thirty bees forum

How many Warehouse users we have? Can we crowdfund php8 support for this theme?

the.rampage.rado

How many customers of Warehouse we have here?

I'm thinking of talking with the developer if he's interested in updating his 1.6 version to work with php8 and bump all customized modules according to latest TB code.

Currently the theme is working with php7.3 but 8 gives at least 2 errors for me and php8 will be a must very soon.

Can we crowdfund such an endevour? 

• Like 1

We moved away from Warehouse to the default theme, due to lack of seo settings, high amount of codestrings.
The default theme does support lot of great stuff, have a good pageload and awesome ranks on pagespeed.com witch warehouse don't have. 

On 7/27/2022 at 12:38 PM, Cassim said:

We moved away from Warehouse to the default theme, due to lack of seo settings, high amount of codestrings.
The default theme does support lot of great stuff, have a good pageload and awesome ranks on pagespeed.com witch warehouse don't have. 

On 7/27/2022 at 12:48 PM, the.rampage.rado said:

Please, guys can we keep this thread about my idea only?

However, that's the real question about this template which only exists because it allows you to waste your time learning how to use modules to hope to get a result with average performance instead of spending almost less time learning css and smarty to get exactly what you want while developing a useful skill for the future.

I understand that this theme can be interesting since everyone thinks that a killer design is the only way their store will make money, when that is a big mistake. Above all, it's a simple, understandable and powerful site that does the job and surprisingly, the flashy design goes far enough, especially when this kind of theme allows you to add WordPress-like animations on the divs totally counter productive in ecommerce.

The version for 1.6 is long abandoned and so, I don't think the creator of this one will bring a real added value to correct the PHP8 compatibility, especially since it only concerns the modules and so, the theme won't benefit from any performance improvement or evolutions that the version for 1.7 has.

It seems more reasonable to me to redo your theme properly, on a clean basis, than to invest on this one.

This is a forum, which includes sharing opinions and experiences, not just closed discussions.

------------

Pourtant, c'est la vraie question concernant ce template qui n'existe que parce qu'il permet de perdre son temps à apprendre à utiliser des modules pour espérer obtenir un résultat aux performances moyennes au lieu de passer presque moins de temps à se former au css et smarty pour obtenir exactement ce que l'on veut tout en développant une compétence utile à l'avenir.

Je comprends que ce thème peut être intéressant puisque tout le monde pense qu'un design qui déchire est le seul moyen que sa boutique rapporte de l'argent, alors que cela est une grossière erreur. Avant tout, c'est un site, simple, compréhensible et performant qui fait le job et étonnamment, le design clinquant arrive assez loin, surtout lorsque ce genre de thème permet de rajouter des animations à la WordPress sur les div totalement contre productive en ecommerce.

La version pour 1.6 est abandonnée depuis longtemps et donc, je ne crois pas que le créateur de celui-ci apportera une réelle plus-value à corriger la compatibilité PHP8, surtout que cela ne concerne que les modules et donc, le thème ne profitera d'aucune amélioration de performance ou des évolutions dont dispose la version pour 1.7.

Il me semble plus raisonnable de refaire votre thème proprement, sur une base seine, que d'investir sur celui-ci.

Voilà, c'est un forum, ce qui inclut le partage d'opinion et d'expérience et pas seulement des discutions fermé.

13 hours ago, Mediacom87 said:

It seems more reasonable to me to redo your theme properly, on a clean basis, than to invest on this one.

So what you say is that you will better work on a theme from 0 no other "base" theme or anything, you will just create a new theme and build it form here. 
Agreeded, that will be the best way to do it. But it might also be a very costly way of doing it, it might be the best but a high cost to do it. 

We use the "core" of the default theme to build based on, to avoid coding lots of the same codes. 
I will say we have recoded 50-60% of the theme. To fit our needs. And now delivering a awesome design, high seo value & great pagespeed. 

2 minutes ago, Cassim said:

So what you say is that you will better work on a theme from 0 no other "base" theme or anything, you will just create a new theme and build it form here. 
Agreeded, that will be the best way to do it. But it might also be a very costly way of doing it, it might be the best but a high cost to do it. 

We use the "core" of the default theme to build based on, to avoid coding lots of the same codes. 
I will say we have recoded 50-60% of the theme. To fit our needs. And now delivering a awesome design, high seo value & great pagespeed. 

Not at all, I'm talking about starting from the basic theme of the solution which already integrates the good usage codes of the techniques proposed by the platform.

No interest to start from scratch in my opinion.

I was joining you on your previous intervention to support this one.

1 hour ago, Cassim said:

I am basically doing that right now. The workload is sick, but I believe it's worth it (for me). My demo site feels so much better than my current shop 😏

sorry to go OT

@wakabayashi what framework do you use? Bootstrap 4 or 5 or something else?
I started to build a new project by using TB and the Cisero theme form Zen which uses Bootstrap 5 and has (imho) a great look on desktop and mobile which made me think that TB needs a standard Theme based on Bootstrap 5

1 hour ago, undecided said:

sorry to go OT

@wakabayashi what framework do you use? Bootstrap 4 or 5 or something else?
I started to build a new project by using TB and the Cisero theme form Zen which uses Bootstrap 5 and has (imho) a great look on desktop and mobile which made me think that TB needs a standard Theme based on Bootstrap 5

Yeah I was in some exchange with @zen , but we are following a different approach. He was basically updating an existing theme to modern standards. I start from stratch and implement a new system with components (basically I implement my own framework).

I use Tailwindcss, which is no classical css framework. As it looks now, I won't need any JS Framework at all. I don't like to have a lot of dependencies. Today I have just coded my own blockcart functionality. It's not even a third of coding lines of the original blockcart. JavaScript advanced a lot since this modules/themes were created.

If you want you can go to genzo.ch and see some progress. But only homepage and category pages are done to some extend. 

• Like 2