thirty bees forum

Goodbye

datakick

Look, this project needs "Senior" developers like @datakick and @Traumflug. It also needs leadership.
Point is, with new PHP versions coming out more often these days, and other factors like security, you can unfortunately not just 'set and forget' a site anymore.
Might work for a bit, but when your host insists that you need to upgrade to PHP 8 (for example) or if there is a serious security issue or bug, that's when you need people like @datakick to fix Core.
As great as TB is, it's not yet perfect (don't know if any project is, but it's pretty close). And with the ground underneath its feet evolving (PHP), it needs to evolve also, just to keep standing - even if it doesn't add new features.

Also, without leadership, let's not kid ourselves: this ship adrift, is eventually going to hit the rocks and take all our sites with it (including the massive Corporate level sites some of us have developed).

So once again, how do we fix this? And what do you need to stay @datakick ? Like specifics? And what happened to you @Traumflug - and what do you need to come back?

Should we create some sort of Community Leadership Panel? That gives direction, goals and guidance? With like a leader that people can vote in every year or term or something?
Should we fork? Or take ownership of TB somehow (including Partnerships, Advertising and Patreon revenues)?

Edited by Theo

28 minutes ago, toplakd said:

This thread started just fine

Yeah sure. With a foundational / core member just saying bye. Fine indeed. Wtf...

Oh and bytw, about Fernando... the real twist was actually that he was his own TWIN brother! That was sent from the future, who fathered himself and his twin - who was taken away and sent to the future.
By his Aunt, Katerina - who - it turns out - is an ex agent of la SkyNet. Who after a 'bug' in her programming, discovered the error of her (its?) ways, and decided to go back to the past to 'groom' the Fernando twins. And sent one back to the future, to come back to the past, to complete the loop. Roll credits. With nice Terminator end music with a nice Latin feel (think Spanish guitars and 'serious' drum beat).

Edited by Theo

I do think all should stop with this mass hysteria.

It all started with corona,

little later @datakick saying goodbye

3 days later ownership over @thirty bees was taken together Patreon revenues

and on April 20. the sun went dark.

Cool down, drink some 0% beer and enjoy the sun for next 5 days

Edited by toplakd

I know everyone here is waiting for me to come and comment, to say that everything is under control, but if I said that we all know that would be a lie. The fact is I am getting better a lot slower than I anticipated and I am unsure what the future holds. But I am open to what it does hold. I am also open to answering any questions you all might have. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, toplakd said:

I do think all should stop with this mass hysteria.

It all started with corona,

little later @datakick saying goodbye

3 days later ownership over @thirty bees was taken together Patreon revenues

and on April 20. the sun went dark.

Cool down, drink some 0% beer and enjoy the sun for next 5 days

OK, but this is not new... Datakick is leaving because of this unclear situation, why not take the opportunity to move forward instead of let it become rotten.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lesley said:

I know everyone here is waiting for me to come and comment, to say that everything is under control, but if I said that we all know that would be a lie. The fact is I am getting better a lot slower than I anticipated and I am unsure what the future holds. But I am open to what it does hold. I am also open to answering any questions you all might have. 

Good to know that you start getting better 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lesley said:

Welcome back. Hope you're ok. Sorry that this is going on during your recovery. I know it's not funny and you definitely don't need any hecticness right now. 

So, what's the plan? Is there a succession plan? How do you make @datakick stay?
Can we (someone / community) take over?

1 minute ago, zen said:

OK, but this is not new... Datakick is leaving because of this unclear situation, why not take the opportunity to move forward instead of let it become rotten

As its open source, one can start its own fork, but for that one needs nerves, because negativity is mostly higher than positivity, especially on free stuff.

As @Traumflug said, you can not see that much negativity on prestashop forums like we are able to see here 😢

5 minutes ago, toplakd said:

As its open source, one can start its own fork, but for that one needs nerves, because negativity is mostly higher than positivity, especially on free stuff.

As @Traumflug said, you can not see that much negativity on prestashop forums like we are able to see here 😢

I think you are exagerating, Presta had and still have a lot of negativity on the forum but they also have a Community manager and moderators that delete a lot of unwanted messages, that sucks !

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lesley said:

@toplakd Its because we have a better community. They care more about the product than just bouncing in once or twice to ask a question. Most of the negativity comes from strong feelings towards the project just expressed poorly. 

Really appreciate that you came back to comment here. Thank you. I wish you the absolute best for your recovery. 

Yes, we care about the project. You and everyone that contributed really built something awesome and special. 

We want to help move it forward. With positivity. So what can we do? 

Edited by Theo

33 minutes ago, lesley said:

@theo Currently there is no plan. I have actively been looking for someone that is capable of taking over. I had a talk with @datakick about it before he made this post, he was not interested. 

To make things clear - by "not being interested" @lesley means I turned down his offered to sell me the tb company. The asking price was 30x more than I could (or would) ever pay for it. And frankly, even if the offer was 30x lower, I'd still have to think very very hard about it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, datakick said:

To make things clear - by "not being interested" @lesley means I turned down his offered to sell me the tb company. The asking price was 30x more than I could (or would) ever pay for it. And frankly, even if the offer was 30x lower, I'd still have to thing very very hard about it. 

to Sell it ? ok.. now I also join @toplakd on the soap opera thing ! it's mind bogus^^

And since it is a company, if it folded, you would not be harmed economically. It was just an off the cuff offer as well, using standard valuation models. The most important thing for me is putting someone at the helm that can take the company into the future. I feel I am no longer that person with my health challenges and everything that goes along with that.