thirty bees forum

[Free Module]Revws - Product Reviews

datakick

I dont know if i would call this a bug, but...

I'm using v1.2.0, and have Default customer name format set to Krona.  Well when the person actually has one setup it works fine, however if a person doesnt, instead of using Krona settings, it uses a hard coded(?) John D. format, it should use krona Default Display Name, I would think....

edit: hmmm.  maybe its because i did an upgrade and not a fresh install, I'm not sure.  But when I change the Default Customer name format, the change isn't showing in the FO.

edit: my 1.0.12 site is doing the same thing, when I change the name format shouldnt I see the changes in the FO?

Edited by SLiCK_303

5 hours ago, SLiCK_303 said:

I dont know if i would call this a bug, but...

I'm using v1.2.0, and have Default customer name format set to Krona.  Well when the person actually has one setup it works fine, however if a person doesnt, instead of using Krona settings, it uses a hard coded(?) John D. format, it should use krona Default Display Name, I would think....

This is responsibility of Krona module.

5 hours ago, SLiCK_303 said:

edit: hmmm.  maybe its because i did an upgrade and not a fresh install, I'm not sure.  But when I change the Default Customer name format, the change isn't showing in the FO.

edit: my 1.0.12 site is doing the same thing, when I change the name format shouldnt I see the changes in the FO?

This option is does not work retroactively. When review is created, customer display name is saved into database, and is used forever. The *Default customer name* option just tells Revws module how to generate default value, so your customers don't need to enter their names. But it's only a default value, they can still change the display name to whatever they want, and it will be used. 

3 hours ago, SLiCK_303 said:

The paid version has a send review request function, i'd love to see some screenshots of the email it sends out, with multiple products...

The email displays all products in order. One product is considered primary -- the most expensive one, and name of this product is used in email title. The email contains hover-able stars that are displayed if the email client supports it. Some email clients blocks images, css or other browser functionality - for these the stars are not displayed, but it fallbacks to simple links 1 2 3 4 5

image.png.ea6b1d3f0f59550f5cd8df0ab8e54170.png

1 hour ago, SLiCK_303 said:

I'm not sure to post paid version questions here or not, but here is one more for ya.

I'm on your demo site... where is this tab coming from?

dk.PNG.2817a1cc31e82aaec89bb874419341d0.PNG

That's revwsrecent - Recent Reviews Free module

14 hours ago, wakabayashi said:

Yes thats my fault. I will look at it and improve it for 2.0 version.

actually it was operator error, it works fine.

18 hours ago, datakick said:

That's revwsrecent - Recent Reviews Free module

Of course, ty for pointing that out, I just didnt see it on the demo sites BO

18 hours ago, datakick said:

This option is does not work retroactively. When review is created, customer display name is saved into database, and is used forever.

I figured since it showed the customers full name in the BO, that it was a dynamic thing, not something saved in the db.  Guess I was wrong.. 😉

6 minutes ago, SLiCK_303 said:

Why does your recent reviews looks like this on your site, showing the product pic and suchrev1.PNG.a7c84a8ee360330a9326c7f3f062a353.PNG

and mine looks like this, with no clue what product it's talking aboutrev2.PNG.a35d4268e3e214c6cdc9789525fa3e68.PNG

I believe he's projecting the page <yourdomain>/reviews into the custom Html block. And it doesn't require the recent reviews module.

Edited by x97wehner

Why does your recent reviews looks like this on your site, showing the product pic and such

and mine looks like this, with no clue what product it's talking about

That's because I modified revwsrecent/views/templates/hook/content.tpl template and changed line

{hook h='displayRevwsReviewList' allowPaging=false}

to

{hook h='displayRevwsReviewList' reviewStyle='item-with-product' allowPaging=false}

Note that you can customize the widget more by passing these options:

