thirty bees forum

Help me develop killer One Page Checkout module

datakick

1 hour ago, DRMasterChief said:

Do you mean some information about the items will be in the order summary block (and also in the cart block)?   Can there be also essential product features (e.g. the first 100 characters of short description)? 

That's why I suggested this solution.

I would hate to display this 'essential product features' in the floating Cart block, as it would only distract users.

If it really must be displayed, then this new 'Order summary' section would be the right place to do it.

We show the 'essential product features' in our actual shopsystem directly below each product in small font size, which looks very ok and useful,  nearly all other merchants does the same here in Germany,  just for your information.

I think, when we can fit the law for 99%, then everything is ok.  I think the bad people who are looking for such mistakes only look for absolutely gross mistakes. As soon as you are ok with the law for 99%, you don't want to get involved in a legal dispute, because the result is too uncertain.

How can we go on with your solution? Can you make an first demo module only on your own site to see exactly how this can look and work? 

additional:  there was a discussion some time ago 'to have a field in BO in each product' for 'essential product features' and merchant can use it or not  (also here in this forum).

A lot of merchants will prefer such a thing, but there was no reaction from PS and also not from tb.  If they will not use it in shopping cart, then maybe for other things. It's just to have an separate field for such details  and maybe shop developer should have an ear for these things,  then 1. required laws can be covered and 2. this is maybe an additional nice to have other shopsystems dont have...  not only for this German regulation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just released new version of chex module containing following enhancements:

Minimal purchase amount

Chex now verifies minimal required purchase total settings that can be set in Preferences > Orders

Last second product availability check

New feature - check for product availability. This verification is performed right before the user is redirected to payment provider. If the product is no longer available, redirection to payment gateway is blocked, and customer is notified about product being not available anymore.

This feature greatly reduce the possibility of ending up with negative stock.

Support payment form binding

Added support for payment modules that implement redirection to payment gateway using POST form binding.

Remember selected payment option

This small enhancement make selected payment sticky. When you navigate from checkout page and later return back, then previously selected payment option will be recovered

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, datakick said:

New feature - check for product availability. This verification is performed right before the user is redirected to payment provider. If the product is no longer available, redirection to payment gateway is blocked, and customer is notified about product being not available anymore.

Looks like it works fine now ..thanks

Capture.JPG

10 minutes ago, AndyC said:

Looks like it works fine now ..thanks

Capture.JPG

Actually, this is not what I meant. The check displayed on your screenshot is performed by thirtybees, but it's performed at the time user adds item to the cart. It can be a long time before the customer completes the purchase. If this was the last product in stock, and somebody else purchased it before the first customer completes order, you would end up with negative stock. To prevent this (or mitigate it), I've added another test that is performed at the very last second -- when you click on 'Buy' button in chex. 

There is still a chance that you will end up with negative stock, but with this check in place, this issue should be reduced to minimum. The race condition is now limited on the timespan that customer spend on payment gateway only

• Like 1

oops sorry ... I was zeroing stock with multiple quantities (in my case different stones) that were out of stock and wondered if it would still let me order and I was still able to...Maybe it was because it was still caching and now it's been cleared so bringing up the message

Edited by AndyC

22 hours ago, datakick said:

I've just released new version of chex module containing following enhancements:

Minimal purchase amount

Chex now verifies minimal required purchase total settings that can be set in Preferences > Orders

Support payment form binding

Added support for payment modules that implement redirection to payment gateway using POST form binding.

Remember selected payment option

This small enhancement make selected payment sticky. When you navigate from checkout page and later return back, then previously selected payment option will be recovered

Just FYI, it may be that the update check in the module backend isn't picking it up yet. It says: 'You have latest version 0.6.4 of this module. Last check 9 days ago' (even though I clicked 'check for updates').

• Like 1

Bug report / feature request:

I've noticed an inconsistency in the way that Chex is working with regards to the selection of states in addresses, and I have a request for how to fix this.

I am running the latest version of Chex, 0.7.0 as of this writing.

