thirty bees forum

Goodbye

datakick

On 5/1/2020 at 12:19 PM, Kashir2000 said:

@Traumflug There is also another thing. There are not many people wanting for TB to rise for one simple reason: Having to maintain compatibility for 2 shops. A lot of devs dream of 1.6 being put to rest (yes, they also hate Prestashop 1.6), as 1.7 takes over. Maintaining backward compatibility with 1.6 (and/or TB) is additional work. So basically it's not personally aimed at TB or you guys, it's aimed at lowering costs and maximizing income. Because of state of 1.7 I'm seriously thinking about changing my business model. I don't want to be held responsible by my clients for bugs in 1.7. Still, my clients I migrated to TB expect FROM ME modules for prestashop to work or fix them. Their mentality is like: "If I had Prestashop, it would surely work". So either I go on war with them or comply with their insane requests.

It's a shame, but this brings a lot of regret to devs like you and me.

PS: Also, when I recommend thirtybees and explain all differences, I'm being held responsible for recommending it to clients. Some people are insane, and blaming their decisions on others. And saying "Prestashop would be better". That's where "brand" part comes in.

As long as the ThirtyBees community is not stronger as it is today, I think it make sense to maintain the compatibility with PrestaShop 1.6. There are really many good modules for Prestashop 1.6, but if you skip the compatibility, then there are suddenly no additional modules available to enhance the functionality of your shop to suit your needs.

Since Prestashop 1.6 doesn't change much anymore, it doesn't necessarily cost extra money to keep the compatibility. You should just not change the architecture of ThirtyBees 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well I have been on since before 1.0 but lately I understand that it is time to look elsewhere. Its a real pity, so much is done already. And there is notmuch alternatives out there. But when mdekker gave up, everything changed. RIP

Really ?

My ideas are on  'does TB need an update/new version every few weeks'?  I think not.  I am not a dev, but i think it is a good and strong software 'with not that much bugs' and you can rely on.  What when we go on with this for a further time and let the things sort.  Everyone should look for devs who can work on TB in the meantime, this should be clear, even when this is not easy,  but i also think a lot of devs are NOT looking forward to go on with PS 1.7x Symphony shit....

• Like 1

Well I can only judge from my own perspective. F.ex I want to use the Stripe module. But cannot do it because it miss 10 countries where Stripe is available. Stripe support say I cant use another country, it must be the country where business is registered. I am not a developer but I imagine that it is only about to add 10 countries in the countrylist. The alternative would be for me to buy the PS module. But does it work? Far from all PS 1.6 modules work with TB. I would hate to see TB go down, not only for the reason that we since 1.0 run a successful shop with almost 2000 products that I cant imagine how to move, but in general because there is no affordable alternative. 

15 minutes ago, Havouza said:

lately I understand that it is time to look elsewhere. Its a real pity, so much is done already.

Not sure how to answer this. Seen this 'Goodbye' thread, and perhaps some of these spontanously appearing chats? People talked about "plans", but actually meant their personal wishlist. A wishlist-festival! On top a couple of people who tried to switch a few simple knobs in order to pull developers in for their own favor.

Working on tb means hearing complaints and unfulfillable wishes every day. "I want this!", "somebody should do that!", "why is this still not done!!1!!!" ... and all for free and yesterday, of course.

Somewhere in the depths of Slack is a channel with lots of developers, most at least partially building their business on tb. Same experience there: "when will this be done?", "should do that!!", "why didn't do somebody XY already???" ... and zero contributions from them, not a single line of code. A quite daunting experience, one needs a thick skin to survive in such an environment.

I am not a developer but I imagine that it is only about to add 10 countries in the countrylist. The alternative would be for me to buy the PS module. But does it work?

Ah. No hesitation to shell out money towards the old PS universe, but not even thinking about investing these bucks into the tb project. I better stay silent here.

Perhaps the recent stirrup is a cleaning rain shower for the project. Because there are also these other merchants and developers. Those developers who don't complain, but show up with code. Those merchants who don't lament about free modules not working perfectly, but pay a developer to get these modules there. It's a joy and a satisfying experience to work with them and for them. Thanks to all of them, they move the project forward!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, elund said:

It's my impression that most well programmed PS 1.6 modules works with TB.

Yes, this is true. Many modules not PHP 7.3 compliant, though, logging the typical warnings behind the scenes next to working just fine on the public surface. Also usually fairly easy fixes.

38 minutes ago, wakabayashi said:

@Havouza for such issues there is a new service available: Merchant's edition

The rest is as it was some weeks ago. TB is awaiting its death, if nothing serious changes.

To me it's very unclear what this new site is all about. It seems like an unfinished site. If you want to move people from here to that site I think first thing would be to set up a new forum software. Second, explain in blog post more what it's all about. Third, give people a clue of what the real offer is cause it's hard for me to understand. How much does it cost and what will I get?

If it's only a place where I can hire a TB developer I do already have one.

3 minutes ago, Briljander said:

It seems like an unfinished site.

Great stuff is always "unfinished". Remember the first iPhone? Far behind what one could do with this hardware, still it started a new era of computing for everyone. Because these few things it did were implemented extremely well, everything else was postponed to later models. Merchant's Edition probably won't start a new era for everybody, still it follows this strategy.

This forum is a working forum already, low urgency to duplicate it.

• Thanks 1

Well at least my comment seems to have stired up some unrest. And as usual Markus come up on the baricades. He is a fighter, but without any diplomatic skilles. Many has he pissed  off since he joined the project, not me though. I am to old to bother and after have been living in Germany for 7 years before we moved here I know the type.
But hope something good come out of this thread. I for one will continue using TB as long as possible.

Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Traumflug said:

Great stuff is always "unfinished". Remember the first iPhone? Far behind what one could do with this hardware, still it started a new era of computing for everyone. Because these few things it did were implemented extremely well, everything else was postponed to later models. Merchant's Edition probably won't start a new era for everybody, still it follows this strategy.

This forum is a working forum already, low urgency to duplicate it.

Of course nothing is perfect and there is always something that can be done better. But then you might tell people what those extraordinary features are of that page that will outrule everything else like iPhone did cause that's exactly what's hard for me to find there?

It might be something good but I don't understand what the offer is or if it's just an informational page?

34 minutes ago, Briljander said:

But then you might tell people what those extraordinary features are

One can hire developers and a clear statement that the project currently named thirty bees isn't going to be abandoned. If you prefer another developer and don't care about the future of thirty bees it currently offers nothing for you, that simple 🙂

3 hours ago, Traumflug said:

One can hire developers and a clear statement that the project currently named thirty bees isn't going to be abandoned. If you prefer another developer and don't care about the future of thirty bees it currently offers nothing for you, that simple 🙂

I do care about the future. That's why I have been around here for almost 3 years and also been a Patreon. But I do already have a developer that I hire. So if that's all that site brings to the table it doesn't do much for me no.

Sad to read this news from Datakick a little late. I can unterstand him. I spent around 3 years in contributing to Prestashop and saw the downsides there. Little appreciation from the community and even less than little money. So I would be willing to pay some fix fees. I would vote for flexible rates, not all TB users might be able to throw a $50 per month.

best regards,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Goodnight,
We are developing an altruistic project to make stores for the small autonomous affected by the break in their
activities during the coronavirus.

After a month of testing we chose thirty bees for being free, light and adding advantageous functionalities.

We are about to come to light and we could not bear to pay as we cover the cost of accommodation and 22 
engineers donate our work.

Do you think I should look for another solution or have we chosen well?

Thank you very much and best regards.
Edited by Jaen
Copy/Paste