thirty bees forum

[Free Module]Revws - Product Reviews

datakick

@datakick I would like to use your module when I have migrated to TB. I do however have another review module that I need to preserve the reviews from. Do you already have an import feature or would this be possible to add? I can probably export and format my existing data to fit your format if I knew what it would have to look like. Maybe this functionality can be useful for others as well in the future when migrating to TB?

it is called : Google Rich Snippets + Product Ratings and Reviews from Businesstech https://www.businesstech.fr/en/google-and-advertising-modules-for-prestashop/23-google-rich-snippets-product-ratings-and-reviews-0656272653309.html

Review texts are stored like jsons in the db: a:4:{s:6:"sTitle";s:17:"Muy recomendable!";s:8:"sComment";s:50:"Muy contenta con el producto, muy mono y original!";s:7:"iLangId";s:1:"4";s:8:"sLangIso";s:2:"es";}

and then there are simple table entries for userId, date, star rating and productId in the db. Should be fairly simple to export with the right sql query

I installed 1.0.4 and it worked fine. I re-install 1.0.5 and it's now doing the opposite, its showing if I'm logged in, but not to guests. so... i have no clue whats going on.

edit: after clearing my BO cache, and my browsers cache, it's doing what I originally said. The stars are not showing on the index pages when I'm logged in, if i log out, they show fine.

signed out 0_1520962768175_Capture2.PNG

signed in 0_1520962791355_Capture.PNG

I suggest to deinstall 1.0.4 via bo/moduls and to reinstall clearly 1.0.5. BUT only if you know how to take care of your reviews in DB. You could easily export them via SQl, Datakick module ... Perhaps better to try it on a clone or before deinstalling to try to delete the module via FTP and to reinstall the new one. Anyhow, I had to do it this way to get rid of this little hickup. I am now a happy user of the module and can happily say that it is a super module with great support. This one in combination with Slick's 'after mail' module to sent a reminder mail to review is a big big plus to use Thirtybees. Great contribution.

I did as you suggested, I uninstalled the module, then deleted, then installed 1.0.5, then imported my old reviews. The bug is still there. When I login I no longer see the stars in the product list on the index, like New arrivals/Popular/Best Sellers/Specials...

edit: hmm. this is only happening on my production site, on my test 1.0.3 site its working fine. I'll do some more digging and get back to you.

edit: well I dunno what it is about 1.0.5, but it doesnt work on my system. I'm back to 1.0.4....

ok, I figured it out. On php 7.1.x, revws 1.0.5 doesnt work for me, on php 5.6.x it works fine....

edit: just for fun I tried php 7.0.x, didnt work on that either for me

edit: ok, so i tested more, and it has to do with the smarty cache on or off. If i have it on in php 7.1, the module doesnt work for me, if i turn it off it works fine.

@hubbobubbo you can map everything during import. You can also clean up data during import, if need be. I've just use this way to import yotpo reviews without any problems.

Just ping me if you need any help setting up import. I can prepare import definition on my demo account, so you can have a look how it's done.

fantastic. I am planning how to migrate and this was one of my open issues. Now it seems it should not be a major concern and I can focus on figuring out which theme to start from once 1.0.4 becomes available.

Thanks for your efforts, I really look forward to testing the module.

I have one feature suggestion for your consideration. On my shop Givensa I created a custom CMS page with an aggregated list of client reviews, like this: Customer opinions. I think its a nice way for new customers to get a quick overview of other clients opinions.

Maybe its a feature you could consider including when you have time?

@datakick thanks for the great module but i have a question about styling and seo - i have now tooo many style-attributes - for example i have product list with 40 products = additional 40 style-attributes - i think it isnt google-like from views / templates / hook / grading.tpl

is it possible to change it generally -> or only manual after new update

for example different classes in modul css

I try to describe it a little differently. I discovered the problem with my shops. Some users do not know that. Despite the great module, you will be devalued by these many additional inline styles by Google. Hence my question, whether it is possible to adapt this generally in the code, so that the shop system is thereby not adversely affected. It is always recommended to outsource the style elements in the css and not the tpl's. This can also lead to longer page load times.

@zimmer-media said in [Free Module]Revws - Product Reviews:

Despite the great module, you will be devalued by these many additional inline styles by Google.

Google doesn't care at all if we use inline styles or css. What is important for them is page load and render time. And very often web pages with inline-styles only can easily beat css powered ones. Simply because there's no need for additional css fetch, and browser can start rendering the page even before it is completely downloaded and parsed. That's not possible if page contains css.

But, obviously, inline styles impact page size, and that in turn impact load time. So it will have some negative effect.

In our case we are talking about two inlines styles per star: style="padding-left:2px;padding-right:2px" and style="stroke-width:50". So we have extra payload of 325 bytes per review. If we have 20 products block on page, we will have to transfer extra 6k. But since everyone is using gzip, this will be greatly reduces to ~1k (gzip is great for repeating texts). With current speed of internet, this amount of extra data won't even register. We are talking about microseconds here. Compare it with size of all the retina images you have on your page...

I agree it would be nice if I didn't have to emit these to page. Why don't I use css here? That's because we couldn't adjust theme from settings page. For example, star size option (and in the future fill and stroke colors, spacing,...). If these properties were hardcoded in css, we couldn't change them from ui. For example, try change star size with your revwspaddi class in place. It will not scale nicely, as 2px padding is too small for large stars.

My module is targeted to ordinary users/merchants, not power users who knows how css works. And with that comes the price :)

Note: maybe in the future I'll add some option to dynamically generate css files when theme options are changes in settings. But at the moment it has very little priority.