thirty bees forum

Help me develop killer One Page Checkout module

datakick

7 hours ago, datakick said:

Should the checkout process be really concerned about cross-selling, though?

You can already recommend related products directly on your product page, or on the added-to-cart popup. Isn't it enough?

image.png.ac44e0222cc02175b43cd1b995b97b5e.png 

This is the concern and a bug it appears, @datakick. This add to cart popup is no longer popping up with OPC enabled. If you add a product to the cart, it goes right to OPC and doesn't open the popup. I tried on your store as well since I can see you are running the latest versions and I get the same behavior.

4 hours ago, datakick said:

This will be caused by some CSS in your theme, they probably interfere with the module layout. It looks fine on my theme:

screen.jpg.29e9edbcbd585611e1135cead875f397.jpg

I am actually not the right person to judge this, since I don't have this module installed. Still I could imagine that there is a problem with this layout. Have you tried to change "UPS" to something longer? Like the User above has something like "UPS class/priority".

25 minutes ago, wakabayashi said:

I am actually not the right person to judge this, since I don't have this module installed. Still I could imagine that there is a problem with this layout. Have you tried to change "UPS" to something longer? Like the User above has something like "UPS class/priority".

I just double checked. I have no custom CSS running. It's v1.1 bleeding edge running with Niara theme. I believe it's just an issue where the module css can't handle the image size that OOB TB allows, along with the two text columns correctly.

10 hours ago, datakick said:

Should the checkout process be really concerned about cross-selling, though?

You can already recommend related products directly on your product page, or on the added-to-cart popup. Isn't it enough?

image.png.ac44e0222cc02175b43cd1b995b97b5e.png 

You said the right words: it could be enough, but in terms of Conversion Rate Optimization, is in the checkout process when people are more ready to increase the average amount of the cart. This are marketing and optimization questions, directly connected with the development of the website. Think that the Checkout is the last step off the funnel in sales, so is the moment we (as sellers) can play with promos, related products, limited offers... I think they are talking about this.

Hi @datakick,

Giving this module a test, but it throws an error during install:

[PrestaShop] Fatal error in module file :"address"/Tar.php: Cannot use result of built-in function in write context.

Do you know what's causing this by any chance? I'm running TB 1.0.7, PHP 7.2, default PS 1.6 theme

Edit:

Might be something with our store. Hang on 😃

All the best

Edited by Norwegian_Rat

4 hours ago, x97wehner said:

@datakick Is there any way to sort carriers other ways? I offer a free one for local customers, but don't wish to see it at the top of the list as it doesn't apply to most shoppers. I can sort the normal checkout by position, this one only seems to sort by price.

No, it's not possible at the moment. It's in the pipeline, though. Together with option to change texts, logo, and generate dynamic delivery time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, datakick said:

No, it's not possible at the moment. It's in the pipeline, though. Together with option to change texts, logo, and generate dynamic delivery time

Sound great. So, when do you think we might see some of these changes/improvements? I think it's important that modules offer options and a degree of flexibility since most merchants will have different/special needs.

1 hour ago, Mike1 said:

Sound great. So, when do you think we might see some of these changes/improvements? I think it's important that modules offer options and a degree of flexibility since most merchants will have different/special needs.

I'm not sure, but it will probably take few weeks before I get to that.  

I am going to run my shop now with CHEX and am very excited about how things go.

At the moment I am only missing an option to set the CHEX UI apart from the then "background" front-end of the shop. In our case we would certainly benefit if the normal front-end of our shop would get an opaque layer since it does visually distract the customer from the CHEX UI and its forms. For example if you scroll down a bit in CHEX on a PC you will see the footer area of the front-end and it distracts...

Found a bug today. I'm on 1.1.x bleeding edge. Chex is adding tax in the cart product price display when it is set to not within thirty bees. I can switch back to the regular TB checkout and product for $105.99 displays as such within the checkout totals and an order total of $122.94 displays correctly after tax is applied. If Chex is enabled, then the product price is incorrectly adjusted to $112.35 in the display with the total showing correctly as $122.94.

TB settings are correct as evidenced by the display in out of the box checkout. It seems Chex has something transposed or is not considering tax settings correctly for the customer group @datakick

2 hours ago, datakick said:

@x97wehner I'm on a vacation right now. I'll look into the issue in 2 weeks. Meanwhile, it would be helpful if you could describe your settings in more details

Sure, @datakick. I've actually found another bug as well. First, below you will find my settings and the behavior that is incorrect. Below that is the second bug.

