Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

  • 0
nickon

Custom One Page Checkout

Question

Hi all, 

One thing I always hated about ps/tb is the opc page. I am currently using transformer theme but to change to look like the attached image this took about an hour or so, two classes and some css.  I think it's more functional like this. So if I can do it why didn't @lesley and co apply something similar on tb. Is this by choise?

One thing I would like to make it complete is to have a cart summary before the opc page but I don't know if this can be done. I am going to do some testing on my local machine and upload it to the live site. 

Any comments are welcome 🙂

 

new-opc.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1

If you did not know, Datakick has already done more than the basics on this idea and put it into a module (that is in development).

 

As said, time and therefore money is alway of concern if things are to be developed and maintained. Perhaps TB needs outsourcing 😉 anyway due to my 40 years usenet/Internet experience I can tell you that solving bugs and polishing the 'marketing' form are an endless story. So, we can be honest and expect that freebies are seldom to come. Therefore I repeat may be it is best to start outsourcing. Maybe due to a public write out where the agencies supporting Thirtbees that are gathered on a monthly basis could pick the most wanted projects.

Develop them in their name and sell, support and maintain... -  be part of a great future of an ecomerce platform that simply works, is affordable and greatly sympathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Compatability does not matter at this point. Transformer checkout page is not that different from community at a structural level. @jonny could confirm this. Also I think transformer works OK with tb as far as I know. Just not official. Don't know why 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

in terms of compatibility, I know from personal experience that it does not work 100%, since some things differ such as js files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That's a nice feature suggestion, I've marked it down, the current checkout page is too long, but adjusting the layout may cause visual compatibility problems with some 3rd party modules. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@Jonny It realy shouldn't, all I have done is float the shopping cart to the right with a 33% width and the rest float left with 65% width.  Don't know if my code is optimal but it seems to work. I am also using @Nemo cod with fee module with no issues. 

Regarding compatability, has tranformer issues with tb? I am still on ps but would be nice to know if it works for the future 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The main problem I find with OPC is not the layout (yours does look better) but the fact that the customer still has to add and save an address before seeing the real shipping costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 minutes ago, haylau said:

The main problem I find with OPC is not the layout (yours does look better) but the fact that the customer still has to add and save an address before seeing the real shipping costs. 

You really think ps/tb must calculate shipping costs getting delivery addres by a telepaty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Shipping costs can only be figured in a real narrow set of circumstances without an address. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

For that I'm using geolocation for not registered, among with showing prices with tax for the customers inside European Union and without tax for export area.
But I only have local, EU, woldwide, Canada and Australia as shipping zones.

Edited by toplakd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Well the current checkout page both in ps / tb are not realy "one page" there it is basicly a two page checkout. Even is you ignore the saving of th addresses you are still going to a different page to pay. 

The shipping cost could be calculated dynamically one you put in the address (without saving) and the payment should be done on the same page. 

All of the above are most likely never going to be fixed. So since we have chosen this platform we must work with what we have.

Edited by nickon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I agree to that thirtybees should have a better / modern / functional OPC,  which can be a great benefit for the customer and so even for us  💰   (unfinished orders regarding complicated data input, slow checkout process etc...)

>>>  An good OPC can be a huge unique selling point for a platform like tb  - and a 'must have' for the future.

There are 2 points for this:

-  regulations and laws in most of the countries (EU and worldwide) which force merchants not to save customers data (if this is not absolutely necessary for bookkeeping and honestly i think a onlineshop-platform like tb should not save critical bookkeeping data....)

- customers want a small, fast and smart checkout,  it is not necessary for 90% of them to save data, have a customer account and such things,  time is changing and we can see that most of the customers are buying with guest checkout  (10 years ago this wasn't).  And if it's necessary for them they even can save their data and make an account  (this function is available and this is good),  but their should be much more focus on the 90% guest checkouts.

 

Since a few months i have the idea to check some modern, big players in the onlinemarket (e.g. clothing, furniture, decoration....)  and to 'copy' / reconstruct their OPC for our shop / tb in whole.  There are some great, smooth checkouts out there and we can use them too....

I am not a developer/programmer, so this thing should be done by the tb team.  I dont think this is a module thing, it should be implemented in the core of tb as a standard functionality,  but we can help tb with some money collecting maybe ?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, DaoKakao said:

You really think ps/tb must calculate shipping costs getting delivery addres by a telepaty?

LOL - no, but it would be nice

We can;t use geolocation either because shipping costs in the UK are postcode specific

No, with 5 step checkout the customer can use the Compare carrier module to see shipping costs without having to enter their full address (just country and or postcode)

But we actually use Knowband one page checkout which calcualtes on the fly. So a customer can simply change country or add postcode and it will show shipping costs without needing a full address or saving the address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, DRMasterChief said:

I agree to that thirtybees should have a better / modern / functional OPC,  which can be a great benefit for the customer and so even for us  💰   (unfinished orders regarding complicated data input, slow checkout process etc...)

>>>  An good OPC can be a huge unique selling point for a platform like tb  - and a 'must have' for the future.

There are 2 points for this:

-  regulations and laws in most of the countries (EU and worldwide) which force merchants not to save customers data (if this is not absolutely necessary for bookkeeping and honestly i think a onlineshop-platform like tb should not save critical bookkeeping data....)

