for complex shipping situations.

59 minutes ago, dynambee said:

How many carriers do you have set up?

Seven

Have you manually assigned certain carriers to certain items?

Most share similar carriers, but not all, they all have some common carriers

Do you have more than one item in the shopping cart when you go to check out?

Ive tried different combinations of one, two, some.

If you are basing your shipping on item cost, why not set the item weights to zero? 

Im basing shipping on "weight". Not really weight, but how many items I know will fit into certain sized delivery bags.

Overall TB is a great platform but the shipping system inherited from PS is probably the weakest point. It's not very good at managing things for complex shipping situations.

It is complex, but its generally a pretty good attempt at a complex range of scenarios. However one weak point is the Free Shipping. When we say Free Shipping it should mean no nonsense, that for those groups, zones etc, that item is Free if Free Shipping is selected for that carrier. There's a bug preventing this absolute situation from my happening I believe.

@dynambee

The real problems happen, in my experience, when you have more than one item in the cart that don't have shared shipping options. When this happens the shipping total can often seem nonsensical, the presented shipping carriers can be strange, or the system can give errors about no carrier being available.

We got around this problem with automation, a LOT of carriers, and some custom modules. We have five actual shipping carriers that we use. What we create are five shipping carriers per country that we ship to, complete with all the appropriate weight ranges. Then we use a custom module to limit carrier availability based on custom cart rules. We do not assign carriers to items as it makes things a huge mess. We manage free shipping by having near-zero weight items cost $0 to ship and then assigning a weight of 1g to those items.

It's a hacked together system to get around the shipping system limitations, but it works.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zen said:

What did you setup in the STEP 3 of carrier configuration ?

put 0 for each field.. if it's not the case already

Ive tried all sorts of combinations, putting 0 for each one doesnt work either @zen

11 hours ago, dynambee said:

We manage free shipping by having near-zero weight items cost $0 to ship and then assigning a weight of 1g to those items.

It's a hacked together system to get around the shipping system limitations, but it works.

@dynambee do you foresee problems or considerations by fixing the free shipping button so that it overrides everything for the prescribed zones and groups and makes shipping free for that item regardless of all other settings?

It would only make shipping free for that item, so the actual total shipping cost would still be the sum of all the individual cart items

Edited by Mark

I have never found a way to make the shipping system work properly when there are items with different types of shipping assigned to them and in the cart at the same time. The TB system does not allow multiple carriers to be chosen for one order so if you have one item that only offers carrier ABC and another item that only offers carrier XYZ then everything goes to shit. Even if one item has carrier ABC and the other allows ABC or XYZ things get weird. The more complicated the options, the weirder it gets.

In the end we gave up. We no longer assign shipping carriers to items but instead had a module developed for us that allows us to limit the available shipping options based on what is in the cart during the checkout process.

When items require a specific type of shipping we just set their weight to be extremely low so they don't impact what types of shipping the customer can choose for the other items in the cart. We include the cost of shipping in the item price, add a note in the description that the item offers "free" shipping, and also mention that it will always ship by XYZ shipping type, regardless of the shipping type chosen during checkout. Then our in-office systems manage the outbound shipping make sure items are shipped as needed.

Every shopping cart has some weak points. TB is absolutely incredible in many ways. Top performance, very stable, really good API, responsive project managers, etc, etc. I am confident that it is the best platform for us, but the shipping system is a weak point, for us it is the main weak point. However now that we have given up trying to make the shipping system work how we think it should work but instead found ways to make our systems adapt to what TB can manage, things are okay. In fact I'm actually quite happy with how things are working in the shipping area now and probably wouldn't make any changes to it even if we could.

Even though you've created a workaround by paying someone to build you a fix in the form of a custom module, shipping should work for everyone outa the box I believe.

Out of the box cannot charge people the right price for delivery

It doesn't work out of the box properly if you assign carriers to specific products, and then customers try to buy items that have different carrier assignments.