Original bug settings:

Localization >> Taxes >> Enable Tax = Yes; Display tax in shopping cart = Yes

Customers >> Groups >> Price display method = Tax excluded

Result in standard TB one page checkout: Product price = $109.99, Tax = $6.60, Order total = $116.59. (This is how it should work)

Result with Chex: Product price = $116.59, Tax = $6.60, Order total = $116.59. (Product price is displayed incorrectly based on TB settings)

Details on the possible second newly discovered bug:

Where there are more than one different products in the cart, intermittently you cannot delete the top listed product from the cart from the checkout page. Sometimes I can delete and sometimes not. I cannot figure out if it's a module issue or a caching issue with TB.

When there are more than one different products in the cart, clicking edit, then the x to delete within the cart box, does not delete the top listed product as it should. The function works fine on any other listed product. It also works correctly if there is just one listed product in the cart.

Other notes: I'm using warehouse as a theme. Also, when removing all products from the cart via the chex checkout page, the frame reloads, but the header does not. This results in the hover action of the cart icon in the header still showing products, when they have been correctly removed from the cart via the module. See shot below. A manual refresh of the browser window reloads everything correctly again.

image.thumb.png.b69bf520e8f2a5cea18787b55b473ba7.png

Edited by x97wehner

• 2 weeks later...

Cart Rules not working in the module. We set a cart rule, when a customer buy for 50,00 from a specific catagory they get free shipment from a selected carrier in the cart rule. In the 5-step check out everything went fine (step 4 carrier is set to free), in the OPC module cart rule has no effect on the carrier price.

Screenshot_2019-10-06 DrankExpert.jpg

On 10/6/2019 at 2:29 AM, Kleijn36 said:

Cart Rules not working in the module. We set a cart rule, when a customer buy for 50,00 from a specific catagory they get free shipment from a selected carrier in the cart rule. In the 5-step check out everything went fine (step 4 carrier is set to free), in the OPC module cart rule has no effect on the carrier price.

Hard to tell what's wrong. Can you please share the cart rule settings, so I can try to reproduce it on my localhost?

I'm setting up a site with the @Jonny's Panda theme and your (@datakick) fantastic Chex one page checkout module. Overall things are working well but I have noticed a few issues. They may be specifically related to my site or they may be more general.

1. On a small screen iOS 13.1 device (iPhone 7 Plus in this case) when clicking on the `Shipping to` dropdown to choose the country, the browser zooms in to the list to make it easier to read. This isn't necessarily a big issue but after selecting a country the browser does not zoom back out, leaving an off-center view where the checkout isn't properly visible. The user can manually zoom back out, but it's not a great UX situation.

Ideally on an iOS device it would be great if the country list is presented in the standard iOS way, scrolling list that appears at the bottom of the screen. Many websites do this but I have absolutely no idea how easy or difficult this is to do. I'm also not sure how Android usually handles these types of lists.

Example:

image.thumb.png.f7517ead8c5e1db7886efe5968351147.png

2. I have a module that use an override for `getDeliveryOptionList`. This module limits shipping carrier availability based on the value of the items in the cart, and I think this is somehow causing a conflict with Chex. The problem is that when I choose a new country from the drop-down list the carriers for the previously selected country are shown. This means that for the first change of country the carriers don't change at all, and then for each subsequent change of country the previously shown country's carriers are displayed. Everything about the displayed carriers is correct, they just aren't for the right country.

3. The thumbnail for each product in the cart is not being displayed. Instead the standard TB camera icon is shown. I suspect this is because Panda doesn't generate the same thumbnails as Niara so the expected thumbnail is not there. Perhaps allow the user to select which thumbnail type will be used for these images?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been up all night working on the site so it's time to get a little sleep but I'll be back online as soon as I awake and can answer questions as needed.

Really liking the module, as I test I have come across a few things that I think would make it even better:

• Please allow the website owner to decide (backoffice setting) if inactive countries are shown in the drop-down list of countries. I suppose I could just delete the countries that we don't currently use but I would really sooner leave them inactive and not have them show up during checkout. (Just because we don't ship somewhere today doesn't necessarily mean we won't ship there in the future.)

• Please allow the user to decide if State selection is offered in the Shipping & Payment section. For people who ship to domestic addresses the state is often necessary to decide shipping costs but when shipping from overseas there is often no difference in shipping cost to different states. Allowing the website owner to enable or disable this in the back office would be great.

• Would it be possible to allow the user to customize the message shown when no carrier is available? For many countries we have weight and price limits for shipping so just telling users that "We don't offer shipping to this location" isn't accurate. We do offer shipping, just not for the value and/or weight of the items in the cart. If we could include a link to a CMS page or blog post explaining this in more detail that would be even better.

Those are my ideas for now, I'd really love to see them integrated into the module!

