thirty bees forum

New customers have to add a birthdate?

CoffeeGuy

One way is to hide. The other way is, to remove it from tpl. We had issues with the first solution, as there were some autofill or old customer data problems. Users saw something like "Your Birthday is not valid". But ofc they didn't even see any birthday select. Thats why we removed it completly from the tpl.

• 3 months later...

I just spent three days intalling and getting to know and configuring thirty bees.  Unfortunately, only just now, did I try the 'create an account'.  To my dismay it asked for a birthdate.  "no problem", I thought, "surely, like everything else, there's a way to configure this?  No need to panic."  Imagine my dismay after another wasted 10 minutes searching on google, only to find this thread and one other, that recommends modifying css files or some other file. 

I'm just a guy with a little store.  I don't want the liability of keeping someone's personal identity information in a shopping cart database, and protecting it from hackers, for the sake of sending them a spam email once a year. 

I don't have a team of attorneys.  I'm not AT&T.  I don't need the superfluous liability. 

It's not acceptable to modify css or some other file that will probably get updated back to zero some time in the future without me catching it. 

Also .. it asks to sign up for newsletter and recive special offers from partners.  Also, not wanted, not relevant to my business, not needed.  Should I search google for another 15 minutes, paw around 'modules', or can someone tell me if THOSE can be configured.  Sigh. 

I'm on the verge of looking for another shopping cart, even after three days of work.  I'll probably have to.  When is this issue going to be corrected?

edit ... sorry that this is so much a rant.  but after three days of work, at probably 25% productivity pawing around 'modules', I'm really disappointed with this final apparently unsolvable issue.  Anyone remember the old text based adventure games?  When you solve one problem, and that only opens up another problem?  It takes days to get to the end of the adventure?  That's how this configuration feels like; a never ending series of problems to be solved.  Well ... at least those adventure games had a happy ending.  Oppps.  There I go again.  Sorry. 

Edited by pendulum

@pendulum that's quite a rant, really. The fact that you don't want, or need, these fields doesn't mean others don't need them.

For example, if you were selling alcoholic beverages online, I'm sure you would have to collect DOB information. 

Regarding newsletter subscription - if you don't want to collect newsletter information, well don't collect it. I understand the sentiment behind this, but the truth is that email marketing works. For many stores, it's a major revenue channel. And many merchants depend on it.

I agree that these don't need to be in the core. They should have been implemented by a dedicated modules, for only those merchants that needs them.

But they are already in the core. And thus, it's not easy to remove them. That would mean compatibility breaking change. There are many third party modules that utilize information stored in these fields. If we removed them from the core, we would break these modules. And then there would be a crowd of angry merchants complaining about this *fcking* platform, like you do now.

The good news is, these are not required fields. It's very easy to remove them from the template, it's just a delete in a template.

• Like 2

It seems that people this days are more and more lazy and want served everything and for free.

What newbies need to understand, that platform is free, and if its not totally the way one would want it, it can always be modified by own or paid modifications.

Mostly there are no problems with the shop, only problems are the users wishes and no will to configure/modify to own needs.

Even on paid platforms one can not configure everything, or one might get rid of the footer copyright on paid platform, and that removal costs 150€.

So one have to decide if its time or money that will be spent. Most decide for first option, but there are always some that wont spend time nor money.

Edited by toplakd

backoffice>preferences>customers 
set "newsletter registration", "opt in (to special offers)" and "phone number is mandatory" to "no" (unless maybe you need a phone number for a courier)
backoffice>preferences>custom code>add css
adds css to each page of your site, and your css stays in place if a file is updated.
The link above shows a hack for removing date of birth; I got rid of account creation as well, but the technique is probably similar if you keep it.

Three days is quick to get to know a shopping cart. I worked through several a few years back, and found them all infuriating.
When I look at what my rival shopkeepers have done, they have usually given-up and

• paid so-much-a-month for a hosted locked-down service
  • paid someone to set-up a shopping cart

Either way, there's not much control over the detail, or not if it's cheap.

A problem with the free shopping carts is that nobody makes money selling them! There's sometimes pressure to buy add-on modules for essentials, or unfinished code and un-fixed bugs, and the forum posts are answered by other merchants or maybe coders who sell the odd bit of paid help as well. Ubercart and Jigoshop closed their forums down completely. Maybe that's why merchants go for the safe expensive options at first.
Good luck
John

Edited by veganline
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, veganline said:

(snip)
Three days is quick to get to know a shopping cart. I worked through several a few years back, and found them all infuriating.
When I look at what my rival shopkeepers have done, they have usually given-up and

• paid so-much-a-month for a hosted locked-down service
  • paid someone to set-up a shopping cart

Either way, there's not much control over the detail, or not if it's cheap.

A problem with the free shopping carts is that nobody makes money selling them! There's sometimes pressure to buy add-on modules for essentials, or unfinished code and un-fixed bugs, and the forum posts are answered by other merchants or maybe coders who sell the odd bit of paid help as well. Ubercart and Jigoshop closed their forums down completely. Maybe that's why merchants go for the safe expensive options at first.
Good luck
John

(/snip)

Thanks for putting it in perspective.  I was thinking I had a total fail after 3 days.  Maybe I'll hack the css, as has been demanded.  My worry is that an update would undo my hack.  I'm actually starting to consider a $10 a month hosted service.  My time is worth more than $10 a month. 

2 hours ago, pendulum said:

My worry is that an update would undo my hack.

Yes it would, and for tb developers that's a hard to solve problem. In the PrestaShop days the option seen most often was to simply not update. tb got quite a bit better on this, one can update core software without updating the theme.

Three ways to do it properly until thirty bees found a better way:

- Carefully maintain a log of your changes in order to be able to re-apply them after an update. Having backup files right next to the original is fine.

- Use Git or another version control system to keep that log and apply/unapply it as needed.

- Use back office -> Preferences -> Custom Code. That's a bit harder, because JS and CSS added there gets applied to all shop pages. One has to figure a unique CSS path for that specific item one wants to change. But it's update-safe.