Amazon is a good example of a company that manages this perfectly for complex shipping situations. What they do is have different data tables for orders and shipments. Each order is split into shipments automatically by the Amazon system. If all items can be shipped together then only one shipment is created. However if items are shipping from different Amazon warehouses or they require different types of shipping then Amazon automatically (and with no input from the customer) splits one order into multiple shipments. This might even be if you buy 5 of the same thing and 3 come from one warehouse while 2 come from another. A single large order could have 2, 3, 4, 5 etc shipments, all managed automatically by their cart. With a site the size of Amazon this splitting can get complicated quickly, but even for a small site with 7 or 8 different types of shipping it can get complicated quickly. It looks simple to the customer because Amazon has done a great job with their cart but behind the scenes they have a lot of shit going on to get this right.

I would love to see TB migrate to this type of shipping system, including allowing orders to be split or combined into single or multiple shipments in the back office. Then if a customer orders 20 of something but only 11 are available for immediate shipment 11 can be shipped today and the remaining 9 can be shipped next week when more stock arrives. (Unsurprisingly Amazon supports this, too.)

Its not a case of there being something wrong with my setup so far as I can tell, its a problem requiring code changes to fix the logic around Free Delivery. I guess the next stage is to put this into GitHub so the problem can be dealt with. @datakickdid invite me to do so awhile back, but I didnt because I dont feel like I know the system well enough yet to get this request right.

7 hours ago, Mark said:

Its not a case of there being something wrong with my setup so far as I can tell, its a problem requiring code changes to fix the logic around Free Delivery. I guess the next stage is to put this into GitHub so the problem can be dealt with. @datakickdid invite me to do so awhile back, but I didnt because I dont feel like I know the system well enough yet to get this request right.

Good for you, tell us whenever you'll fix this !

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mark said:

Actually I did do this a long time ago in GitHub here https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues/947

@Traumflug@datakick

Its closed off as being done, but Im not sure if thats the case?

The Free Shipping issue remains

I don't have any problem with shipping, as I never use FREE SHIPPING button, but I set to 0 the zones and ranges I want to offer to customer.

This Free Shipping should maybe be deleted, you'll have clearer vision on how to setup shipping as you like really.

Edited by zen

With some jigging about and persisting with the buggy code, its possible to get the thing set properly once you know what you are doing and know how to set Free Shipping by not using Free Shipping, but its stilll a bug and bad UI and the Free Shipping button should probably stay as thats a nice simple clear thing for users, in my my view. That is, if it was to work properly.

We are getting the Too heavy error on one shop out of 14 and don't offer free shipping as many items we sell the shipping cost exceeds the profit due to the weight.  Very strange as all the shops have the same shipping configuration.

We offer UPS and Fedex using the built in carrier modules which are online.  In this case the only item in the cart are some plastic fuel filters weighing less than a lb.

delivery error too heavy.PNG

We were getting the Too heavy error on one shop out of 14 and don't offer free shipping as many items we sell the shipping cost exceeds the profit due to the weight.  Very strange as all the shops have the same shipping configuration.

We offer UPS and Fedex using the built in carrier modules which are online.  In this case the only item in the cart are some plastic fuel filters weighing less than a lb.  This turned out to be a database issue.   We copied a database from a similar shop that was working correctly, modified it to the shop url and that fixed it.

I have the same error if people are not logged in: THE PRODUCT SELECTION CANNOT BE DELIVERED BY THE AVAILABLE CARRIER(S): IT IS TOO HEAVY. PLEASE AMEND YOUR CART TO LOWER ITS WEIGHT.

If you are logged in BEFORE adding anything to cart, the error does not appear. And everything goes smooth.

If you login AFTER adding anything to cart with an existing account, the error is there.  However, payment goes through and the order is generated.

If you are a guest or visitor, the error appears and it keeps appearing and screwing up payment even after they create an account.  The payment goes through but the order is not created.

Any help?

This explanation message is probably a red herring.

What thirtybees does is it tries to find all available carriers for delivery address associated with cart. At different stages of checkout process, this address is different. For example, guests don't have any address associated yet (in that case, tb will try to find available carriers for default country + visitor group)

List of available carries for address is then filtered by carrier conditions (max weight, price, etc...). If condition is not satisfied, carrier is removed from list, and the 'reason flag' is saved.

