thirty bees forum

Core updater vs thirtybees updater

cprats

Just for clarification:

Which is the difference between the newly released module Core updater and the thirtybees updater? One is in substitution of the other? Should we run both of them, or should we only use core updater from now on?

I've installed it and I've used it. I like it. I've updated files in the same latest TB version and it did some minor changes.

Should we uninstall thirtybees updater, or it will keep some functions not found in core updater?

• Like 1

Currently one can use both. After an update with the old updater, the new one would see everything is fine already and do (almost) nothing. Using the new updater first, the old one would refuse to do anything and just report 'your installation is up to date'.

That said, forthcoming thirty bees releases are planned to get provided by the new updater, only. Less work for thirty bees developers, more reliability for merchants. I don't think anybody will miss the old one.

• Like 1

D'oh. Forgot the question about whether the old updater should get uninstalled.

The answer is No. The old updater is still needed for updating not thirty bees core, but modules. Plan is to move code needed for updating modules back into core, so eventually the module becomes obsolete, but not for the time being.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What is the source of updates via core updater?

Usually i update TB thru git pull, with the 1.0.x branch chosen.

However, after such updates the core updater module says that my shop still need to update some files.

So, the question is - which version is the most recent?

As i see in the git pero, the 'markus' branch is updatedmore frequent, while the '1.0.x' branch seems to be more 'stable'

2 @Traumflug : could you clarify the differences, please?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, Traumflug said:

If "latest version" means v1.0.8, then yes.

And if we opt to update to bleeding edge I noticed that after doing it so once I could not do it again. In other words it seems once you are on the 0.x train file comparisson does not work anymore. At least in my case. I went the normal way from 1.0.7 to 1.0.8 with the Thirtybees updater. Then I used the coreupdater to patch up to bleeding edge (it was git status mid January since I had issues with Warehouse and hoped that they are solved by some commits from Petr). Since then I can not get the latest patches/commits it seems.

I see what you mean.

The secret is, what Core Updater provides as 1.0.x is currently static. While the module its self is complete, there's still a background script missing which translates commits from the development repository (the one on Github) to the Core Updater repository automatically and for every commit. The latter holds release files, e.g. also all the files in vendor/.

This script is forthcoming, of course, but not on the TODO list before the 1.1.0 release.

• Like 1