thirty bees forum

What is in the progress?

unica e-shop

Yeah, I also think you should try and at least make a blog post every month to keep us updated. Doesn't need to be any new releases. I am here at the forum almost every day and also check into GitHub pulse now and then but still am unsure what is really happening and had missed this post here in the forums.

Edited by Briljander

The quality of the blog posts has to be excellent or it reflects poorly on the project. With this in mind it takes hours to write them, edit them, proof them, and finally get them online. With the limited human resources of the project right now (and the project not being profitable yet) it would seem to me that those hours could be better spent doing other work.

23 hours ago, Briljander said:

still am unsure what is really happening and had missed this post here in the forums.

To get an idea of what I'm currently wrestling with, see this issue:

https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues/966

Which means, just swapping the default theme for another theme is not a process of hours, but more like a process of weeks. The data initially installed is all handcrafted, so one has to install over and over again and adjust this initial SQL and XML until the shop comes out the way it needs to be. Incredibly fragile.

Did you know that community-theme-default comes out different when installed initially compared to the same theme being installed on an already running shop? This distinction needs to get minimized, ideally to zero.

• Like 1

So for us non techie types wondering how and when we should upgrade. I checked our BO and see three modules. I "think" thirty bees updater v 1.4.1 is the original updater. Git based and Core updater (are they actually the same??)

image.png.6b811a868ab64ad4bfa51b7b215e73f7.png 

Are we now supposed to use Core Updater V1.01 and choose the bleeding edge option

image.png.4033d3ac43775fc9b0ff34b43fc90628.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 7:38 PM, dynambee said:

The quality of the blog posts has to be excellent or it reflects poorly on the project. With this in mind it takes hours to write them, edit them, proof them, and finally get them online. With the limited human resources of the project right now (and the project not being profitable yet) it would seem to me that those hours could be better spent doing other work.

Well, if a blog post needs to be excellent (which I don't agree about) drop a note here in the forums like Traumflug did, it's enough for me to see what's going on. But I think not as many people will se it here as a blog post. 

• Like 1

I have been nurturing different partnership deals more in the last few months and trying to grow the project behind the scenes. I know its not as visible as what @Traumflug and what @datakick have been doing, they have been holding things up awesomely on the visual front. 

I will put out a blog post this week letting everyone know what we are up to. What is going one, and what new features / advancements to expect in the future. I have talked with a different shop owners over the last several months and we are wanting to bring things into thirty bees that other platforms do not have. These things take time and consideration. 

To give a hint about what is to come think of this. When you create a new product, it just adds to you site like a normal product. It could be the main product your site is designed about, but the page looks the same as any other product on you site. Why? Why do we not have different templates for different types of products? We (and most of our competitors) just have one product page template. Why not have several to choose from? This is something we have almost finished to bring to the 1.1.x branch. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, lesley said:

When you create a new product, it just adds to you site like a normal product. It could be the main product your site is designed about, but the page looks the same as any other product on you site. Why? Why do we not have different templates for different types of products? We (and most of our competitors) just have one product page template. Why not have several to choose from?

Something I would personally find extremely useful would be the ability to display multiple products on one page. This could be used for selling spare parts for a machine, for example. All the parts for one machine listed on one page with a price & "Add to Cart" button beside each one.

It would also be very useful to be able to associate products to other products. Continuing the example from above, it would be very good to be able to associate all the spare parts for a given machine to the machine's own listing. From a different angle it would be great to be able to associate common or compatible accessories with a product. Customers are more likely to buy things together that way, or at least be aware of the options they might have. Spare batteries, cases, straps, etc, etc.

Another thing that I have noticed is that when a product has variations (different sizes, different colors, etc) there is no way to set different physical weights or dimensions for the variations. Only the parent product has dimensions and weight set. Sometimes variations can be quite different in size & weight and not being able to set them individually makes the variation system a lot less useful.

Just some random thoughts.

• Like 1

I am going to be honest, there is no good way to display multiple products on the same page. There is however a hidden system for displaying parts on an image map, so people can mouse over a schematic and click on a part. We still haven't figured out how to handle that though.

For the attributes, I fee that problem daily as well. Unfortunately changing that would break just about every module. If we shoehorned something in, it would be for lack of a better word stupid. It would maybe work, but it would not be stored in the right spots and would cause a ton of problems later on. 

• Thanks 2

Dear @lesley, @Traumflug and all other who has participated in making TB, we really appreciate your great work, and thank you for all you effort to make this project great. I am personally very happy with TB, and who ever would ask me about where they should build there webshop, i would always recommend them to use TB.

So i hope none of you see this post as critic or any negative post.

The reason why i think it is important that there are some news, updates, every 2-3 months is that

- TB is still in it is starting phase, and if there isn't any updates people will get some negative thoughts.