• displayReply - display shop replies or not. Allowed values: true | false. Default true
  • displayCriteria - controls how to display criteria breakdown. Allowed values: inline | side | false. Default value is the one set up in your settings
  • reviewStyle - controls review style. Allowed values: item | item-with-product. Default value item
  • order - how to order reviews in list. Allowed values: date | usefulness | author | product | title | content | grade | id. Default is date
  • orderDir - order in descending or ascending - Allowed values: desc | asc. Default value desc
  • pageSize - how many reviews should be displayed on one page. Default 5 reviews
  • allowPaging - controls if paging is allowed or not. Default value true
  • product - display reviews for specific product only
  • customer - display reviews submitted by specific customer
  • guest - display reviews submitted by specific anonymous visitor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, datakick said:

That's because I modified revwsrecent/views/templates/hook/content.tpl template and changed

wow...cool.  thanks for the info!

edit:  do you have to edit the core files?  or can you do an override?  I tried an override and it didnt seem to work.....

Edited by SLiCK_303

I cant for the life of me get the allowPaging to work, I've tried to set it to true (default) and i've tried just leaving it out (since it defaults to true), either way I see no pagination happening with the revwsrecent module

I've just tested it on my demo account and it works, as you can see here. My current settings:

{hook h='displayRevwsReviewList' reviewStyle='item-with-product' allowPaging=true}

4 hours ago, datakick said:

I've just tested it on my demo account and it works, as you can see here. My current settings:

{hook h='displayRevwsReviewList' reviewStyle='item-with-product' allowPaging=true}

I see it's working for you, so I'll look at it again, maybe its a caching issue...

New version 1.2.1 released -- this version does not contains any new functionality, but it brings Polish, French and Portuguese translations kindly provided by module users.

I would also like to ask all of you that translated revws module to some language that isn't supported by default -- please export your translation and send it to me. I will include it into next module release. This will save your countrymen a lot of work

• 5 weeks later...

@datakick I've noticed that request emails that go to yahoo, gmail, most exchange addresses, and even my own domain always strip out the product image and stars, making the email look pretty terrible. See below. I realize that those companies do a lot of auto stripping by default, but do you, or does anyone else, know a way we can slide through better image formatting so they show up at least part of the time?

image.thumb.png.1bef6cea39f50ad23af8af4d3205bdd9.png

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Chandra said:

Hi @datakick, it looks like the download link for the free version on the tb store is not working. Can you please check.

Maybe tb store github integration is down, or there's some problem with it. I can't do much about it.

Anyway you can download it either from my store, or directly from github. 

7 hours ago, datakick said:

Maybe tb store github integration is down, or there's some problem with it. I can't do much about it.

Anyway you can download it either from my store, or directly from github. 

Done that.

Interestingly other modules download fine.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, x97wehner said:

@datakick I've noticed that request emails that go to yahoo, gmail, most exchange addresses, and even my own domain always strip out the product image and stars, making the email look pretty terrible. See below. I realize that those companies do a lot of auto stripping by default, but do you, or does anyone else, know a way we can slide through better image formatting so they show up at least part of the time?

image.thumb.png.1bef6cea39f50ad23af8af4d3205bdd9.png

hi @datakick is this solved?

Thanks

Could someone point me in the direction of where to translate the tab name? It is 'Reviews' for me in my target language and I've translated all 'Reviews' entry under Translations>Installed module translations>My language to the target language.

Thank you!

Edit: Translations somehow simply didn't get saved. All good now. 🙂

Edited by 30knees
Update

On 3/26/2020 at 7:14 PM, rubben1985 said:

hi @datakick is this solved?

Thanks

It's not "solved", because there is nothing to solve. I don't consider this to be an issue on module side. This is just the fact of life - different email clients displays emails differently.

Some email clients support css, some of them support svg image format. Some of them support external images, some of them supports inline/base64 images. Some of them supports external css files. Some of them supports javascript. Some email clients strips html tags. 

It almost impossible to have email that contains some advanced functionality (like review starts with hover effect) and expect that this will be displayed in every email client consistently. It is just not possible.

The email template that comes with revws module is a compromise. It shows nicely in many clients (for example apple email). But there are those (usually browser based) clients that displays the content stripped. But even here the email is usable, because the template have fallbacks.

If you don't like default email template, you can of course edit it and change it to whatever you like. 

• Like 1