thirty bees forum

thirty bees getting better and better: release 1.0.8

Say hello to thirty bees version 1.0.8!

Notes to merchants: - File consistency checks in back office -> Advanced Parameters -> Configuration Information now also report obsolete files. To allow you to keep your installation tidy. - These file consistency checks were extended to cover files in vendor/, for the same reason. - Note: looking up back office -> Advanced Parameters -> Configuration Information after updates or in case of trouble is always a good idea. This pages detects missing and changed core files. - CSV import example files were fixed to match the importer's default settings. - Fixed text direction in back office for RTL languages (Hebrew, Arabic, ...) and other themes than plain Bootstrap when switching language and on installation. - Back office -> Localization -> Currencies learned another currency format, 0.000,00 X, thanks to @idnovate. - Back office -> Advanced Parameters -> E-mail now allows to set an arbitrary subject for emails sent. Default is the formerly enforced text, [{shop_name}] {subject}, thanks to @getdatakick . - Fixed a fundamental flaw in back office message handling. Non-error messages (warnings, confirmations, infos) never got displayed to the user. Expect to see helpful messages in back office which weren't there before. - The upgrade (in case you upgrade from a previous version) heals some deficiencies in migrated shops regarding URL schemas. Shops which started with thirty bees are unaffected. If you're unsure and care about your SEO ranking, please look up https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues/604 for an attempt to explain the situation. - The upgrade also removes back office menu items which existed in PS, but no longer do in thirty bees. - The upgrade adds back office menu items which didn't exist in PS, but are new in thirty bees. The migration module didn't do this so far. - Note: these last three items belong to migrated shops, ones created with thirty bees from the beginning have all this already. - A new back office menu item, Modules and Services -> Modules & Themes Catalog. Still empty, so stay tuned :-) - A total of 189 Github commits since release 1.0.7.

Hundreds of translated strings by @GuzGoose, @yanivmirel, @mauroagr, @Khan27, @dudekk, @GreenMouse, @maybegil, @null-, @elund, @DanCretu, @nincris, @flaz3r, @wbertrums, @Andreaevangelina, @Harri, @Patrick_T, @Pascal Polgen, to Russian, Norwegian, Hebrew, Brazilian Portugese, Azerbaijani, Polish, Spanish, Danish, Romanian, Swedish, Dutch, Argentinian Spanish, Finnish, Italian and German. Thanks to all of you!

Notes to developers: - New class ShopMaintenance, which is for running regular maintenance, like cleaning old logs. - A new hook in class Mail, actionEmailSendBefore. It allows to tweak emails before they get sent. - A new admin controller, AdminCatalogController. Currently empty, plans are to implement a module and theme browsing/finding interface there. - Unit tests now do class load tests for all classes and no longer tolerate warnings. This move uncovered 5 bugs in core classes already. - Unit tests now get validated for completeness of class loading tests.

Known bugs: - Having a product attribute with price impact and also a group price reduction displays a wrong price on the product page. Price in the cart is correct. See https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues/538.

~~So far an installation package, only. Credentials for the upgrade module will follow before too long (it's a bit more work this time, for all the aftermath for migrated shops).~~

Update

Update credentials are on api.thirtybees.com now, module thirty bees Updater should see it and allow to update.

Enjoy!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Module upgrades are independent from core upgrades. You can upgrade them before or after the core upgrade.**

EDIT: at least module thirty bees Updater should get updated before updating core.

It just happens that preparing a core release is also a good point in time to make releases for smaller changes in modules. This is why so many module releases happen shortly before a core release.

** Actually, this time there's an exception, module VAT Number. Latest version of this module requires core release 1.0.8, so it won't upgrade before core was upgraded.

May I ask ,are the steps for this up date the same as 1.0.7 1st post

Today I'll make credentials for the updater module, so it should appear there before too long.

Manual updates are a bit more complex this time, a number of database updates happen. If you want to try anyways, this is the SQL for the database upgrade: https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/blob/1.0.x/install-dev/upgrade/sql/1.0.8.sql ~~You can ignore these comments containing PHP in case you started with thirty bees. They're all for migrated shops, only.~~ Edit: only 90% true. The line adding a back office menu item for AdminAddonsCatalog should be run in shops started with thirty bees as well. And this means running PHP from SQL ... which I don't even know how to do without the updater module ...

