thirty bees forum

Release date of the new version (1.3) and road map

When the next (major) version (1.3) of TB will be released? Is there any road map?

What it will contain / change. For example, whether there will be a new theme? Will it use the newest Bootstrap 5 etc.?

I have noticed it will drop support of PHP 5.6, I think it could drop support of PHP 7.0 too. No one should use such an old version of PHP in production environments. Actually, it would make sense the v1.3 of TB would support PHP 7.3 and up in order to evolve faster. For those who need to use older versions of PHP there could be (just) security maintained v1.2.x.

• 3 weeks later...

I know he did but I do also think he wrote he was feeling better a couple of weeks ago. I don't blame him. He does what he can and also do it good.

But it's a reminder how fragile this project is if it relies on one man.

I am not sure you can build a serious business on a platform with that in mind all the time.

11 hours ago, Briljander said:

I am not sure you can build a serious business on a platform with that in mind all the time.

You certainly can. Because the platform won't loose features just by time advancing. If there are sufficient features to run the shop now, these features will be there in 3 years as well. And there are a number of reliable developers.

• Like 4

On 6/19/2021 at 12:46 PM, Beeta said:

@Smilelast visit June the 9th 2021
@lesley last visit 9hrs ago

🤨

I have noticed this kind of few logins too. In general @Smile is kind of absent here. I can only guess, what it means. 

To me it feels, that @datakick must be his personal Dev. But Smile was ready to make Datakicks work open source. He could then make money with his normal business as a merchant and if TB gets successful, he could also have something as shop system owner. Maybe that was the plan. At least that is a plan, that would make sense for myself. I could be totally wrong about it... 

Maybe that we don't see a lot of commits, is due to a changed strategy!? I notice myself, that it's much more efficient to develop only for one business. You can skip a lot of stuff, that would need to be taken into consideration otherwise. Imagine you dont use multistore feature, then you wouldn't give a shit on it. Same for multi currencies, multi langs, digital products and so on... Again this is only my guesses/perspective.

If this is all wrong: why did Smile buy the company? And why don't we see more changes from Datakick? Maybe the work is just overhelming. You don't even know where to start. And merchants don't give back anything at all. 

I also had plans to get more involved in TB or ME. But finally always the same question arises: why should I do that? An Open Source Project does only work, if a lot of parties give something in. It takes so much time for me, to get anything merged. Not even talking about anything big. I tried it with "order shipping edit". It doesn't get interest at all and chances that it get merged is low too. Thats why so much things in my store were developed on custom basis. Maybe Smile is at the same point. If yes, it means the end for TB.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hope this week will shed some light on what's been going on. I hope datakick and smile are both OK and it's 'just' work or similar.

3 hours ago, wakabayashi said:

An Open Source Project does only work, if a lot of parties give something in.

I think that's key. From a financial perspective, without any other backing, I guess we'd need at least around forty to fifty merchants willing to pay ca. 100 Euro per month in order to become sustainable. It feels to me that our community might be too small for that, at least judging by the forum regulars.

The project is going forward as planned. There should be 2 major releases per year, 1.3.0 will be released during the summer. While we also planned to release s few bugfix releases, there weren't that many injections and regressions in 1.2 release to actually do that. That would be a lot of work to release 2 bugfixes.

I understand that it can look like not much is happening when you look at github repo(s), but a lot of work is done behind the scenes. Some is work on private repositories (thirtybees api server, data collection service, scheduler, etc). Some is work on public repositories that is not published yet (for example, there is an ongoing effort to make core and native modules php8 compatible, and this must be released as a big bang). Also, tb core repo is not the only one that receives some love. For example there's a big overhaul of core updater coming soon.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, datakick said:

The project is going forward as planned. There should be 2 major releases per year, 1.3.0 will be released during the summer. While we also planned to release s few bugfix releases, there weren't that many injections and regressions in 1.2 release to actually do that. That would be a lot of work to release 2 bugfixes.

I understand that it can look like not much is happening when you look at github repo(s), but a lot of work is done behind the scenes. Some is work on private repositories (thirtybees api server, data collection service, scheduler, etc). Some is work on public repositories that is not published yet (for example, there is an ongoing effort to make core and native modules php8 compatible, and this must be released as a big bang). Also, tb core repo is not the only one that receives some love. For example there's a big overhaul of core updater coming soon.

Good news. 😊

I understand there are just 2 major releases per year, it makes sense.

If I understand well, bleeding edge is not intended for production environments.

I don't understnad why there are no regular stable maintance/bugfix releases like 1.2.1 etc. available. It would be very good if stable bugfixed releases would be available. It would also regularly give message the project is alive.

But why this lack of information? We haven't seen any news on the page (maybe @Smile job?) but also these forum threads with dev sprints starting to miss out?

There is not much needed. I understand that you don't have time to answer everything here in the forums but at least it would be good to know what's happening and also whats not happening?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wakabayashi said:

I notice myself, that it's much more efficient to develop only for one business.

