thirty bees forum

thirty bees 1.1.1 - pre-release bug hunt

Hello everyone,

it's been a while since the release 1.1.0, and it's time for another one. Version 1.1.1 should be released by the end of November.

This new version is all about code quality -- there aren't many new enhancement or dazzling features. Instead, a lot of bugs and errors were fixed. For more information about this release, you can read here

Right now, I would like to ask you all for cooperation with pre-release testing and bug huntint.

If you can, please use core updater to forward your store to latest bleeding edge 1.1.x, and test your store properly. If you find any bug, please report it to github. If the bug is an newly introduced problem, or if it's a seriousone, we'll try to fix it before the official release. Other bugs will be tracked and fixed in the next version(s).

Thanks in advance for helping this project!

• Like 3

Hello

On the latest update on  1.1.X branch

When wepb + cdn are enabled

webp static ressource are on cdn and works great

jpg are redirect with 302 on homepage??
example:

curl -i https://cdn1.dev.cantal.tech/20305-futurheli-2019_thickbox_default/kyosho-dameuse-blizzard-fr-couleur-2015-radio.webp
HTTP/2 200
server: nginx/1.14.0 (Ubuntu)
date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 09:57:58 GMT
content-length: 41274
last-modified: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 23:01:08 GMT
expires: Thu, 31 Dec 2037 23:55:55 GMT
cache-control: max-age=315360000
x-cache-status: MISS
cache-control: must-revalidate, proxy-revalidate
access-control-allow-origin: https://futurheli.dev.cantal.tech

curl -i https://cdn1.dev.cantal.tech/20305-futurheli-2019_thickbox_default/kyosho-dameuse-blizzard-fr-couleur-2015-radio.jpg
HTTP/2 301
server: nginx/1.14.0 (Ubuntu)
date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 09:58:07 GMT
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
content-length: 0
expires: Thu, 31 Dec 2037 23:55:55 GMT
cache-control: max-age=315360000
x-cache-status: MISS
cache-control: must-revalidate, proxy-revalidate
access-control-allow-origin: https://futurheli.dev.cantal.tech

When  CDN Disable workfine (jpg are correcly served)

When Url rewrite Disable work fine too

PS: I use a reverse ngins proxy but backend is a classic apache2.4 server.  for me it's a rewrite apache2 directive who are not correctly updated

Edited by Pierrox15
more info

• backoffice logout on each save
  • happens when running two sites on similar urls like .../test1 & .../test2
  • bo>administration>preferences>check the cookie's IP address>no solves it
  • Firefox is able to do this before being logged-off; Chrome often can't
Edited by veganline

Installing on the free byethost / softulicious installer, the program will not fit onto the server, but Prestashop did last time I tried. Thirtybees gets to 95% before this error message

The following errors were found :

• Could not make the query numbered : 365
    MySQL Error No : 1071
    MySQL Error : Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

As an enhancement, it would be good if this error message explained more why the program cannot fit on the free server, rather than looking as though there is a mistake in the program. I guess that a lot of people around the world, like students, first see thirtybees in this way, so that's why I think it would be an enhancement to consider the error message.  Or allowing the program to install in a way that says "The server is too small".

Edited by veganline

There is one mistake. But I'm not sure what You think of this. There can be combinations. And You can give reference for each combination. If You search (Catalog>Products) by reference then You see only reference for "primary" product. You can't find combinations when searching by reference. And this is really annoying. This was also in PS1.6 and I think there are few user who are using combinations and this can be reason why this is still exist.

49 minutes ago, led24ee said:

There is one mistake. But I'm not sure what You think of this. There can be combinations. And You can give reference for each combination. If You search (Catalog>Products) by reference then You see only reference for "primary" product. You can't find combinations when searching by reference. And this is really annoying. This was also in PS1.6 and I think there are few user who are using combinations and this can be reason why this is still exist.

Definitely not an 1.1.1 injections. Let's track this as an enhancement request: https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues/1118.