The issue:

At the start of the checkout process in the "shipping and payment method" section when you choose a shipping destination country, if that country has a list of states then a default state will be auto-selected. The default is the first state in the list. Like this:

spacer.png

When you move further into the checkout process the collapsed "shipping & payment method" section looks like this:

spacer.png

However, when you get down to the "Personal details" section, the country & state selection looks like this:

spacer.png

As you can see above, no default state is auto-selected.

Furthermore, once you select "Australia" (or any other country with a list of states) in the "personal details" section the "shipping and payment method" section changes to show the country instead of the state, like this:

spacer.png

Requested solution:

Please do not have a default state selected in the "shipping and payment method" section.

Alternatively, please allow shop owners to select if they want a default state to be chosen and then have that preference apply in both sections of Chex.

The reason I request this particular solution is that some shops will require a state to be selected in order to calculate shipping charges while other shops do not require a state to be selected as the cost is the same for all destinations within each country. Allowing shop owners to select this allows for maximum flexibility during the checkout process.

I hope I have explained everything well but if I haven't please let me know and I will be happy to clarify with additional screenshots as needed.

Edited by dynambee
Slight clarifications and included my Chex version.

• 4 weeks later...

I have released new version 0.8.0

This version fixes one serious bug from 0.7.0 regarding payment redirection. If any one of you is using 0.7.0, please install the new version.

Other than fixing this bug, there is also a new functionality implemented. As you might know, chex has custom fields support since version 0.5.0. But this support was very limited, because entered data were not stored in the database. That meant that the use case was limited for *required checkbox* fields only. 

In this new version, I've added persistence support. All informations entered by your customers will be saved to database. At the moment there is no UI option to see these saved values, I'll implement that in the next version. But at least data are now stored, and you can access them using direct sql.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the update!
For the next version you may want to look at the 'check for updates' and 'download latest version' features. They don't work for me. The former doesn't check and the latter leads to a 404. The former also doesn't work on 'Conseqs'. The latter does.

16 minutes ago, 30knees said:

For the next version you may want to look at the 'check for updates' and 'download latest version' features. They don't work for me. The former doesn't check and the latter leads to a 404. The former also doesn't work on 'Conseqs'. The latter does.

Thanks for reporting this. The 'Check for updates' functionality works fine for me, though. The problem is probably with your browser. Most likely you have installed some plugin that prevents tracking. Check for updates functionality uses ajax call from browser to my api server, and some plugins can interpret this as an ads or analytics tracking attempt, and therefore block it. That's pretty aggressive.

Alternative would be to use server-to-server calls (curl). But that's not reliable as well, because many hosting providers block outgoing connections for security reasons by default.  

Just now, 30knees said:

Thanks! It was the EFF Privacy Badger plugin. I reported your API server as shouldn't be blocked.

Thanks for that, I really appreciate this. In current *security first* world it's very difficult to build distributed api solutions. 

Anyway, I will probably implement the server-to-server api communication as well, and use browser-to-server only as a fallback. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 30knees said:

Yeah it happens with me as well .Every update it happens. I have to sign in and download via account

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have two questions, the first for all and the second for datakick.

1. I've noticed that a lot of my customers are confused about how to enter a different shipping and invoice address. Has anyone else noticed this, too? They get confused that after adding a new address the address is saved as both the shipping and invoice address and aren't aware that they can go back to select differing shipping and invoice addresses.

2. Where would I add a button for a pop-up in Chex so customers can enter a special type of address format? The button exists in the customer account area where customers can add new addresses (see screenshot), but it doesn't show in the Chex flow. 

Thanks!

image.png

On 3/23/2020 at 2:53 PM, datakick said:

That's why I suggested this solution.

I would hate to display this 'essential product features' in the floating Cart block, as it would only distract users.

If it really must be displayed, then this new 'Order summary' section would be the right place to do it.

