thirty bees forum

Migrate to ERPNext Ecommerce?

Chandra

Migrate to ERPNext Ecommerce?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Explore migrating to ERPNext Ecommerce?

• Yes, let's connect with ERPNext
    • No, it won't fit in

While we explore options on the future of Thirtybees on the Goodbye thread, here is one idea I wanted to explore community interest on.

I use an elegant open source Python based ERP software called ERPNext and wonder if we could leverage ERPNext for the shop functionality. My experience with ERPNext is that they are 'truly open source' and the entire product is free, no paid modules or enterprise editions.

Shopping Cart in ERPNext is integrated to the rest of the ERP. While their cart seems quite basic in comparison, if we have considerable interest from the community here, I should be able to invite key folks from the company to join us to discuss. If we influence the company to build a TB-> ERPNext connector and build any missing features, we may have a nice migration path.

Please leave your comment and vote on the poll too.

https://erpnext.com/

Edit 2: A connector would theoretically migrate the current tb site onto the ecommerce system of erpnext and also allow use of other erp features.

Edited by Chandra
Added link
  • Like 1

When I last time looked at it (maybe two years ago), I concluded that such ERP Systems are oversized for our needs. I decided to modify tb in a way, that it fits us perfect. That's basically what I do on my daily job and it works pretty well. So for my side, there is no (more) an interest in such a connector or whatever 😊

• Like 1

@Chandra some food for thought. When Im presented with new things for me, first thing I do is to gather as much info as possible about new product. So I went straight to their web and few huge no-go popped up instantly:

1. SubPage Pricing. Standard/Pro/Self-hosted. Standard tactic = minimum amount of users while price per user is whats written in larger font, so to get your price, you need to multiply price/user * users count;

2. Self hosted plan. First bullet = Hosting included followed by barely visible question mark with hoover that says "managed hosting on our servers". So, self hosted or hosted by them (and surely paid extra)?

Im more than sure there are many more no-go's, but above are major ones for me.

Honestly, their product may be of outstanding quality, but the above disqualifies it for good in my case. I will not trust company that uses such tricks. Sorry.

Edit: Just looked at thier repo on GitHub and guess what? their software does not even pass build step. Yeah, may happen, Worrisome, but still can happen. But, master branch was last updated (commited to) on 23th of July 2019.

Want more? Here you go: 855 releases. Many, but ok, till you click on it: last release (12.7.1) was made 4 days ago, and - now grace yourself - 885 commits since than (since 4 day) : wow, they must be cyborgs that operate 24/7..... its around 2 commits per second....

Edited by AnnaLisik

30 minutes ago, wakabayashi said:

When I last time looked at it (maybe two years ago), I concluded that such ERP Systems are oversized for our needs. I decided to modify tb in a way, that it fits us perfect. That's basically what I do on my daily job and it works pretty well. So for my side, there is no (more) an interest in such a connector or whatever 😊

Thanks. Would it be worth if their ecommerce runs independently?

42 minutes ago, AnnaLisik said:

@Chandra

...Honestly, their product may be of outstanding quality, but the above disqualifies it for good in my case. I will not trust company that uses such tricks. Sorry.

I honestly don't know what you mean but I can tell you I have run their erp on my own vps for a few years without issue. It is my favorite open source project besides tb.

Why is it that I get the feeling that you are someone's sock again? Just kidding! 😊☺️ 

Edit: I am not much of a techie but 2 commits per second over 4 days should be 691,200 commits per your calculation and not 885?

In any case, i am not sure what you want to prove.

Edited by Chandra
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wakabayashi said:

@Chandra I don't think.

For what purpose exactly, do you guys need an external ERP System?

We run our accounting, finance, hr, ops, projects etc. on it but our kind of business does not let integrating erp stocks to ecommerce, not being proper manufacturing. Hence we had erpnext+presta/tb

1 hour ago, wakabayashi said:

@Chandra I don't think.

For what purpose exactly, do you guys need an external ERP System?

at least it could be one more reason for some people to join thirtybees instead of other ecommerce. So one more possibility for tb not to die

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnnaLisik said:

885 commits since than (since 4 day)

They apparently release from more than one branch. Github doesn't recognize this and counts commits back to the fork point between release branches.

Regarding quality: it's true, they apparently don't care about their testsuite. 90%+ commits broken. thirty bees: 0%, because commits not passing don't even enter the release/main/development branch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chandra said:

I wanted to explore community interest on.

Ideally there were some standardized ERP connection protocol. Better to implement that than a connector for only a specific ERP suite.

Still the idea goes into the right direction. Warehouse handling is a typical task one better outsources to a distinct software, even if it's a software developed by the same project.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Briljander said:

Just wondering, what do you mainly use your erp for? Accounting? Inventory? Orderhandling?

5 hours ago, Chandra said:

We run our accounting, finance, hr, ops, projects etc. on it but our kind of business does not let integrating erp stocks to ecommerce, not being proper manufacturing. Hence we had erpnext+presta/tb

We produce and distribute farm produce whose yields/stocks are very variable.

Hence day to day stocks and orders are in ecommerce, with summary order entries posted to erp.

We use the erp for everything else - accounts, finance, assets, inventory of inputs, hr, ops, projects, tasks etc.

3 hours ago, AnnaLisik said:

Is it even doable in Git

Git has no means to make releases at all.

Github does two things:

- It allows to publish a release along with a release package. Similar to making a blog posting.

- It counts every Git tag as release.

If these two don't match, one gets a mess.

As another example one can take the Teacup Firmware repository. This project never makes releases, still Github lists the single tag in the entire repository as "release": https://github.com/Traumflug/Teacup_Firmware/releases. These .zip and .tar.gz get auto-generated by Github and are unrelated to anything which could get called a release.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used ErpNext for the past two years in my previous gig until a year ago.

While it does have a shop face, I would go as far as saying that it's shop front is not mature and flexible enough for a shopping cat in the same way that a system like Thirtybees is. Customisation is going to a b^&ch. Anyhows. it is excellent as an ERP, with full chart of accounts, sales life cycle and MRP and so on.

It has a fairly flattened database structure, and some complex linkage tables. It is certainly possible to write directly to their database table, but I would not recommend it.

It does have a mature API, with some example projects with PHP, phyton etc. The commended route would be to use the API as a migration tool.

• Like 1