On 11/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, veganline said:

Installing on the free byethost / softulicious installer, the program will not fit onto the server, but Prestashop did last time I tried. Thirtybees gets to 95% before this error message

The following errors were found :

• Could not make the query numbered : 365
    MySQL Error No : 1071
    MySQL Error : Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

As an enhancement, it would be good if this error message explained more why the program cannot fit on the free server, rather than looking as though there is a mistake in the program. I guess that a lot of people around the world, like students, first see thirtybees in this way, so that's why I think it would be an enhancement to consider the error message.  Or allowing the program to install in a way that says "The server is too small".

It's hard to do so. Thirtybees do installation check to verify environment requirements, but it can't test for everything. In this case, hosting provider severely crippled mysql functionality by setting max allowed index size. Thirtybees can't run properly in such environment. 

Here's a bug: there was a mail alert module update yesterday.  I am importing 1450 products today, which have no quantities yet.  I am getting an email for every single product, warning me that there is no stock.  The old mail alert module did not do that before during imports...

Now excuse me while I go attempt to clean up my inbox...

😞

I am still on the bleeding edge of a few weeks ago. 

One serious bug that I encounter - but haven't pinned down enough to make an error report is that I regularly see "out-of-stock" messages during the checkout. This despite the fact that this is a shop without stock keeping. What makes it complicated is that this happens only with a minority of the products with a sub-zero stock.

As I haven't heard of this problem being addressed I thought it should be mentioned here.

Today I had a talk with a customer. The verdict of our TB 1.1 Bleeding Edge with Panda was rather negative:

- persistent problems with the MyParcel carrier module that sometimes doesn't transfer the right address data to its fields. The MyParcel module - still maintained by Michael Dekker - officially is only supported up to TB 1.04.

- regular complaints of customers who cannot complete their orders. As I am several steps away from the process I still don't know the exact problem. But I suspect that the out-of-stock problem I mentioned in my previous comment in this thread plays a role in at least some of them.

- problems with the Panda layout - specially with mobile. Still not sure whether my own legacy code plays a role.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I see a replay of the adoption of Prestashop 1.7 with Thirty Bees. With Thirty Bees too all kinds of changes are made to "modernize" the code. And it looks like that in TB too that leads almost inevitably to bugs.

The way things go at Thirty Bees is not the way I had hoped the project would work. All kinds of changes are made in the code without communication. Even the introduction of a new version is not accompanied by some statement what has been changed. I miss any kind of plan or vision - even for the short term. 

I have always believed that Thirty Bees should stay close to the PS 1.6 standards for a very long time. I even believe that Thirty Bees should make tools available that enhance PS 1.6. Its survival is in its interest. Unfortunately I get the impression that the TB team is rather eager to give up compatibility with Prestashop. I found it frightening to see that SunnyToo felt compelled to bring out a new "TB 1.1 compatible" version of Panda. What does that mean for the compatibility of Prestashop themes?

I haven't yet given up on TB. But if I can't get my problems fixed I may be forced to do so. 

Edited by musicmaster
  • Thanks 1

Here is what we fight against. Fixing one bug in say shipping, that breaks a module that exploited that bug. When we decided to upgrade smarty so that we could be compatible with php 7.3, that broke some themes where the shipping exploited a bug. There was no way around that and also upgrading the smarty version. 

We try to maintain compatibility while moving forward. If we stopped supporting new php versions people would not be able to use thirty bees on many hosts. 

Its a tough position for us, but we have to move the software ahead. The easiest way I see to get at least two of your problems fixed is to reach out to the people that made the module and the theme. Ask them to update their software to support the latest versions. I feel @Jonny will likely update his. myparcel, I am not sure

For your checkout issues, if it were me, and what I do constantly, is install something like smartlook on the site. That way I can see exactly what people are doing when the order fails so I can diagnose it. It makes repolicating the problem 1000% easier. 