If all carriers are filtered out, then theme will display error message depending on collected 'reason flags'. Most themes (based on default theme) will display only the first reason in the list. This is the reason associated with the first carrier that was filtered out. Of course, other carriers might have been filtered out for different reasons, but theme does not show this info.

Let me show some simple example: 

A B C D E F            
     |
     |                 <-- 1) list is filtered by address (its delivery zone) + group + product restriction
     |
  A B C D              
     |
     |                 <-- 2) list is filtered by carrier conditions
     |
    A C                

In this example we have 6 carriers.

Filter #1) for *guests*, the list is filtered using country associated with visitor. This is usually default shop country, but it can be an actual country, if you have some geoip module installed. Also, this initial filter takes into account current customer group (VISITORS) and filters out any carriers that are not applicable to this group. Also, product carrier restriction is considered. Or Warehouse association in case of advanced stock management. 

This first filter can reduce the list significantly. And what's more important, we don't track the reasons why were these carriers filtered out

Filter #2) carriers are evaluated according their conditions, for example max weight. If conditions are not met, then the carrier is removed from list + reason is saved. In our example, reason for 'B' could be 'max package weight', and reason for D could be 'out of price range' 

If, after the filter #2 the list is empty, thirtybees will explain this using the very first collected reason information. In our example, this reason would be 'max package weight', even tough there were many reasons why the carriers were filtered out.

My only recommendation for you is to edit the theme template, and replace this 'max weight explanation' with generic 'No carriers were found' explanation. 

On 4/3/2020 at 2:36 AM, datakick said:

This explanation message is probably a red herring.

What thirtybees does is it tries to find all available carriers for delivery address associated with cart. At different stages of checkout process, this address is different. For example, guests don't have any address associated yet (in that case, tb will try to find available carriers for default country + visitor group)

List of available carries for address is then filtered by carrier conditions (max weight, price, etc...). If condition is not satisfied, carrier is removed from list, and the 'reason flag' is saved.

If all carriers are filtered out, then theme will display error message depending on collected 'reason flags'. Most themes (based on default theme) will display only the first reason in the list. This is the reason associated with the first carrier that was filtered out. Of course, other carriers might have been filtered out for different reasons, but theme does not show this info.

Let me show some simple example: 

A B C D E F            
     |
     |                 <-- 1) list is filtered by address (its delivery zone) + group + product restriction
     |
  A B C D              
     |
     |                 <-- 2) list is filtered by carrier conditions
     |
    A C                

In this example we have 6 carriers.

Filter #1) for *guests*, the list is filtered using country associated with visitor. This is usually default shop country, but it can be an actual country, if you have some geoip module installed. Also, this initial filter takes into account current customer group (VISITORS) and filters out any carriers that are not applicable to this group. Also, product carrier restriction is considered. Or Warehouse association in case of advanced stock management. 

This first filter can reduce the list significantly. And what's more important, we don't track the reasons why were these carriers filtered out

Filter #2) carriers are evaluated according their conditions, for example max weight. If conditions are not met, then the carrier is removed from list + reason is saved. In our example, reason for 'B' could be 'max package weight', and reason for D could be 'out of price range' 

If, after the filter #2 the list is empty, thirtybees will explain this using the very first collected reason information. In our example, this reason would be 'max package weight', even tough there were many reasons why the carriers were filtered out.

My only recommendation for you is to edit the theme template, and replace this 'max weight explanation' with generic 'No carriers were found' explanation. 

@datakickThank you for the explanation.  However, it used to work fine and I changed nothing.  Out of desperation, as I am losing money hand over fist since customers cannot checkout, I decided to recreate ALL my carriers.  Something has gone wrong with carriers.  I tried to do lettermail for example, which has a weight limit of 500 grams.  It worked.  However, suddenly, the 30 kg limit appears and it will not let me save.  The 30 kg limit is for another carrier and has nothing to do with lettermail and I never entered it in the first place.  I think it is what is causing the 'weight' error.  If I try to delete the 30 kg nonsense, it deletes my last entry for the 500 grams...  It is totally bonkers!

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 5.10.19 PM.png