thirty bees forum

19 Patron ?!

vincentdenkspel

@dynambee Yeah, I agree. I hope this project will gain speed and become the greatest e-commerce software so that developers start to build compability modules because they feel that's a good business choice for them too. Cause I think thats what drives people and companies in the end.

OK, but that's a problem for people who don't have a github repo/don't know how to use it. What about having a sub-section of the modules forum "Free modules for download" or letting people upload directly to the main modules forum (with some guidelines on how to name posts to keep a good overview of what's available)?

We aren't going to do a free module forum for downloads, its just not the direction we are going to go. We are actually talking about it right now, because its a good point you brought up. I suggested having a repo like thirty bees community, in there storing things like that.

For the free module forum, we are just going to put free modules in our shop. We are actually hoping to launch the iteration with our free modules this week maybe.

The main thing about having modules for download in the forum is they get lost, not updated, and no one can contribute. This is what we are trying to change. It expands the reach of the software so much.

The main thing about having modules for download in the forum is they get lost, not updated, and no one can contribute.

SO TRUE! I can't count the number of times I've found something that looked potentially interesting on the PS forums only to find that it was posted years ago and the person has long since abandoned the idea.

@30knees said in 19 Patron ?!:

OK, but that's a problem for people who don't have a github repo/don't know how to use it.

Github is freely available for open source projects so anyone can have a repo.

Git itself is not the most friendly of systems but I think anyone who develops in PHP should be able to master the basics. If nothing else, learning how to use Git is very important for any developer in today's world.

@briljander with regards to PS being on shaky ground, unfortunately the future of PS 1.6 I think has already passed even though they're stating support till October 2018. 1.6.1.18 still isn't out and it's been about 3 months since 1.6.1.17 came out on 9th September. Also all versions above 1.6.1.12 have introduced some serious problems with stock management, volume discounts, broken forms, broken swift mail clients and numerous others (I only listed the ones that have direct impact on my stores). PS just don't care anymore about 1.6.

I've got three stores, a 1.6.1.6, 1.6.1.10 and 1.6.1.11 - I'd like to upgrade them all to 1.6.1.12 but I can't as the one-click won't allow me. I've been stuck in limbo for many months hoping TB would be good enough to use. The issue I have with TB is the worry about it's future support and direction; at the moment my stores work but I couldn't honestly say that'd be the case if I went TB. I see all the issues people have on here with payments and emails and those sort of problems would kill my stores, it's just too big a risk to take.

If you take a look at https://trends.builtwith.com/shop/PrestaShop it gives you an idea that a lot of people are jumping ship on PrestaShop. Here's the one for TB https://trends.builtwith.com/shop/thirty-bees. Whilst not being very accurate, they do give you an idea of trends of movement.

TB need to address core issues, funding and roadmap - for all the for/against Patreon or paid subscription the point is that right now the funding isn't there so the full time support isn't there and people are leaving PrestaShop in droves but not to TB - first quarter of next year many PrestaShop merchants will be be evaluating their platforms and looking to switch to something new and I worry TB will miss out on the exodus.

@davidp said:

I see all the issues people have on here with payments and emails and those sort of problems would kill my stores, it’s just too big a risk to take.

I wonder whether the distinction is that these issues get reported here while they exist unreported in PS.

thirty bees' track record of fixing issues in a timely fashion is pretty good, IMHO. Regularly, only a couple of hard to diagnose bugs survive more than a few days. PS' bug tracker is full of issues unresolved for years, so people might have simply given up on discussing them.

@traumflug said in 19 Patron ?!:

thirty bees' track record of fixing issues in a timely fashion is pretty good, IMHO. Regularly, only a couple of hard to diagnose bugs survive more than a few days. PS' bug tracker is full of issues unresolved for years, so people might have simply given up on discussing them.

Small Bugs are fixed fast. But deep bugs in case of multistore or asm aren't. The argument, that very few use it, is understandable, but doesn't help. Especially in asm it's no wonder. You just can't use asm as a normal merchant. I am sure every merchants who test asm for some hours, will stay away.

That's the reason, why I say, that I see no future, if guys like you, Michael and Lesley can't work fulltime on it. The project needs a few people who can rewrite big parts of the software. It takes undoubtly a lot of time to fix asm or to implement a new stock managament. I can't expect it, to be fixed in your freetime...

@wakabayashi I think you took what I said wrongly the other day about the ASM / Multi store. We have few bug reports on the system because not many people use it. That doesn't mean that we don't want to fix it, because we are planning on fixing it. See the difference is with some of the smaller bugs it might takes use 10 minutes to fix something, or maybe an hour. The ASM bugs are really bad in some cases. There some we looked at that are going to take upwards of 20 hours to fix. What we have decided to do is a bug fix version focused around asm / multi shop.

@lesley dont worry, I understood you right. I know, that you want to fix. Actually you wrote, what I meant. In the asm you would have to invest at least a week, to have a decent system. Thats why I really hope Michael and you can work fulltime on it. Otherwise it's very hard to fix this things.

• 1 month later...

Honestly I do not know. We did the elastic module through crowdfunding, but they are an opensource company. Algolia offers a paid solution, so I did approach both the cofounder and one of the other higher ups at Algolia about us making an integration. I was not answered back. I would suggest mailing them and asking them to help fund one.

That module is a mess to be honest. The front end needs to be rewritten in a more stable slower smarty. It is also limited a bit in currencies and multi-shop. It would cost a few thousand to fix the module so it would be ready for wide release. We have the module forked over to our repo privately, we just want Algolia or someone else to pay for it since they will be getting all the gain for it.

I think that many merchants are only testing TB. I’m testing it a little for a future migration (now the shop is on an old virtuemart - a diecast shop) and in 2019 for my wife’s shop (clothing store).

When in production I think I will became a patreon to support this project.

Plus AFAIK with 1.0.4 the patreon’s TB page will be visible from the backend so more merchants will be aware of it.