You are not seeing the same thing that happened with 1.7 and you know it. If you look at most module and theme developers they release new versions when a new version of the underlying software comes out. We are not breaking things on purpose and telling people tough luck, we are fixing bugs. If a plugin or a module relied on that bug, that was bad practice. We can't bloat the software to leave bugs in it and try to detect when we think someone is relying on a bug. 

Thanks @musicmaster for your reports. But to be frank, I don't really believe these have much to do with 1.1.x 

7 hours ago, musicmaster said:

Today I had a talk with a customer. The verdict of our TB 1.1 Bleeding Edge with Panda was rather negative:

- persistent problems with the MyParcel carrier module that sometimes doesn't transfer the right address data to its fields. The MyParcel module - still maintained by Michael Dekker - officially is only supported up to TB 1.04.

did this module actually ever worked correctly? In my experience, when you ask customers to evaluate some feature / new version, they tend to bring up persistent issues... because they want them fixed, and they frustrate them. I believe this is on of this case. If not, please let us know what exactly does not work in 1.1.x, but work in 1.1.0

- regular complaints of customers who cannot complete their orders. As I am several steps away from the process I still don't know the exact problem. But I suspect that the out-of-stock problem I mentioned in my previous comment in this thread plays a role in at least some of them.

Very vague. Usually when customer can't complete the order, the problem is not technical (bug in code), but it's usually misconfiguration. Disabled country, bad carrier zone definition, carrier-payment association missing,... You know what I'm talking about.

If there indeed was some bug in 1.1.x that prevents completing order it would be a showstopper, of course. I personally haven't encountered it - and I'm running my own store on 1.1.x, and already migrated few of my customers to bleeding edge as well.

So excuse me, but I'll disregard this report as well, at least until you or somebody else can provide some reprosteps / context when this happens.

- problems with the Panda layout - specially with mobile. Still not sure whether my own legacy code plays a role.

Layout, really? Very unlikely 1.1.x broke theme layout. Core has no way to impact how theme outputs its content.

When there are theme-related compatibility issues, they are always caused by controllers providing wrong / different datasets to view layer. But these problems does not change layout, etc... they result in incorrect data being displayed.

And again I need to ask - is this new issue in 1.1.x? If you rollback to 1.1.0, does the theme displays the layout correctly? I really don't think so 

Sometimes I get the feeling that I see a replay of the adoption of Prestashop 1.7 with Thirty Bees. With Thirty Bees too all kinds of changes are made to "modernize" the code. And it looks like that in TB too that leads almost inevitably to bugs.

The way things go at Thirty Bees is not the way I had hoped the project would work. All kinds of changes are made in the code without communication. Even the introduction of a new version is not accompanied by some statement what has been changed. I miss any kind of plan or vision - even for the short term. 

At the moment, tb does not have any long-term plan regarding new features - no new feature development are really on the planning board.

Current efforts are aimed to stabilize the system. That means mostly bug fixing. Problem is that when we fix a bug, very often somebody claims it's a compatibility issue (you too, by the way). That's because some module / theme / modification worked around this bug. It expects the bug to exists, and when it's fixed, the module stops working.

Now, tell me, should we really resign on bug fixing, because what if some solution depended on it? If you really think so, then let's close this project. Because it will die anyway in a slow and painful death. 

I have always believed that Thirty Bees should stay close to the PS 1.6 standards for a very long time.

What standards did we broke? 

I found it frightening to see that SunnyToo felt compelled to bring out a new "TB 1.1 compatible" version of Panda. What does that mean for the compatibility of Prestashop themes?

We know that there there is a compatibility issue on 1.1.0 regarding themes. This is actually talked about in the other thread, and is already (somewhat) fixed.

Now, you might consider it frightening that the 1.1 compatible theme was released. I look at it a little differently - as an acknowledgement of the existing issues in the theme by its author. It's a regular fix.

Of course, I don't expect *all* theme developers to do that. Hence the effort to increase the theme backwards-compatibility again, see code in issue-1104 branch.

I haven't yet given up on TB. But if I can't get my problems fixed I may be forced to do so. 

I haven't as well. But posts like this really take its toll

• Like 1