thirty bees forum

[Free Module]Revws - Product Reviews

datakick

Hello, Petr! Translating your module i've found, that some of its strings are located in the file 'views/js/back-VERSION.js' Of course i can translate it manually editign JS file directly, but i suspect, that translation will be lost in the next release.

The question is there a way to keep translations and avoid it overwrite during updates?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I can send you Russian translation of your module in order to include it to the distribution.

@daokakao actually strings from *.js files are going through translation process as well. There shouldn't be any need to modify strings in back-version.js file.

If you look at javascript source code, you'll see that english strings are wrapped in function named __(), for example __('English text'). This function will replace the string with translated version during runtime.

If you find any string that can't be translated, please let me know -- it's possible I've forget to wrap some strings into this function somewhere.

It would be great if you could send me your Russian translation to petr@getdatakick.com. Please include translation of email templates as well, if you can. Your help would be very much appreciated.

More information regarding translations. At the moment revws module is translated to bg, cs, de, es, nl languages (only partially) txt Translation 'bg': 156 strings translated [ 62.15% ] Translation 'cs': 251 strings translated [ 100% ] Translation 'de': 170 strings translated [ 67.73% ] Translation 'es': 235 strings translated [ 93.63% ] Translation 'nl': 170 strings translated [ 67.73% ] It would be amazing if you guys could help me complete these translations, or add support for another language.

There are few ways to do this:

1) normal prestashop translation process - just translate everything in your thirtybees backoffice, and then send me .php file 2) download and edit language json file from github. If language does not exists yet, download en.json and rename it to your .json. When you done, send me json file via email 3) if you know how to work with git, then clone revws repository and make changes directly there. Then create pull request

I personally prefer editing strings directly in json file, as I don't have too much confidence in prestashop backend translator tool.

@datakick said in [Free Module]Revws - Product Reviews:

If you find any string that can’t be translated, please let me know – it’s possible I’ve forget to wrap some strings into this function somewhere.

It seems, there're some such forgotten strings in back-xxx.js because it not displayed on 30bz's translation page(s) in any way. One of them related to the review example, another to some hint text.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Google Structure data test error: @ aggregrateRating: 1) Failed to normalize the rating value. 2) Your rating value was out of the default range, you must provide best and worst values.

Below is the excerpt from structure data test:

aggregateRating @type AggregateRating ratingValue 10.00 reviewCount 1 cancel Failed to normalize the rating value. cancel Your rating value was out of the default range, you must provide best and worst values. review
@type Review datePublished 2018-07-04 name Lovely

Rated 10.00/5 based on 1 customer reviews

Hi everyone,

some of you may already know this - I'm going to release a paid version of revws module with ask for review by email functionality (and then a couple more features). I've just started testing it on my demo account, and I wanted to ask you for your help and feedback. If you are interested in this functionality, please try it.

There are these areas to test

Consent management

with all the GDPR stuff it's important to be nice and friendly. That's why I added support for consent with sending review requests. You can choose one of these consent levels: - no consent required - newsletter subscription is considered consent - either newsletter subscription or explicit consent - explicit consent

When you choose one of the explicit consent levels, then you will get a consent checkbox on Account creation page, and also additional request on Order confirmation page (but only if we don't have consent yet)

Also, you customers can unsubscribe from receiving further email requests, so that should help with compliance as well.

0_1530884691545_consent.png

Order list

There are many options to specify for which orders (and when) email requests should be sent. For example, you can define min and max order age, order state, or how long to wait after merchandise was shipped.

To make things easier to understand I added a list of all orders. This list is displaying a stage in which each order is. So you can easily check and see what is going on, why some review requests are not being sent, etc...

0_1530884336150_srr.png

Emails

And of course there are review request emails. You can, obviously, start review process from there. You can also unsubscribe from further review requests. And, to make things a bit more user friendly, there is auto-logging functionality as well.

0_1530885331267_email.png

@nickon I think the mail is sent after a couple of days. In the automation tab you find a button to manually send the mail. In the image above you see the little letter icon on the right. The regular automation is done with a cron job that you can configure the interval for yourself.

You can access the module from the quick access menu in the top menu.

@datakick - can you check this out? https://github.com/getdatakick/revws/issues/31

AWESOME MODULE!!! How can we add additional images instead of stars and hearts?

And one more question - when I run the microdata through the check tool it says something like "Normalization of the rating was not successful" and "The value of your rating is outside the range. You must assign min and max values" (it's in Bulgarian so I have to roughly translate. Those represent 2 errors. What must be done?

@datakick I tested it. Comments: 1. I would put the revws subscribe block UNDER the ps/tb thank you block. So that the user is not confused 2. When clicking on the subcribe button I would change the button to "thank you for subscribing" 3. The checkbox of the email subscription should be on gdpr module where I could check/uncheck the consend

I didn;t use my email so I did not reciece one. So no comment on that atm

Great module When you get the final release out ping me and I will translate it to Greek for you so you can target some more users here.

Thanks @nickon for the feedback.

I would put the revws subscribe block UNDER the ps/tb thank you block. So that the user is not confused

I can't change position of subscribe block - this is decided by theme itself, I just render the content. You would need to modify your theme and move hook placement to some better position.