@datakick Do you still have this on your list? As already discussed in Germany we have this law that requires the cart summary (plus addtional product features) directly above the confirmation/buy button. Perhaps you could add the option in modules settings to show this redundant information for merchants who think they need it. But may be this is not really required by law? If a customer chooses to buy via Klarna and checksout via 'buy now' button he is redirected to Klarna confirmation page that looks pretty familiar to Chex as it is. See attachment please

Second, I was irrated to notice that saw the forms to enter adress information after I entered my email adress while doing a test buy. My email adress is already registered and I assumed that my adresses would be shown but instead of that Chex showed me forms to enter new adress if wanted and the more or less 'hidden' link to uses already registered adress. I think the other way round would be more UX friendly?

klarna checkout zahlungspflichtig bestellen 2.png

Edited by Pedalman

On 4/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, dynambee said:

Bug report / feature request:

I've noticed an inconsistency in the way that Chex is working with regards to the selection of states in addresses, and I have a request for how to fix this.

I am running the latest version of Chex, 0.7.0 as of this writing.

The issue:

At the start of the checkout process in the "shipping and payment method" section when you choose a shipping destination country, if that country has a list of states then a default state will be auto-selected. The default is the first state in the list. Like this:

spacer.png

When you move further into the checkout process the collapsed "shipping & payment method" section looks like this:

spacer.png

However, when you get down to the "Personal details" section, the country & state selection looks like this:

spacer.png

As you can see above, no default state is auto-selected.

Furthermore, once you select "Australia" (or any other country with a list of states) in the "personal details" section the "shipping and payment method" section changes to show the country instead of the state, like this:

spacer.png

Requested solution:

Please do not have a default state selected in the "shipping and payment method" section.

Alternatively, please allow shop owners to select if they want a default state to be chosen and then have that preference apply in both sections of Chex.

The reason I request this particular solution is that some shops will require a state to be selected in order to calculate shipping charges while other shops do not require a state to be selected as the cost is the same for all destinations within each country. Allowing shop owners to select this allows for maximum flexibility during the checkout process.

I hope I have explained everything well but if I haven't please let me know and I will be happy to clarify with additional screenshots as needed.

Not sure if this is a bug, really. It's definitely nuisance / ui glitch, but I don't think it prevents anyone from completing the checkout flow. 

It's on my list of todo tasks. Very low priority, tough. 

On 6/3/2020 at 9:41 PM, 30knees said:

2. Where would I add a button for a pop-up in Chex so customers can enter a special type of address format? The button exists in the customer account area where customers can add new addresses (see screenshot), but it doesn't show in the Chex flow. 

I don't follow. Can you please explain a little bit more?

On 6/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, Pedalman said:

@datakick Do you still have this on your list? As already discussed in Germany we have this law that requires the cart summary (plus addtional product features) directly above the confirmation/buy button. Perhaps you could add the option in modules settings to show this redundant information for merchants who think they need it. But may be this is not really required by law? If a customer chooses to buy via Klarna and checksout via 'buy now' button he is redirected to Klarna confirmation page that looks pretty familiar to Chex as it is. See attachment please

Yes. It's number two on the todo list (for this project)

On 6/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, Pedalman said:

Second, I was irrated to notice that saw the forms to enter adress information after I entered my email adress while doing a test buy. My email adress is already registered and I assumed that my adresses would be shown but instead of that Chex showed me forms to enter new adress if wanted and the more or less 'hidden' link to uses already registered adress. I think the other way round would be more UX friendly?

Addresses are filtered by currently selected country. If you select destination country for which no address exists yet, you will be asked to enter new one. You can switch to the list of existing addresses and choose one, but that will change destination country as well. Which mean recalculation of the cart, shipping rates, etc... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, datakick said:

Not sure if this is a bug, really. It's definitely nuisance / ui glitch, but I don't think it prevents anyone from completing the checkout flow. 

It's on my list of todo tasks. Very low priority, tough. 

Thank you for at least replying and letting me know.

In the meantime I have worked out a solution that works around the problem for my particular situation.

Thanks for all the work you do on Chex and other modules, I hope to buy more stuff from you in the future.

7 hours ago, dynambee said:

@Pedalman, I bought Chex quite a while ago but can't even get a reply to a bug report or a comment on a feature request. It's frustrating to say the least.

This is a forum, one of many forums I'm participating in. I'm subscribed to hundreds of threads. Unfortunately, it's very easy to miss/forget some message.