7 hours ago, dynambee said:

1. On a small screen iOS 13.1 device (iPhone 7 Plus in this case) when clicking on the `Shipping to` dropdown to choose the country, the browser zooms in to the list to make it easier to read. This isn't necessarily a big issue but after selecting a country the browser does not zoom back out, leaving an off-center view where the checkout isn't properly visible. The user can manually zoom back out, but it's not a great UX situation.

This is not governed by chex module. I can refer you to this article about mobile zoom 

2. I have a module that use an override for `getDeliveryOptionList`. This module limits shipping carrier availability based on the value of the items in the cart, and I think this is somehow causing a conflict with Chex. The problem is that when I choose a new country from the drop-down list the carriers for the previously selected country are shown. This means that for the first change of country the carriers don't change at all, and then for each subsequent change of country the previously shown country's carriers are displayed. Everything about the displayed carriers is correct, they just aren't for the right country.

Could you send me this module so I could investigate?

3. The thumbnail for each product in the cart is not being displayed. Instead the standard TB camera icon is shown. I suspect this is because Panda doesn't generate the same thumbnails as Niara so the expected thumbnail is not there. Perhaps allow the user to select which thumbnail type will be used for these images?

module uses cart image type. This is quite standard, but maybe your theme doesn't have it. You can create it manually in your back office. Or you can modify chex/classes/manager.php file and change the image type to something your theme provide.

Anyway, your suggestion to allow user to select image type is a good one. I will probably implement it differently, though -- because the layout expects specific image dimensions, I can go through all image types in the system and choose the best one automatically.

Please allow the website owner to decide (backoffice setting) if inactive countries are shown in the drop-down list of countries. I suppose I could just delete the countries that we don't currently use but I would really sooner leave them inactive and not have them show up during checkout. (Just because we don't ship somewhere today doesn't necessarily mean we won't ship there in the future.)

Good idea, I've added this to the backlog

Please allow the user to decide if State selection is offered in the Shipping & Payment section. For people who ship to domestic addresses the state is often necessary to decide shipping costs but when shipping from overseas there is often no difference in shipping cost to different states. Allowing the website owner to enable or disable this in the back office would be great.

I'll think about this. It might be possible, but maybe not. I'm sure there are some dependencies on states in the chex code

Would it be possible to allow the user to customize the message shown when no carrier is available? For many countries we have weight and price limits for shipping so just telling users that "We don't offer shipping to this location" isn't accurate. We do offer shipping, just not for the value and/or weight of the items in the cart. If we could include a link to a CMS page or blog post explaining this in more detail that would be even better.

You can use standard translation tool to change displayed text.

I guess it would be nice feature to automatically detect the reason why no carriers are shown (there can be many) and display different message for every reason.

I have actually thought about this functionality for a long time now, just not in the context of chex module. Merchants often struggle to figure out why some carriers aren't display in checkout, so I thought some 'explain it to me' module would be beneficial to the community. 

• Like 1

This is not governed by chex module. I can refer you to this article about mobile zoom 

So the chex module can't opt to use the smartphone OS's own scrolling system for selecting from drop-down lists? That is something that needs to be added by TB itself? @lesley, any thoughts on adding this ability to TB or is it something that has to be done on the theme level?

module uses cart image type. This is quite standard, but maybe your theme doesn't have it. You can create it manually in your back office. Or you can modify chex/classes/manager.php file and change the image type to something your theme provide.

Thanks, I'll look into seeing why Panda doesn't provide this image type, or if I can extend Panda to provide this image type. If not then I'll modify chex to use a different image type.

Good idea, I've added this to the backlog

Thank you! 🙂

I'll think about this. It might be possible, but maybe not. I'm sure there are some dependencies on states in the chex code

The States list & selection is presented now for countries that have states set up and enabled. The US, Canada, Australia, and a few others. For other countries, even if they have states/provinces/etc no State option is there. Maybe it's not possible to ignore states for countries that have them enabled, but if it is it would be helpful for a lot of people.

You can use standard translation tool to change displayed text.

Thanks, I'll look into this. 

Could you send me this module so I could investigate?

Sorry, forgot to include this. Actually I just disabled both the custom shipping modules I have and even after disabling them the same country selection / shipping carrier issue persists. I'm just running out the door right now but when I get back later I will do a full site backup and then change back to the Niara theme and see if the problem persists. It might be a compatibility issue with the Panda theme, or it might be something to do with the way I have carriers set up. Once I know more I'll add another reply here.

36 minutes ago, x97wehner said:

@datakick small request to go with the tax calculation bug mentioned previously. The support link to the blog within your module doesn't point here anymore. May want to update.

Thanks. I assumed that new forum redirect original links to the new url schema. Obviously that's not the case...

@lesley you might want to implement home .htaccess rule for this, as this means loss of existing links

• Like 1