- I am very sure that a lot of module developer and companies who develop web shops does visit TB now and then, and if they don't see any updates they may not focus on TB.

So if you just some time post a post in the announcement section every 2-3 months it would be sufficient, and it is not important that there should be new features etc. just something like how many members we are, just so we and those who intend to make modules for TB know that something is going on.

Thank you again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, haylau said:

So for us non techie types wondering how and when we should upgrade. I checked our BO and see three modules. I "think" thirty bees updater v 1.4.1 is the original updater. Git based and Core updater (are they actually the same??)

image.png.6b811a868ab64ad4bfa51b7b215e73f7.png

Git Based Updater is abandoned / was renamed to Core Updater. It can get removed safely.

thirty bees Updater allows to update to 1.0.8, only. It's still needed for updating modules, though. Eventually module updating code will get moved back into thirty bees core, which will make this module obsolete.

Core Updater is the name of the Game. There one can update to Bleeding Edge and before too long, to 1.1.0.

1 minute ago, Traumflug said:

Core Updater is the name of the Game. There one can update to Bleeding Edge and before too long, to 1.1.0.

Thanks - So bleeding edge is safe to update to on working stores? Just thet "bleeding edge" sounds right on the limit as though it may still be dodgy. But you are saying no problem, bleeding edge is safe?

True, the term "Bleeding Edge" is a bit misleading right now. It's no Alpha either, because there are virtually no new features, just many many bug fixes. Actually it's currently more stable than "Stable".

I hope we can return to a more expected system before too long. Like making a Stable release from Bleeding Edge about once every month. This is, of course, more work. Once there, making a Stable release will be a matter of only few hours, so it'll happen more often.

• Like 1

Having multiple products on a page is not really rocket science. See here for an example: 

https://www.topsnoep.nl/relatiegeschenken/2863-notenmand-zelf-samengesteld.html

But there are many different scenarios where this would be welcome. Some are enhanced category pages - where people can enter quantities or select attributes. Others are enhanced product pages - where you can immediately order associated products. Yet others aim to be an alternative to the combination system, where some options are offered as separate products rather than attributes. 

There is also the question of presentation. In some cases you want the cluster to appear in the cart as one product that you can delete, change quantity or change composition. In other cases you prefer to see each product separate in the cart. In some cases you want one buy button for the cluster. In other cases one button for each product.

Also related is the option to have "free" buy buttons that you can place on cms pages and pages that are not part of the webshop.

It is this complexity that makes it hard to formulate a solution. And given the needed reconstruction it is best to make one big step instead of many small ones.

You can set weights for combinations - but not lengths/widths.

Edited by musicmaster
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lesley said:

I have been nurturing different partnership deals more in the last few months and trying to grow the project behind the scenes. I know its not as visible as what @Traumflug and what @datakick have been doing, they have been holding things up awesomely on the visual front. 

I will put out a blog post this week letting everyone know what we are up to. What is going one, and what new features / advancements to expect in the future. I have talked with a different shop owners over the last several months and we are wanting to bring things into thirty bees that other platforms do not have. These things take time and consideration. 

To give a hint about what is to come think of this. When you create a new product, it just adds to you site like a normal product. It could be the main product your site is designed about, but the page looks the same as any other product on you site. Why? Why do we not have different templates for different types of products? We (and most of our competitors) just have one product page template. Why not have several to choose from? This is something we have almost finished to bring to the 1.1.x branch. 

Love this. A modernized full-width product page template is exactly one thing I've been wanting. Similar to what Harry's uses. See here https://www.harrys.com/en/us/products/the-winston-set

It would set TB out of the box, above most.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:34 AM, lesley said:

Maybe I'm repeating my self too much but take a look at xenforo and how they manage theme and their templates files (and child theme). it's great and easy to customize the site and maintain edits during updates. If you want to take a look I can give you access to a private xenforo clean installation.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:42 PM, lixotuka said:

I want to migrate my PS as soon as possible and I don't know if it's worth waiting for the new version.

Is it possible to know an approximate date? Will it be released this month?

Don't wait anymore. 1.0.8 works fine. I migrated from PS1.6.20 nearly a year ago and I am totally happy with the results: very few issues, just one PS module it didn't work (a module to use Google Authenticator to access backoffice) and excellent support from this forum.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:34 AM, lesley said:

Just an idea to bring something to thirty bees that other platforms do not have: a powerful native auction module. I use one, which is really good, and from my experience I can say customers love auctions of anything. This is the main reason why new users sing up to the site, and bidders usually become fixed price article buyers.

3 hours ago, cprats said:

Just an idea to bring something to thirty bees that other platforms do not have: a powerful native auction module. I use one, which is really good, and from my experience I can say customers love auctions of anything. This is the main reason why new users sing up to the site, and bidders usually become fixed price article buyers.

But isn't that quite a niche thing? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm only mindful of whether it would be a significant attractor.