When clicking on the subcribe button I would change the button to “thank you for subscribing”

Good idea

The checkbox of the email subscription should be on gdpr module where I could check/uncheck the consend

I see what I can do about this. Unfortunately it might not be possible, as prestashop's official gdpr module expects every module to have only one consent. In revws case, there are actually two consents, each for specific area of functionality. One is for review authoring (permission to use provided data when someone write a review), the second needs to be given when user create an account, so we can communicate with them.

I've just release new version 1.0.18

Enhancements

• sanity checks - detect problems with module configuration - report missing email translations etc.
  • improve review creation experience for multiple criteria - there is now a slide effect between criteria
  • drilldowns - links from review list to product / customer
  • microdata - emit information about worst and best ratings
  • fix translations [nl, de, es, ru]
  • dedicated data export / import page (extracted from settings)

multiple bugfixes

• microdata - render aggregated ratings within review list
  • microdata - incorrect calculation of average ratings
  • MyReviews page - fix bug with missing product information

Hi everyone,

I've just released first paid version of revws module - you can read more about it's functionality in one of the previous post.

At the moment I only sell it on my own website, but I'm figuring how to add this to official thirtybees store.

The development of this premium module is not finished yet - I plan to add additional functionality such as rewards for reviews, posting reviews to facebook, automated backups,... But don't worry, if you purchase module now you'll get all future updates for free.

PS: you can test the paid module functionality on my demo account

@movieseals said in [Free Module]Revws - Product Reviews:

If we use the free module, will the paid version will merge itself seamlessly or is it a separate install?

It's just a separate branch of revws module - you can install it the same way you would upgrade revws module to newer version. Simply upload zip and that's it, you won't loose any data or configuration.

Every piece of code that's in free version is also in premium version.

• 3 weeks later...

@datakick

1. how can I change the heading tag (h2) and other changes in the rewlist? So far, all attempts have failed through the widgets / list / item-with-product.tpl file.

2. How can I change the settings in the review list with pagination, so that after switching to the next page, the page also scrolls up?

@colorful-ant you will need to modify javascript application to accomplish both of these tasks. Read the documentation for developer for more info.

1. changing smarty template files is not enough. The review list is rendered by javascript app, and as soon as the js is loaded, the content on the page is replaced. In fact, it would be enough if the smarty template contained only enclosing <div>- and it would still work. The reason why there are smarty templates at all is to prevent flicking during page load (and of course for SEO benefits)
  2. I've created an enhancement request for this on github

@datakick I don't know if here is the place to ask, so I'm sorry if it is not. I read somewhere that user has lower speed metrics on his page speed analytics because you use SVG for the stars rating. I remember I experimented once with changing some logo images on my test envoirnment from png to SVG (with backup images) and I remember I had issues with caching those SVGs, when testing the site speed. I don't understand anything about coding, but could it be an issue?

New version 1.0.19 has been released. No new features were introduced, only a couple of bug fixes.

• Issue #15 - review date does not use ps settings - reviews were rendered with incorrect date format
  • Issue #36 - All reviews page does not contain canonical tag, resulting in duplicate content
  • Issue #64 - refresh CSRF token - user was not able to submit review when CSRF token expired. This issue fixes this problem by refreshing token. This also fixes issue with various all-page caches.
  • Issue #65 - from now one, every release of revws will have it's own js bootstrap file, to prevent browser cache issues on module update
  • Issue #34 - display singular version of (read #n reviews) string when there's only 1 review

@mockob said in [Free Module]Revws - Product Reviews:

@datakick I don't know if here is the place to ask, so I'm sorry if it is not. I read somewhere that user has lower speed metrics on his page speed analytics because you use SVG for the stars rating. I remember I experimented once with changing some logo images on my test envoirnment from png to SVG (with backup images) and I remember I had issues with caching those SVGs, when testing the site speed. I don't understand anything about coding, but could it be an issue?

I don't think you should worry about this. It's true that various "seo" tools warns about the extra svg markup, that it lowers text-to-code ratio, and other bullsh*t. But that doesn't mean anything, I really believe google does not use such nonsense metrics.

Google's ultimate goal is to find the best possible website for a query. And it is working on behalf of a real person. And people do not care about the page structure. They don't care if you use

tag for a subtitles, or if you use inline svg instead of external image. The do care about loading speed, and content itself. And that's what google measures. Reviews obviously adds some points for content.

Regarding load time - yes, the inline svg makes the html page bigger, so it takes a bit longer to download. But really, how big is the difference? If you have page with 10 reviews, the source code is bigger by 5k. On my 20Mbit connection the download time will be longer by 2 milliseconds.

If I used external image instead of inline svg, I would save these 5k. But, there would need to be extra http request for this external file, and that could (and probably would) take more that 2ms.

Of course, when you are on mobile, the load time difference is much bigger. But I still don't think this needs to be addressed.

The reason why I'm using inline svg is the ability to style the image. You can't really style external images, even external svg images.

There is a solution that relies on javascript - dynamically render svg inside empty placeholders. This way, the page is not significantly bigger, but we still retain styling capabilities. The drawback is that there is a flicker -- page is loaded without the stars, and they are injected a few milliseconds later. But you eye can still register this.

I will probably implement this solution as an alternative, for those who believes in this seo scam. But this task don't have a big priority right now :)

Thanks for the detailed explanation @datakick ! I really prefer SVG instead other conventional images and don't care about those additional 5k. But my preference is because it's sharp and clear on all devices, not as sophiticated as yours :)