For the short term, that's certainly true. Long term not so much, because one deviates more and more from public sources. Eventually it's no longer possible to fetch public sources, one has to skip all the enhancements appearing there.

But finally always the same question arises: why should I do that?

This question applies to core developers as well 🙂 For me, it certainly needs some addiction and love for this blob of nice software.

And merchants don't give back anything at all. 

... or worse, they post extended wishlists here, which they expect to be implemented for free 🙂 Some even yell around if they don't get donated what they want (looking at you, @Briljander).

And then there are merchants which got the idea: they engage developers for this or that task, happily pay an extra hour for solid solutions in favor of barely working ones and happily see the result of this work going public.

That said, one reason for not so much appearing in core is that most work on shops goes into third party modules. Some are quite fragile and break as soon as used together with another module.

Another reason is that new features aren't ready for prime time the moment they get implemented. Core Updater had to be written three times until it was good enough. Err, I mean until it was as great as it's now. Merchant's Edition's next new feature, recognition of updateable PrestaShop modules, currently gets implemented for the second time as well. First version simply didn't work out in some details, so it doesn't make sense to push these commits to public 🙂

• Like 1

Good to see people are caring a lot for this project. I have to divide my time between my normal store and TB. This can be a challenge and even more with all the changes in the world (raising prices preventive home stay and more 😅). They don't make it more simple. But we will get there and soon a short newsletter will be send out. 

And as more people mention in this topic, what do you expect. Within this topic there is only one paying support costumer and one backer. And I don't have to tell you what a developer in the EU will cost 😉 So please join as backer it support us in the feeling we do good and we can have a biscuit with the thee!

Currently I pay this project for more than 95% with my own money, and we would love to change this in the opposite 🙂 I don't need a profit, but break even would be nice some day!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think that continue to post some news about the project it’s needed to encourage new shop admins to convert their shops to TB making community numbers bigger.

For example  if @datakick is sick and doesn’t reply for some week on the forum I think that @Smileneed to write some news to relax the community about it.

I think that to get more help from the community the project need to give to the community a stable perception for the long run.

Edited by Beeta

11 minutes ago, Beeta said:

I think that continue to post some news about the project it’s needed to encourage new shop admins to convert their shops to TB making community numbers bigger.

esample if @datakick is sick and doesn’t reply for some week on the forum I think that @Smileneed to write some news to relax the community about it.

I think that to get more help from the community the project need to give to the community a stable perception for the long run.

Is this a voluntary job application for community manager 😉 or any like wise position?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Traumflug said:

Some even yell around if they don't get donated what they want

Your such a prick @Traumflug. What are you even doing here? Shouldn't you be in your own forum or coding on your own software?

if you had read my standpoint earlier I really don't want anything for free. I would happily pay for everything but I won't put my money into a black hole without knowing what I get or even get information of what's going on.

For your information I do already have my own employed developer and I do have a budget each year of about 10000-15000 EUR for different development purposes but at this point I don't put a penny in here.

7 hours ago, Traumflug said:

Merchant's Edition's next new feature, recognition of updateable PrestaShop modules, currently gets implemented for the second time as well. First version simply didn't work out in some details, so it doesn't make sense to push these commits to public 🙂

Mind if I pick up on this post? 

11 minutes ago, Briljander said:

if you had read my standpoint earlier I really don't want anything for free. I would happily pay for everything but I won't put my money into a black hole without knowing what I get or even get information of what's going on.

For your information I do already have my own employed developer and I do have a budget each year of about 10000-15000 EUR for different development purposes but at this point I don't put a penny in here.

I understand this point of view of being hesitant. I've donated somewhat to thirtybees through paid development or one-off donations in the past,etc. However, it took me a leap of faith to become a monthly backer today, albeit with a rather small amount. I'd be happy to contribute more once things develop and stand on firmer legs.

In my opinion, if you hand out here in the forum, donate at least a bit on a monthly basis. It doesn't hurt, it'll help attract new users and hopefully we can also get some developers to add their modules to the store. We need an ecosystem with third party modules, as @Traumflugrightly mentioned in his previous post. A lot of necessary services are not supported out of the box.

I'd like to stay with thirtybees but I can only do so as long as certain important thirty party modules or connector services exist.

• Like 2

Thirtybees has always been a cute geek chitchat project talking about code.

That's certainly important but it's just going to be a dead end as far as I can see because the big picture of building this to be world leading project including a dedicated team of module builders is just never going to happen.

This guy Smile either has no vision or he keeps everything to himself, neither of which is going to work for him or anyone else.

It will only ever be this cute geek project unless someone serious with some credibility, vision and money comes along very soon and stamps some clear goals on this project.

I have many Prestashop modules none of which are going to work shortly as tb wanders off like a lonely elderly goat towards its death.

Years go by waiting for something serious to happen but it never does and probably never will.