- customers want a small, fast and smart checkout,  it is not necessary for 90% of them to save data, have a customer account and such things,  time is changing and we can see that most of the customers are buying with guest checkout  (10 years ago this wasn't).  And if it's necessary for them they even can save their data and make an account  (this function is available and this is good),  but their should be much more focus on the 90% guest checkouts.

 

Since a few months i have the idea to check some modern, big players in the onlinemarket (e.g. clothing, furniture, decoration....)  and to 'copy' / reconstruct their OPC for our shop / tb in whole.  There are some great, smooth checkouts out there and we can use them too....

I am not a developer/programmer, so this thing should be done by the tb team.  I dont think this is a module thing, it should be implemented in the core of tb as a standard functionality,  but we can help tb with some money collecting maybe ?!

 

This is already discussed without any result. The team is small and they barley have time to fix bugs / offer support. I am not that optimistic about this. The team (mainly @lesley) should select 3-4 features that can easily implemented, the community could vote and then maybe crowdfund it. But the features should be realistic and benefit as much as ppl as possible an cheap to develop (elastic is a bad example off this) . A poll in the new forum could also give the team of what merchants are expecting from tb. 

Again my expectations on this are small 😞

Edited by nickon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, nickon said:

The team (mainly @lesley) should select 3-4 features that can easily implemented, the community could vote and then maybe crowdfund it.

If i'm not misstaken this was done several months ago. I think a order management module won the vote. Unfortunately there hasn't been a crowdfunding campaign created for this module

Edited by vincentdenkspel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 minutes ago, vincentdenkspel said:

If i'm not misstaken this was done several months ago. I think a order management module won the vote. Unfortunately there hasn't been a crowdfunding campaign created for this module

I don't remember that. Must have missed it. Roadmap has a task of bringing some translations to 100% and an omnipay module. If the omnipay module brings money to tb OK. But putting tranlations to 100% is simply wrong because this is something the team can not handle inhouse. This is starting to transform into an whole different topic. I'll stop here 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks for the link. I agree with the winner. Small team, big project. Let them do what they think best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I could never imagine to ask TB team to solve shipping-related stuff basically by 2 reasons:

1. It seems in Russia we're pampered with a lot of various services 🙂 - there is a plenty of transportation companies and virtually all of them offer free modules for prestashop 1.6x and 1.7x.

2. As it seems to me, the postal-related stuff could differ from country to country significanly. FYI, in my country there's at least 3 different catalogs of unified streetnames, addresses, et. c, used by different government services (and hence by our post). And what is worse, no one of this catalog could be considered as offcially approved. I wrote this long preamle for simple conclusion: IMO, it is virtually impossible to make an ultimate solution that will fulfill all different countries specifics, so i would rely mostly on my country's local solutions than native TB's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The Problem with such topics is also the manpower. Traumflug is investing a lot of time into the new updater (which will be great). Lesley is doing Marketing stuff and did the new forum as you can see. Datakick helps, where he can (Forum & Bugfixes). There is not much left for now. With this situation you can not work on multiple big topics in my opinion. For now the updater & bugfixes has the priority.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@wakabayashi I said the same thing on an other topic. 🙂 Although this particural layout is very easely applied. Read my other post for a more detailed opinion 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@nickon I know that it's possible to customize a checkout with css & js. I have done it myself in an extensive way. But when we say, that we should improve checkout, everybody has it's own opinon, what is perfect. For example: @DRMasterChief says that 90% of his customers order by guest checkout. On our shop we don't even allow this. 

When you techically look at the checkout, you will see a mess. It's not easy to improve it for now. Thats why: Merchants should do it like you did. Improve their checkout with css and js, so that they have a decent checkout for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Pedalman said:

If you did not know, Datakick has already done more than the basics on this idea and put it into a module (that is in development).

 

As said, time and therefore money is alway of concern if things are to be developed and maintained. Perhaps TB needs outsourcing 😉 anyway due to my 40 years usenet/Internet experience I can tell you that solving bugs and polishing the 'marketing' form are an endless story. So, we can be honest and expect that freebies are seldom to come. Therefore I repeat may be it is best to start outsourcing. Maybe due to a public write out where the agencies supporting Thirtbees that are gathered on a monthly basis could pick the most wanted projects.

Develop them in their name and sell, support and maintain... -  be part of a great future of an ecomerce platform that simply works, is affordable and greatly sympathetic.

Good point about the module form @datakick! I completly forgot about it. Is it still on progress?

To hire a good dev, is more complicated than one might think. Have you ever tried it? I once tried it for the krona module. The result of this is: 3 years later I am a coder myself 😄

That's not the only example. Remember the elasticsearch module, which was crowdfunded? The dev know the system very well and was a talented coder. (Much better than mysel ofc). But who uses the module now in practice? For who is it working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, wakabayashi said:

Remember the elasticsearch module, which was crowdfunded? The dev know the system very well and was a talented coder. (Much better than mysel ofc). But who uses the module now in practice? For who is it working?

TB should IMO not overestimate what ppl are looking for. Simple thing that will help mechants do their jobs easy. The elastic search module is one a the bad examples where it looks better on paper than in reality. Sadly Full Page Cache is also a feature not completly developed as it should. Oh wait... I will stop talking " I am spreading fear"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@nickon yes and thats why I like the approach from Traumflug. He develops a new updater, that allows more stability for the future. He is testing stuff a lot before its released. Shouldn't we all focus mainly on stability? New features or design improvements should be second IMO.

And for checkout: that's the most crucial part. I don't want a dev to rush there something. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...