Just wait for the update :-)

This is nice but I would like to see more bugs fixed regarding the core modules and some PS issues that were present when cloning the system and also much shorter minor version schedule. That way you will be able to build up fanbase.

Yes, I see your point preparing for the huge undertaking to 1.1 with this work under the hood and potentially start many aspects of TB all over again but woudn't it be easier to firstly build the fanbase so gather modules and themes and then go 1.1 way breaking compatibility?

At the moment PS is making tons of sh*t going SaaS, etc. the potential is there but if we have only 3 working themes for this ecommerce platform I can't imagine many people joining in and bringing money for you in the end.

Just my 2 cents...

This is nice but I would like to see more bugs fixed

Do you indeed? Me as well :-)

Preparation for v1.1.x isn't part of the work, yet. This release focused on two parts:

• Making it harder for new bugs to enter the picture. Fixing a bug is a bit counterproductive, if a sloppy fix introduces two other bugs elsewhere. This opens the door a bit wider for working with inexperienced (voluntary, hired) developers. And there are plans for even more such capabilities, like Travis CI tests for module commits, plausibility tests, even some linting, such stuff. Web development has kind of a tradition of pretty sloppy coding practices, so rigorous testing is IMHO the right answer to this.
  • Making the experience collected by migrating shops available for everybody. The first migration module was certainly awesome work, still a number of issues came up, which get now fixed automatically. Even for those shops migrated earlier. One such issue is e.g. changed defaults for friendly URL schemes, which trashed SEO ranking before, unless the merchant took care of it manually.

That said, all PS 1.6 themes still work with thirty bees. There is no limitation to the three most popular ones. And it'll stay this way as much as technically possible, even with v1.1.x.

@traumflug said in thirty bees getting better and better: release 1.0.8:

This is nice but I would like to see more bugs fixed

Do you indeed? Me as well :-)

Preparation for v1.1.x isn't part of the work, yet. This release focused on two parts:

• Making it harder for new bugs to enter the picture. Fixing a bug is a bit counterproductive, if a sloppy fix introduces two other bugs elsewhere. This opens the door a bit wider for working with inexperienced (voluntary, hired) developers. And there are plans for even more such capabilities, like Travis CI tests for module commits, plausibility tests, even some linting, such stuff. Web development has kind of a tradition of pretty sloppy coding practices, so rigorous testing is IMHO the right answer to this.
  • Making the experience collected by migrating shops available for everybody. The first migration module was certainly awesome work, still a number of issues came up, which get now fixed automatically. Even for those shops migrated earlier. One such issue is e.g. changed defaults for friendly URL schemes, which trashed SEO ranking before, unless the merchant took care of it manually.

That said, all PS 1.6 themes still work with thirty bees. There is no limitation to the three most popular ones. And it'll stay this way as much as technically possible, even with v1.1.x.

At the moment I don't see any stopper bugs for me and I'm quite happy with the work done and use the system on few of mine sites. Just gathering courage to migrate my main site.

I know what you mean for themes and modules but with only few coders supporting their modules on TB and only one theme developer doing so it's very hard to build a large community imho.

If everything else worked and a page reload shows the new version in the upper left corner, one can fix this manually using phpMyAdmin:

1. Go to phpMyAdmin, select the database.
  2. Select SQL and run this query: sql SELECT * FROM `tb_configuration` WHERE `name` = 'TB_MAIL_SUBJECT_TEMPLATE';
  3. If this query returns a line, everything is fine, no further work required.
  4. If it returns nothing, also run this query: sql INSERT INTO `tb_configuration`(`name`, `value`, `date_add`, `date_upd`) SELECT 'TB_MAIL_SUBJECT_TEMPLATE', '[{shop_name}] {subject}', NOW(), NOW();
  5. To check the result, one can run the query in (2) again, it should return one record (if there's more than one, delete the duplicate).